275/65r-18 BFG KO2 on LR3?

Blaise

It rubs. It's not too terrible - certainly not enough to stress me out. I'll snap a photo if anyone cares.

Lemagus

I just added the BFG 265/65/18s and only had rubbing issues with the front wheels on the frame horns. This is with 18” wheels and 30mm spacers.

Maybe I just haven’t noticed the issues in the rear, which is fine by me, but have been on and off road over about 2k miles so far.

gatorgrizz27

Well, I ordered tires yesterday. I initially went with the 275’s, but after thinking a bit more I cancelled and switched to the 265’s. I’m not thrilled about it, but I didn’t want to deal with getting them mounted and finding out it was almost impossible to get into the spare location or that it wouldn’t move on the bumpstops. Realistically, the smaller size shouldn’t make a bit of difference for off-road use and will have small benefits for everyday use.

Ray_G

Explorer
Absolutely nothing wrong with the smaller size, and you are correct, it shouldn't hurt all that much offroad given the overall nature of the truck.

Jwestpro

Explorer
I just added the BFG 265/65/18s and only had rubbing issues with the front wheels on the frame horns. This is with 18” wheels and 30mm spacers.

Maybe I just haven’t noticed the issues in the rear, which is fine by me, but have been on and off road over about 2k miles so far.

Why are you using a spacer? No need for that on the lr3 and it only makes most of the clearance issues worse such as the frame horns. I admit that flush tires do look cool though.

Speedkills

Honest post—I’m surprised many haven’t lifted wheels when off-roading. We were getting a lot happening recently and figured it was pretty common. Am I the only one?

It's not just you, I am on 3 pretty much every weekend. Depends on the terrain you wheel in I guess. Mine is pretty rocky. Hard to find a line up this that doesn't lift a wheel.

Attachments

• IMG_1255.jpeg
    IMG_1255.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 38

Lemagus

Why are you using a spacer? No need for that on the lr3 and it only makes most of the clearance issues worse such as the frame horns. I admit that flush tires do look cool though.

@Jwestpro I was referring to my LR4. My bad for posting here on this LR3 thread. so pleased with the move to the 18’s I get a little post-happy I’m afraid. Definitely appreciate your comments on the forum - big reason I made the switch.

Last edited:

Jwestpro

Explorer
@Jwestpro I was referring to my LR4. My bad for posting here on this LR3 thread. so pleased with the moves to the 18’s I get a little post-happy I’m afraid. Definitely appreciate your comments on the forum - big reason I made the switch.
ah ok, i was wondering. my spacers are still on because i was lazy last time changing out from the winter set and mine clear all the rub points. I get used to the look and then when the spacers come off it seems weird LOL

mountainshinobi

I know this is an older thread, but if it helps anyone, I went through this debate too with my 2005 LR3.

My main concern was I wanted to put a full size spare tire under the vehicle in the stock location, not have to get an expensive (or in my opinion, unsightly) rear spare tire bumper mount, or to have to put it on a roof rack or in the vehicle. Other concern was that it's important for me to tow often, and I personally like and use the detachable Land Rover hitch receiver that snaps in and out, so it was imperative I was able to get that part in and out without the spare tire getting in the way, and to be able to get the tire up or down easily even if the hitch receiver was still installed as well. If you have an aftermarket hitch, you might want to make sure it's not going to get in the way of the spare tire. I also didn't want to have to make any modifications to wheel wells or bumpers due to rubbing issues.

So with all that in mind, I definitely concluded that 265/65 is as big as you can get in there without modifications or having to air the spare down to some silly stupid low PSI to stuff it in there with your foot or a jack. I was able to get a brand new full size 265/65 K02 in the spare location, just a very tiny bit of friction where the tire met the hitch mount location, but with just a tiny bit of tire bead grease on the metal in the hitch area, it slid in easily (that's what she said). Mind you these were brand new tires, when my tires wear out more, it'll be even easier to get it in there and out, and once my tires get down to say 15% tread left, I'll probably just leave one of them in the spare location and stop rotating it with the others so I don't have to buy 5 tires every time and rotate all 5 each rotation cycle. As far as rubbing goes on the fronts, I get absolutely none unless I hit a driveway curb only when in the lowest access mode, which is a rarity I'm in that mode anyways, I have never once had any in the "middle" road or highest off-road height settings, though I do have a very generous 3 to 4 inch software lift with the GAP IID tool which I do recommend (both the tool and lifting up at least 2" minimum).

Another note to consider is if your air suspension fails, as these sometimes can do and as mine did, when my compressor went bye-bye, that with the 265/65, when the vehicle went down all the way to the bump stops, the vehicle still had just enough clearance (barely) to not rub with these size tires, thus not destroying your wheel wells. If you want to go bigger than this tire size, the only other way around this issue is to get the SYA bump spacer kit I've seen from proud Rhino. This gives the air suspension another couple inches so if you go to bump stops, you don't bottom out your wheel well on the tire. Also helps with hyperextension when you already run a lift. Anyways...

As far as vanity goes, I can assure you the 265/65 still look very boss, at least with my KO2s, and as far as performance, 265 vs 275 really isn't going to be any dramatic or limiting factor in any trail situation when you run into trouble.

Anyone considering the two sizes won't regret getting the 265/65 size. It's nice to be able to fit it into the spare tire well without modification or have to modify your bumpers or wheel well plastics, and still looks way better and performs way better than the stock tires.

Only "mods" I made for these larger tires was to take out the plastic shield that sits between the spare tire and exhaust pipes and to zip-tie the wiring cable in the front driver side wheel well so that the tire wouldn't rub into the wiring protective plastic tubing when turned hard left. Just zip tie the cable set a bit higher up the frame and you will make sure it never rubs.

And if you haven't already...get the GAP IID tool. It's saved my bacon in countless ways and was the very first purchase I made due to recommendations from previous LR3/4 owners. Should have came with the car that's how instrumental and important and useful it is.

Last edited:

denver6161

I appreciate your update and experience regarding fitment and sizing. I have an 06 HSE and I've been going back and forth with myself on whether to bite the bullet and buy some 18 wheels and actually get the KO2s I know and enjoy or paying up and getting 19 duratracs. My head is telling me to just stick with the 19inch wheels and deal with the limited selection of tires but I know having the 18 inch option will be easier to live with down the road.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles