270 Awning FREE STANDING!

LexusAllTerrain

Expedition Leader
I am presently in the market for a 270 Awning free standing. Must be stable on high winds, mostly camping by Sea or Ocean.
I am presently looking at Kinsman Hardware, The Bush Company and EEZI AWN.
Kinsman Hardware made in the USA with 3 month lead time. 2400.00
The Bush Company made in Australia.1500.00
EEZI AWN made in Africa. Manta 1400.00

I have selected them in the order of my preferences.
Any comments or experiences?

emulous74

From my research, none of the freestanding awnings can handle high winds/gusts, they all suggest using the optional legs and guide rope tie downs for heavily windy conditions.

Here's what happened to an Alu-Cab with a strong gust while camping on the Texas coast:

On a side note, OK4wd was able to sell us new bars at a reasonable price and they were really easy to replace. I would ask the manufacturer's of the awnings you are looking at to see exactly what wind speeds they say they are rated for in free-standing setup and if replacement parts are readily available if something breaks.

Wrathchild

Maybe add 23zero to that list of freestanding units. Very similar to Darche but moderately improved IMO. I also recommend using the legs and stakes if you plan to use it in high winds.

adaml

Like everyone else has said, you're not going to find a "free-standing" 270 awning that can also handle winds. Best thing is to just find one that can be free-standing for quick/short deployments but is also easy to stake down if/when you need to. I've been very happy with my OVS 270.

Augster

So what have you decided upon?

I, too, am looking at the exact same top two brands you are, with Bush 270 XT Max first, Kinsman Rapid Deploy second, followed by the Alu-Cab Shadow. I'm leaning towards the Kinsman because of its auto locking-pin setup so no fuss with struggling getting the awning secured in the wind or at a cant, and the steel trusses which should make it more resistant to bending/breaking over aluminum arms such as the Alu-Cab. But I LOVE Bush XT MAX's larger area with its front extension, its lower cost, and quicker availability. Surprisingly, the 270 XT Max is heavier at 74lbs versus the Kinsman at 70lbs.

LexusAllTerrain

Expedition Leader
So what have you decided upon?

I, too, am looking at the exact same top two brands you are, with Bush 270 XT Max first, Kinsman Rapid Deploy second, followed by the Alu-Cab Shadow. I'm leaning towards the Kinsman because of its auto locking-pin setup so no fuss with struggling getting the awning secured in the wind or at a cant, and the steel trusses which should make it more resistant to bending/breaking over aluminum arms such as the Alu-Cab. But I LOVE Bush XT MAX's larger area with its front extension, its lower cost, and quicker availability. Surprisingly, the 270 XT Max is heavier at 74lbs versus the Kinsman at 70lbs.

i GOT THIS...https://overlandvehiclesystems.com/...e-dark-gray-cover-with-black-cover-universal/

For the money and risk...Very happy with it. Easy to set up, now I will try next month on the Sea; camping...

alia176

Explorer
I ended up with the Bush 270XT but only deployed it on the driveway, haven't gone anywhere with it yet! I didn't opt for the extra coverage toward the front of the vehicle and saved a little weight in the process. My buddy and I deployed it during a windy day and we were thoroughly impressed. It simply inspired confidence. Now, I gotta make up some walls and sew on velcro hook n loop on one edge.

Last edited:

Milamr

My wife found other uses for my Bush Co. 270 awning.
8ea5fe8cb23dadd0a66f2d989f03a0c8.jpg
e20b836df0c86901712f3deb2ddf0154.jpg

Sent from my SM-A516V using Tapatalk

Augster

Last edited:

LexusAllTerrain

Expedition Leader
Interesting that you went to a completely different brand from your original list, but I must say, that OVS price is really tempting: $900 versus $1750 270 XT Max (USA prices) for 270-degree awnings...
The bottom line after looking at different pictures and having a friend who had his 270 destroyed in the winds, made me second guess my prior decision!
Plus if the wind destroys my 270 I can always purchase another and not cry so much over the 900.00...lol versus the 2000.00.

Ryan1267

I too worry about the 270 XT Max under wind loads but seeing the video of a 200 lb guy do a 1/4 of a pull up on it and it barley move in the wind, I feel safer about my purchase. Also, they're made in South Africa. I have yet to have a South African made anything on my trailer. It's all Australia and Germany.

alia176

Explorer
I too worry about the 270 XT Max under wind loads but seeing the video of a 200 lb guy do a 1/4 of a pull up on it and it barley move in the wind, I feel safer about my purchase. Also, they're made in South Africa. I have yet to have a South African made anything on my trailer. It's all Australia and Germany.

I agree with you Ryan, the 270XT is rather beefy and inspires confidence when deployed in less than ideal conditions.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles