2Dogs M101a3 Build

2Dogs

Hi All!
I have not contributed a bunch here but I have gained so many ideas and motivation from projects on this site. I hope to balance that out, starting now. We have outgrown the first trailer (not enough room for 2 adults, 2 kids, and dog, even for short trips) so a new build is in the works! Everything worked well on the first trailer with the exception of the heavy tent on the narrow track trailer – too tippy!

First trailer (IBv1):

1946 Bantam ¼ ton. Don’t be too upset about this being heavily modified - while it was rust free it was in rough shape from many years of use and we spent many hours cleaning and straightening the bed (frame was in good shape).
Tires/Wheels – 3 Yokohama Geolander ATS, 33x12.50-15
Fenders – 16 gauge steel, zinc primed (can be used for step)
Shock absorbers added
Hinged lid on hydraulic struts
Tent mount - RTT rack on hydraulic struts (internal to the posts), 20” lift
LED lights with new wiring
Spare on swing gate
D-rings on back
Eye-bolts all around
15 gallon fresh water tank
12v pump
Interstate 12v deep cycle battery
Receiver mount on trailer (for Lock-n-Roll or regular ball hitch system)
Bulldog Trailer jack 158151 on front
BAL 5th wheel level system on rear (36” manual)

IMG_08859.JPG

New build (IBv2):
M101A3 (I need to record the date, forgot it). Very clean and included stakes, sides, and cover (I will be selling that stuff and the HMMWV tires/wheels to help fund the build).

Goals :
New tongue / receiver hitch for Lock and Roll. K5 hitch and trailer frame height nearly identical.
PIC

Moving RTT from IBv1 to IBv2 (Tepui Kukenam Ruggedized, 4 person, annex)

Tires/wheels – identical to tow vehicle.
37" Nitto Trail Grappler - balance well seem to do ok on and off road.
17" Trail Gear beadlocks - these wheels are one of my favorite components on the truck, super heavy duty, no leaks, and look great!

Corner-steadys or jacks to level. Anyone know what happened to BAL? I built the first trailer with long BAL jacks (30+?) and would use those again….

Lid – hinged front and rear, custom build.

Water tank – at least 20 gallon
Water pump

LED trailer lights

Truck box with battery and control station

Solar charging system – I do not have a handle on this yet, will be researching soon

IMG_1727.JPGIMG_1768.JPG

And the conceptual design (thanks @ToRo13 for the base image) -

Design RTT Rack and Lid.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_1770.JPG
    IMG_1770.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 35
Is the body alum or steel? Did you actually keep the stock axle? Those things are rated for like 5 tons!!!! They also weigh just as much. Sold mine from my 116a2 and went with a 3,500 Flexride with 4" lift blocks on frame. Works perfect and saves a ton of weight. My build post Grill a Cow describes swapping to 5x6 lug hubs and the Toyota stud issue. As for the solar I am using a Victron Energy 75/15 with 2 100W panels, dual agm batteries 100ah. Just finished up a 7 day trip and panels only had maybe 4 hrs direct sunlight per day and by end of day they where on float so no issues. A+ on the gussets, not shown but also do lateral gussets. From your pre-planning and this being #2 trailer you probably got that. I used these guys for my 25g water tank.Class Customs Really nice price. On all the water plumbing use PEX or other semi hard line with the push in connectors. Saves a bunch of headaches and you will never have to do it again. If you tap in a portable insta hot water shower no problem. Might think of linear actuators for raising the lid. Plan it in the beginning because hindsight (like where im at) can be much more difficult. With the tent that far back it makes it easy to move around by hand easy but remember at least a 60/40 weight distribution front when loaded. Water tank above axle as it could be loaded b4 trip and empty on way home so don't add it.

Looks really good. Keep us updated.

2Dogs

Dirtweazle -
Thanks for the comments!

The M101a series trailers are all steel. I think the a3 version is near 1500lb unloaded. I have a fullsize truck (7200lb empty) heavily modified including an 8.1l engine to drag this around with. I do plan on scrapping the surge brake controller and stock tires/wheels which will help reduce weight.

Stock axle will stay - same lug pattern as the truck.

Thanks you for the solar feedback!

RTT rack - I have gone back and forth on lift / no lift and had pretty much decided to go without. Thanks for resetting that again for me :ROFLMAO: I have plans for internal lift based upon bullet actuators (internal). After the lid I will only have ~10" gap to lower to, not sure the time and expense is worth it. Cool factor might be the deciding variable.

Weight of the tent on the rear - yes, that is a concern. I know tongue box and batteries will help with the balance, thinking i might go dual 6v batteries if I need extra weight up front.

2Dogs

So the weekend was all about levelers on the rear of the trailer. The tall BAL c jack I have on the small trailer fit great. I would buy more of those but it looks like BAL is out of business or waaay behind in inventory or supply chain. Does anybody know?

ARK Corner Steadies look good but I am not sure they will fit. And I do not like the idea of trying to return something like that after mock-up.

Last edited:

2Dogs

I could not find the BAL c -jacks in 30+ extension so I just ordered the Ark Corner Steadies, 19-30“ version.

2Dogs

I received the Ark Corner Steadies - VERY nice components! However they will be a few inches short of touching the ground when mounted to the tub. The extendable portion of the leg (and overall toughness of the unit) will allow me to add a 4 or 5" extension with no problems and still be 100% stronger than my BAL c-jacks.

Pics of the new jacks coming as soon as I figure out how to mount them, they are heavy!

Pic of the BAL jacks on the outgoing trailer -
IMG_0646.JPG

2Dogs

Some progress -

It is towable now - with the Lock-n-Roll
Lift posts started - I am going with linear actuators instead of internal gas struts
Ark Corner steadies mounted - extended legs 5"

Attachments

• 1604700116298.jpeg
    1604700116298.jpeg
    951.3 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_2002.JPG
    IMG_2002.JPG
    907.5 KB · Views: 45

2Dogs

Progress on the trailer is slow, life is fast at the moment....

I did make brake light boxes and finished the corner steady mounts. Neglected pictures, will fix that soon.

2Dogs

Finally remembered to take pics of the corner steadies - with the extension on the legs I think I can just lift a tire off the ground (with no additional blocks)

IMG_2089.JPGIMG_2090.JPGIMG_2091.JPG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz