285/70R17 or similar "33 inch" pure winter tire

Grassland

Anyone running an actual winter tire in 33"?
Preferably on a 17" rim?
My 4 year old KO2s are just brutal and I'm about ready to buy dedicated winters. Nothing coming up on tire rack with the 285/70R17 size for true winters, just all the usual winter rated all terrains and I'm about done with that.

buellconvert

I can't speak to true winter tires, but I've been extremely impressed with my Toyo Open Country A/TIII in the 285/75r17 on my Silverado. I previously had the BFG KO2 and these are much much better in every way!

Sent from my moto g power (2021) using Tapatalk

jadmt

ignore button user
255/80-17 are slightly taller than a 285/70-17 and skinner and the Falken AT3W is really a good winter tire.

Grassland

I mean, maybe other winter rated ATs notably outperform the KO2, but I really don't want to go down that road purely for winter.
Wildpeaks and Toyo AT3 in 255/80R17 are on my list of 60% of the year tires once these turds weather crack or wear down a bit more.
Cooper seems to have discontinued the old M+S snow tire, has some snowclaw now but it's out of stock everywhere I've looked.

Edit:
It's -18 C and my wife and I went delivering Christmas cards and gifts to family and friends and she commented how unsafe the truck was and that it was border line comical how it just slid around at 10-15 km/h and that we should have taken the WK2 (she said Jeep) which is on Hankook ice pikes

Redline61

Observer
Step down a side if needed. Pure winter tires are miles better than every winter rated AT I have ever tried (BFG's, Wildpeaks, duratracs, old Toyo AT's). I have a AT on my trucks but always have a daily driver that is usually a RWD BMW and it is always amazing the difference in traction between them. Obviously this isn't apples to apples but stopping and turning are amazingly better on my dd. 275/70R17 isn't much different in size and has options. Nokian makes some pretty good winter tires. I had them on my last pickup and loved them.

Alloy

Haven't found a winter tire that is still soft after 4 years.
I was running KO2s. They lasted 4 winters towing the trailer then I switched to Falken AT3Ws to try something different.

Tread depth on the AT3W is deeper. They cost $30CDN more but the sidewalls are not as strong.

AT3W are great in the snow but I don't think they are better than the KO2s. It surprises me how fast the AT3W plug up in the mud.

My $0.02.....

The AT3W deeper tread, 8lbs heavier and larger blocks make it last longer.

The KO2 smaller side blocks/more edges/more channeling/more sniping is better in snow and mud.

I'll add...I want more of a snow tire than an ice tire.

General Grabber A/TX is available in that size. I run them studded on a couple of trucks during the winter and they are excellent performers and wear well.

gnel

My Mastsercraft Courser CXT 255/85/16 have been excellent thus far. They are pre drilled for studs but I´ve never needed them. Disclaimer: I live in Mexico and don´t see ice or snow unless I´m up north (de ves en quando).

1000arms

Anyone running an actual winter tire in 33"?
Preferably on a 17" rim?
My 4 year old KO2s are just brutal and I'm about ready to buy dedicated winters. Nothing coming up on tire rack with the 285/70R17 size for true winters, just all the usual winter rated all terrains and I'm about done with that.
I haven't used them, but a quick search for "285/70R17 winter tire" brought up NOKIAN HAKKAPELIITTA LT3 285/70R17:

Reactions: plh

Grassland

Ugh, Kal Tire seems to be the dealer for Nokian in Winnipeg/Southern MB.
The nearest Kal Tire has just been a huge pain in the rare instances myself or an associate has used them. I'll have to look further out of the city.

235/80R17's are available in pure winter/snow patterns and are almost 33" tall...
No, they are a 31.8 or metric 32" tire. I've ran that size in KO2s and they are slightly smaller in diameter than 265/70R17

aknightinak

Ugh, Kal Tire seems to be the dealer for Nokian in Winnipeg/Southern MB.
The nearest Kal Tire has just been a huge pain in the rare instances myself or an associate has used them. I'll have to look further out of the city.

I had the same problem in Los Anchorage for years---one dealer, problems with every job. They finally went out of business. I still bought the tires every few years, just the one trip, never availed myself of the service freebies but paid whatever shop I used regularly to rotate or balance them after that. It was a small financial hit for the security the tires provide.

I had an old design of Coursers on a Subaru. They were quite good, basically a Cooper pattern. They have a new snow tire that comes in that 285, if that gives you more buying options. I can't speak for it, but the old, blocky design M&S is a popular choice hereabouts. The last time I did shop, I considered that one. This Snow Claw looks like a good update to it. I'd run that, or any true winter tire, before I studded an everyday AT again.

Grassland

$430+ a tire for the Snowclaw from Cooper one place I checked that actually had in stock.
I guess I'll skate around on the KO2s some more ?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles