270 Degree awning that also works at 180 degrees?

Pgopinath

I am looking to install an awning on my Earthroamer Jeep. The rear door is hinged on the curbside so I would want a driver's side mounted awning. I mostly travel alone so I need something that can be deployed solo and without legs being mandatory - Alucab like.

Are there any awnings that are designed to give 270 degree coverage that can also be used at 180 degrees . In those circumstances where i fully don't open up the lofttop of the ER i would like to be able to cover the driver's side and the rear. In those instances where I have the lofttop fully opened out it would be nice to open up the awning to 180 degrees and latch it to the side of the opened up top.

I looked at every video i could find on line and all the 270 deg awning open through 180 degrees to get to 270. What i haven't been able to tell from the videos is whether I would have a lot of lose fabric hanging down at the 180 position. I have enough of that in the Jeep from the lofttop :(. Can the excess fabric be bunched up and stuffed back into the roof mounted bag?

Would a kind Alucab owner check and maybe send me a photo or two?

Thanks
Prabha

Crazy Schooner

Fortune's A Mistress
I had my awning open to dry it off, so I figured i'd snap some pictures for you. The last picture shows the best result you'll get with this awning if its not fully deployed. The second arm needs to be pulled back to it's normal (open) resting position to create enough tension. That arm also carries the support leg, so that helps.

Fully open
xg8w1VV.jpg

Last two arms left straight out. This wont work as the second arm only extends out so far, so the fabric will just hang.
sRXIy2r.jpg

Last two arms put next to the second arm. Fabric is partially sitting on the bungee cord I have hooked onto the second arm. This will be your best result.
b2U36BI.jpg

You can roll that fabric up and tuck it into the last small awning arm.
deGialJ.jpg

80t0ylc

Hill & Gully Rider
Schooner, what brand 270* awning is that?
Can you not see Alu Cab etched into the arms in the 1st photo?

I am looking to install an awning on my Earthroamer Jeep. The rear door is hinged on the curbside so I would want a driver's side mounted awning. I mostly travel alone so I need something that can be deployed solo and without legs being mandatory - Alucab like.

Are there any awnings that are designed to give 270 degree coverage that can also be used at 180 degrees . In those circumstances where i fully don't open up the lofttop of the ER i would like to be able to cover the driver's side and the rear. In those instances where I have the lofttop fully opened out it would be nice to open up the awning to 180 degrees and latch it to the side of the opened up top.

I looked at every video i could find on line and all the 270 deg awning open through 180 degrees to get to 270. What i haven't been able to tell from the videos is whether I would have a lot of lose fabric hanging down at the 180 position. I have enough of that in the Jeep from the lofttop :(. Can the excess fabric be bunched up and stuffed back into the roof mounted bag?

Would a kind Alucab owner check and maybe send me a photo or two?

Thanks
Prabha

If you are in a calm windless environment, I'd say you could get away with your idea. But, the world I live in has wind. And it is very unpredictable. I have an Alu Cab and I would NOT recommend trying this with an Alu Cab Shadow. If you've seen the damage that unexpected wind gusts can do to awnings, you would know why I'm saying this. The damage can happen when normally setup with all pre-cautions observed. If the awning is limp, as it would be when not full extended - the sky is the limit - could also damage other things in your setup. Awnings tend to resemble parachutes when the wind starts to have it's way with it.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles