270 Awning... Driver side or Passenger side?

agent00111

I live in San Diego and we have a number of beaches that you can pull up to on the 101. For that reason, and that reason alone, I went with passenger side 270 tent. Just keep in mind that if you have a roof top tent, your ladder will need to be opposite side of the 270 awning. Yes the downside is walking around the tailgate (for a jeep) but I worried about that more before I committed to the passenger side, and I don't really think much about it after.

832F1CFE-BAE3-4A9E-9150-E7736C3AF9D5_1_105_c.jpeg94533122-33B1-4BA7-94A3-C7E55265C693_1_105_c.jpeg

agent00111: nice setup. How does your Kinsman handle the coastal winds when deployed w/o poles? I live north of you in Ventura County and we also have spots where we just pull over for beach access.

kdeleon

Observer
Driver side mostly due to tire swingout and thats the side i normally gravitate, like setting up my tent etc. I never found the occasion where i want it deployed by the road, eepecially on areas it will see any form of traffic. only backcounty use only for me.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

dsmithers

A little update..

I ended up going passenger side. I was leaning that way anyway, but I was able to score a sweet deal on a used Alu-Cab Shadow awning off Facebook marketplace. Made the decision easy. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

80t0ylc

Hill & Gully Rider
A little update..

I ended up going passenger side. I was leaning that way anyway, but I was able to score a sweet deal on a used Alu-Cab Shadow awning off Facebook marketplace. Made the decision easy. Lol

Did you get your Shadow mounted yet and to what rig? The Shadow is a stout 270* and needs a very stout mount to work well and be reliable. I've had mine for 3 yrs now and it's mounted (for the 4th time) now, to my squaredrop trailer. Previously, had it mounted to my Land Cruiser (2 different roof racks) and another trailer. I have the Alu Cab wall kit, which has been a dissapointment and I don't recommend since it doesn't live up to what a wall kit should do (IMHO) for the simple reason that it doesn't have an interior wall to seal out bugs and wind. But, the awning has exceeded my expectations - extremely easy to deploy / pack up and holds up well in the wind. It is a USPS mount and I knew which side I wanted to work for me from the start. I hope your's works as well for you as mine does for me!

dsmithers

Did you get your Shadow mounted yet and to what rig? The Shadow is a stout 270* and needs a very stout mount to work well and be reliable. I've had mine for 3 yrs now and it's mounted (for the 4th time) now, to my squaredrop trailer. Previously, had it mounted to my Land Cruiser (2 different roof racks) and another trailer. I have the Alu Cab wall kit, which has been a dissapointment and I don't recommend since it doesn't live up to what a wall kit should do (IMHO) for the simple reason that it doesn't have an interior wall to seal out bugs and wind. But, the awning has exceeded my expectations - extremely easy to deploy / pack up and holds up well in the wind. It is a USPS mount and I knew which side I wanted to work for me from the start. I hope your's works as well for you as mine does for me!

Yes I did! Just got it mounted up this past weekend.

I mounted it directly to an Alu-Cab Gen3 tent using the Alu-Cab mounts on my ZR2. I would agree, that sucker is heavy and needs some stout brackets. Luckily the AC brackets and hardware are just that, stout.

Also picked up and mounted a shower cube on the same day as well. Lucky me! Haha

15f1c354c3dd3756be24005c94965868.jpg

f74fbf67ca5596ef37c8a32d3dbadb7c.jpg

1868ec0df8369636e805049c53550435.jpg

b5834a9a9a312b1a456815a21edefefc.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles