270 deg square back?

MatthewSimm

Hey guys,
This is Matthew Simmons, the owner of Kinsmen Hardware.
I apologize our website is missing a lot of detail but it will be updated very soon. The about me page is not a different language, it's just dummy place-holder text called Lorem Ipsum.

Awnings are in production and I'm taking orders. The first batch is complete and nearly sold out. Next batch will begin later this month. Lead time 4-6 weeks.
We have not had a reinforcement patch stitch leak yet.
We are gathering roof rack info through the form so I can prioritize mount development.
Awning has been deployed and performed well with one guy line in 20mph sustained winds with 40mph gust during tropical storm Michael last month. Has also had 2 inches of NC snow on top without poles. videos and pics on our instagram account.

Showers will begin production after the pre-sale to deliver early December.

We'll be at Overland Expo East in the Blue Ridge Overland Gear booth, come see us!

Here's some quick features and specs:
Rapid Deploy Awning
- $1499.99 Retail; Sale until Nov. 11 $1349.99
Features
  • Rapid deployment (20sec) and storage (1min)
  • Made in USA
  • Sunbrella® marine fabric canopy by Blue Ridge Overland Gear
  • Industrial stainless spring pin for auto-lock open
  • Three pop up arms for optimal water shedding
  • Guy loops on canopy for extreme condition stability and water shedding
  • Stainless and Brass hardware; Poly Bushings
  • Powder coated steel tube truss frame for strength and light weight
  • Hook/Loop trim and snaps for future accessories (walls, room enclosure, lights, etc.)
Specifications
  • Dimensions
    • Open: 150"L x 118" W
    • Closed: 91"L x 7”W x 7”HKHRDA_Canopy_Dims.png
  • Weight: 70 lbs
  • Mounting options: Universal round tube, Front Runner Slimline II, Rhino Rack Pioneer, and more coming soon!
  • Warranty 3 year fabric, 5 year frame
Rapid Deploy Shower Camp Stall
- $399 Retail; Pre-Sale Nov. 5-11 for $369 with free shipping from Blue Ridge Overland Gear
Features
  • Rapid deployment (20sec) and storage (1min
  • Made in USA
  • Cordura® fabric stall by Blue Ridge Overland Gear
  • Stall attached with buckles to easily rotate opening direction
  • Poly rods in top and bottom perimeter to provide rigidity
  • Guy out loops on bottom corners and each side-wall for extreme conditions
  • Powder coated Steel tube frame
  • Stainless and Brass hardware
  • Poly bushings
Specifications
  • Dimensions (see image)
    • Mounting height range: 70'-84" from ground
    • Open - 28" x 28" top tapered to 36" x 36" bottom
    • Closed - 36”L x 6”W x 6”HKHRDS_Stall_Dims.png
  • Weight: 15 lbs
Let me know if you have any questions and i'll do my best to answer.

80t0ylc

Hill & Gully Rider
Hey guys,
This is Matthew Simmons, the owner of Kinsmen Hardware.
I apologize our website is missing a lot of detail but it will be updated very soon. The about me page is not a different language, it's just dummy place-holder text called Lorem Ipsum.

Awnings are in production and I'm taking orders. The first batch is complete and nearly sold out. Next batch will begin later this month. Lead time 4-6 weeks.
We have not had a reinforcement patch stitch leak yet.
We are gathering roof rack info through the form so I can prioritize mount development.
Awning has been deployed and performed well with one guy line in 20mph sustained winds with 40mph gust during tropical storm Michael last month. Has also had 2 inches of NC snow on top without poles. videos and pics on our instagram account.

Showers will begin production after the pre-sale to deliver early December.

We'll be at Overland Expo East in the Blue Ridge Overland Gear booth, come see us!

Here's some quick features and specs:
Rapid Deploy Awning
- $1499.99 Retail; Sale until Nov. 11 $1349.99
Features
  • Rapid deployment (20sec) and storage (1min)
  • Made in USA
  • Sunbrella® marine fabric canopy by Blue Ridge Overland Gear
  • Industrial stainless spring pin for auto-lock open
  • Three pop up arms for optimal water shedding
  • Guy loops on canopy for extreme condition stability and water shedding
  • Stainless and Brass hardware; Poly Bushings
  • Powder coated steel tube truss frame for strength and light weight
  • Hook/Loop trim and snaps for future accessories (walls, room enclosure, lights, etc.)
Specifications
  • Dimensions
  • Weight: 70 lbs
  • Mounting options: Universal round tube, Front Runner Slimline II, Rhino Rack Pioneer, and more coming soon!
  • Warranty 3 year fabric, 5 year frame
Rapid Deploy Shower Camp Stall
- $399 Retail; Pre-Sale Nov. 5-11 for $369 with free shipping from Blue Ridge Overland Gear
Features
  • Rapid deployment (20sec) and storage (1min
  • Made in USA
  • Cordura® fabric stall by Blue Ridge Overland Gear
  • Stall attached with buckles to easily rotate opening direction
  • Poly rods in top and bottom perimeter to provide rigidity
  • Guy out loops on bottom corners and each side-wall for extreme conditions
  • Powder coated Steel tube frame
  • Stainless and Brass hardware
  • Poly bushings
Specifications
  • Dimensions (see image)
    • Mounting height range: 70'-84" from ground
    • Open - 28" x 28" top tapered to 36" x 36" bottom
    • Closed - 36”L x 6”W x 6”HView attachment 482406
  • Weight: 15 lbs
Let me know if you have any questions and i'll do my best to answer.
Matthew, I'm interested in your Shower Camp stall. I already have a Alu Cab Shadow awning, so am impressed with your design, especially since your steel version is only 10 lbs heavier than the aluminum Alu Cab! A couple questions. Is 28" of open area on the side of my roof rack all that's needed to mount the shower stall? And how does one order a shower stall? TIA, Tom

MatthewSimm

Matthew, I'm interested in your Shower Camp stall. I already have a Alu Cab Shadow awning, so am impressed with your design, especially since your steel version is only 10 lbs heavier than the aluminum Alu Cab! A couple questions. Is 28" of open area on the side of my roof rack all that's needed to mount the shower stall? And how does one order a shower stall? TIA, Tom

thanks Tom! Yeah, comparatively we're not that much heavier and it's worth it for the strength gain.
28" is the fabric size, not the frame. The frame length is 32 but the actual closed dimension are 36"x6"x6" due to the 36" poly rods in the bottom. I would recommend having 32" minimum but 36" ideal open area on the side of the rack to mount.
To order just shoot me an email matthew@kinsmenhardware.com and I'll get an email invoice to ya. It'll ship early December.
thanks!

80t0ylc

Hill & Gully Rider
thanks Tom! Yeah, comparatively we're not that much heavier and it's worth it for the strength gain.
28" is the fabric size, not the frame. The frame length is 32 but the actual closed dimension are 36"x6"x6" due to the 36" poly rods in the bottom. I would recommend having 32" minimum but 36" ideal open area on the side of the rack to mount.
To order just shoot me an email matthew@kinsmenhardware.com and I'll get an email invoice to ya. It'll ship early December.
thanks!
E-mail sent - Thanks! And thanks for the mounting info - I'm sure it'll be useful to others, too. I think your company should do well - your products look like just what overlanders have wanted, but were not available.

fire_strom

Adventurer
Wow, I love it. My BunduEl is rad but I certainly wouldn't hang a hammock or do pull ups off it. Great job.
One question though, any plans for passenger side version?
-G

shade

In case someone missed it, the Kinsmen Awning earned a mention here:

Being a new product, I'm not surprised there aren't many (any?) reviews of the Kinsmen Awning. Has anyone seen independent reviews of it?

I think one would pair well with my GFC camper since they're nearly the same length when stowed, and I see that Kinsmen ships GFC mounting hardware. I'm interested in their shower, but I think a simpler solution for privacy may be to clip some fabric to the awning.

80t0ylc

Hill & Gully Rider
........... I'm interested in their shower, but I think a simpler solution for privacy may be to clip some fabric to the awning.
I have the Kinsmen shower and your solution might work on a completely calm day, but would be a disaster with any wind. Even the Kinsmen shower needs to have the lower corners staked down with any wind, and they have provided the loops to do it.

BTW, the Kinsmen shower sets up in less than a minute and doubles as a portable toilet enclosure. If strategically mounted on your rig, it can be used almost anywhere with acceptible privacy. The shower is shown briefly in your link, but doesn't do it justice. It is sturdy, easy to setup & take down and convenient. I've moved it from my rig to my newly aquired off road trailer and have no regrets in purchasing it. See my trailer link in my sig to see pics of the shower. I first saw the shower back in November 2018. I contacted Kinsmen and they offered a discount if ordered before a specific deadline as a introductory type of deal. I paid $370 for it at the time. But, I have no idea what it will be when actually hitting the market, since I have no affiliation or am not a dealer for Kinsmen. But, as I've already said, no regrets and consider it money well spent!

shade

I have the Kinsmen shower and your solution might work on a completely calm day, but would be a disaster with any wind. Even the Kinsmen shower needs to have the lower corners staked down with any wind, and they have provided the loops to do it.

BTW, the Kinsmen shower sets up in less than a minute and doubles as a portable toilet enclosure. If strategically mounted on your rig, it can be used almost anywhere with acceptible privacy. The shower is shown briefly in your link, but doesn't do it justice. It is sturdy, easy to setup & take down and convenient. I've moved it from my rig to my newly aquired off road trailer and have no regrets in purchasing it. See my trailer link in my sig to see pics of the shower. I first saw the shower back in November 2018. I contacted Kinsmen and they offered a discount if ordered before a specific deadline as a introductory type of deal. I paid $370 for it at the time. But, I have no idea what it will be when actually hitting the market, since I have no affiliation or am not a dealer for Kinsmen. But, as I've already said, no regrets and consider it money well spent!
I don't doubt that the Kinsmen Shower is a fine product, but my needs are different from yours. If I want privacy for changing clothes or use of a toilet, I can pop open my GFC in seconds and do that inside, and it packs up just as fast. That limits my need to just a shower stall, and I think a Kinsmen Awning would be useful to that end.

For a DIY shower, I'd have to experiment to optimize a solution, but it would have anchor points at the bottom. The key component would be solid anchor points at the top, and a Kinsmen awning would easily support it. For the anchoring system I have in mind, I think it would be easier to have a taut pitch with a triangular shape than with a square or rectangle. Two panels forming two sides a triangle, with the inner side that faces the vehicle left open.

The footprint would probably be similar to an equilateral triangle. Using the image for reference, the bottom of the triangle would be open, against the vehicle. The bottom vertices would be anchored to the vehicle, and the top vertex would be a staked point.

Leave enough of a gap between the fabric and vehicle to allow access; no zipper required. I'm guessing that each wall would need to be 1m wide on the open design, and the closed design would require a little wider walls to make up for the space lost. I'd experiment with a flat bed sheet before sewing up the actual parts using waterproof polyester fabric. If full coverage was desired, the same design could have fabric on all three sides, with an opening at the outer point at the staked edge, and the stake would support a zipper, like the Kinsmen Shower.

At least, that's what I've been considering.

agent00111

In case someone missed it, the Kinsmen Awning earned a mention here:

Being a new product, I'm not surprised there aren't many (any?) reviews of the Kinsmen Awning. Has anyone seen independent reviews of it?

I think one would pair well with my GFC camper since they're nearly the same length when stowed, and I see that Kinsmen ships GFC mounting hardware. I'm interested in their shower, but I think a simpler solution for privacy may be to clip some fabric to the awning.
I actually coordinated with Kinsmen Hardware to have their awning installed on my jeep will at Overland Expo West 2019 this year. It is a pretty remarkable awning, I've used it about a half dozen times already and I'll provide an independent review after a few more outings. For me, my priority is speed in opening/closing, and it has to hold well in the winds when up in the mountains or in the desert.

shade

I actually coordinated with Kinsmen Hardware to have their awning installed on my jeep will at Overland Expo West 2019 this year. It is a pretty remarkable awning, I've used it about a half dozen times already and I'll provide an independent review after a few more outings. For me, my priority is speed in opening/closing, and it has to hold well in the winds when up in the mountains or in the desert.

View attachment 519352
Looks great! I look forward to your review.

I have a desert trip coming up this summer, so I went ahead and ordered a Kinsmen Awning. It impressed the GFC folks at Overland Expo, and that's not easy to do.

shade

James Baroud just came out with a 270 square back. The only issue for me is it’s 8’ long. I wish more awnings were in the 78-80 inch range for those of us with short beds.

https://adventure-ready.com/store/james-baroud-falcon-270-awning/

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Agreed. One of the reasons I chose the Kinsmen over the Alu-Cab Shadow was that the stowed length (90") matched my camper better. The Kinsmen has a little less coverage, but I'd rather that than having a stub extending past my camper.

You might consider the Rhino-Rack Batwing Compact model. It's 79" stowed.
http://www.rhinorack.com/en-us/prod...e/awnings/batwing-compact-awning-right-_33400

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94