255/85's on Fullsize trucks. Pics please

Dave Kay

Adventurer
I have 255/85R16 on my K3500 3.5" lift. I only added the lift because the front springs where shot and the lifted springs where cheaper than stock ones. I like the 255's in the snow. They did great this fall in the Utah snow during deer season.View attachment 142189View attachment 142190View attachment 142191

Hey now--- your setup got my attention! Looking to maybe get these size tires for my '86 K30, which is bone stock everything on steel wheels 6.5 width. Question; what's your wheel/rim width and what brand name springs did you lift? Body lift too? Best regards~!

I have superlift 3.5" front springs, I had the rear blocks made out of solid steel. The wheels are Alcoa 16x7, front is factory double shocked. No body lift.
You should be able to fit the 255 tires on your stock wheels and no lift, as long as your front springs are still good. My front springs were shot. If you want the stock looking wheels 16x7 ford have made this size. I run the Ford 16x7 steel wheels for my winter wheels with Buckshot 305/85R16

Dave Kay

Adventurer
I have superlift 3.5" front springs, I had the rear blocks made out of solid steel. The wheels are Alcoa 16x7, front is factory double shocked. No body lift.
You should be able to fit the 255 tires on your stock wheels and no lift, as long as your front springs are still good. My front springs were shot. If you want the stock looking wheels 16x7 ford have made this size. I run the Ford 16x7 steel wheels for my winter wheels with Buckshot 305/85R16

Thanks a bunch for your info, heck, my front springs are old and saggin' and due for upgrade asap. Meanwhile, just calling around I've had difficulty finding local tire stores that will mount tires that manufacturer's call for 7" - 9" rim, on my stock 6.5's. But there is the possibility that I could mount oversized on my rims w/new stems myself, and just have a dealer balance them. Anyway, we're not up for that project just yet: this weekend I'm installing a Gear Vendors Over/Under in my rig.

The plan being that this truck will travel lots of asphalt to the trail-head and once once I see how my fuel mileage works out, I'll get serious about deciding on some off-road flotation-type tires, keeping the stock 235/85's for local road travel and light OR wheeling.

Curious: what years did Ford make those 16x7 stock wheelees? Steal or alloys? Seems like almost everything I see on Craigslist in Ford 8-lug stockers, is practically identical to GM's 8 luggers, WIDTH-WISE that is. And yep, I just like the stock look.

Thanks again--- cheers!:beer:

The mid 90's fords have the 16x7 wheels. Here in Oregon there was a ton of the Ford crew cabs, so finding 16x7 steel or Alcoa wheels is a piece of cake to do. I have 3 sets of the Alcoas and 1 set of the steel wheels that I have mounted up. I have the Alcoas on both of my gooseneck trailers to match my truck.

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
The mid 90's fords have the 16x7 wheels. Here in Oregon there was a ton of the Ford crew cabs, so finding 16x7 steel or Alcoa wheels is a piece of cake to do. I have 3 sets of the Alcoas and 1 set of the steel wheels that I have mounted up. I have the Alcoas on both of my gooseneck trailers to match my truck.

Got a spare set?:)

bfdiesel

Explorer
Stock F350
IMG_0339[1].JPG
IMG_0340[1].JPG

The tires are Toyo M55's. They are a good all round tire, have lasted very well. I have had this same set on my 2004 GMC 2500HD, my Suburban and now my F350 all with stock suspensions no noticed rubbing. The size is nice for stock width rims. I don't like how at half tread there is no longer any tread in the center of them as the center is half as deep, they don't do very good at all in slimy mud, but they are not a mud tire so... They do fair in snow worse now on packed that they are bald in the center.

Last edited:

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
Some shots of 255s on my dually.

image_zps34cec850.jpg

image_zps0cfd5dce.jpg

image_zps3bf3fc89.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles