2dr jk, tent mounted directly on hardtop....

Gonzzo

Observer
Hi all:

Has anyone ever mounted a roof tent directly to the roof of a 2dr jk?.....

I have seen some pictures of this somewhere, can't seem to find them now, or any information of this ever being done for that matter.

If you have any information on the matter, please share!....

Thank you!.

Sent from my BLA-A09 using Tapatalk

jacobconroy

Hillbilly of Leisure
Ask and ye shall receive:

low boy.jpg

I found this pic on the Interwebs in 2015 when I was researching my JK options and thought it looked really cool. Note the straps that he ran over the A-pillars.

But, I'll bet that the setup above is a squeaky, leaky fiasco. The fiberglass top isn't meant to hold any kind of load, much less any dynamic load. I'll bet that it is a struggle to keep your toes on the upper part of the ladder when using the tent (because the ladder would be very, very close to the fiberglass top).

I have a lot of experience with a top-heavy 2-door and would suggest that you consider a good rack. It would probably be much more solid and versatile. Just my opinion. :)

It does look damned cool though.

Viatorem

Sorry no pics of my rig just yet (98 TJ). I'm working on a rack/platform design that will attach to the aftermarket yakima rails of my hardtop. The platform is very similar to a Rhino Rack Backbone. A small, lightweight RTT will work well on the platform. Small like a ~100lb 1-2 person RTT. And No bulky rack system like Kongo or Gobi. And... the platform will also mount to the sport bar when the hardtop is off. And... the platform will have "lift-points" so you can lift the entire hardtop + platform off with a garage lift system.
Sorry so off-topic, and no pics. LOL!

Justincredible

Adventurer
I have been thinking about something similar but for a soft top mounting directly to the roll bar Any ideas
Olympic quick & easy bars.
You'll have to cut 4 holes in the soft top for the attachment points to pass through, but it'd work.

J20194

jacobconroy

Hillbilly of Leisure
I'm sure you probably know this...but I believe that the Gobi racks will hinge backwards so that you can open and close a soft top....

If that's true it would be pretty slick. Though working the hinge with the weight of an RTT on top might be a good trick.

G0to60

Observer
Its almost as if a company needs to make a soft top that is also a roof rack.

Rugged Ridge has a rack with the soft top integrated into it. Looks like it has a 300lb dynamic load so that should handle most RTT and some gear.

J103715.jpg

J103715_alt6.jpg

ChasingOurTrunks

I'm sure you probably know this...but I believe that the Gobi racks will hinge backwards so that you can open and close a soft top....

If that's true it would be pretty slick. Though working the hinge with the weight of an RTT on top might be a good trick.

I can 100% confirm this, they sell quick releases too if you want to be able to do this without tools. With the rack's pivot point and the tent mounted at the back, it was actually really easy to pivot the tent off the one time we did it with ours. Neat feature if you have a soft top, otherwise we didn't use it often enough to justify the quick releases on our hard top.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles