255/80r17. THREE OPTIONS.

fifthcircle

Adventurer
Everyone knows the BFG MT KM2 and the Cooper ST MAXX....

I've found the Cooper made, MasterCraft Courser CXT. I think it'll be similar to the ST Maxx, but appears to have more siping, as well as a bit more open tread in the middle. Searching yields no reviews. :) I can only find them at the rural Co-Op tire shops.

I did find one comparison to the ST Maxx, but no follow up post.
http://roadtraveler.net/mastercraft-courser-cxt/

PHeller

Adventurer
Is there a pizza-cutter that is more readily available and/or cheaper than 255/80r17?

For instance I can find 235/85r16 which sound appealing, but I think it's an even more rare size.

kayadog

Adventurer
There are more and more 255/75r17 tires available because of the JK market. Same width, a little shorter, but usually lighter, cheaper, and more options.

Last edited:

Watt maker

Is there a pizza-cutter that is more readily available and/or cheaper than 255/80r17?

For instance I can find 235/85r16 which sound appealing, but I think it's an even more rare size.

I would think the 235's would be easier to find as they were once standard equipment on many 3/4 and 1 ton trucks.

EMrider

Explorer
Good to see more choices in this (great) tire size. I've had good experiences in the past with Toyo ATs, but like the ST MAXX so much I'll probably buy them again when mine wear out.

R

kayadog

Adventurer
If they are 50lbs. in an E range 255/80r17 that is pretty light. I hope they come out with 255/85r16 for my current rims.

TCICapn

It looks like the Toyo ATII is not the "Extreme" version in this size (bummer) but is E range. I am struggling to decide between the Toyo ATII and the Cooper ST Maxx for my next tires. My practical side tells me I don't need a more aggressive tire than the ATII and the price difference seems to be huge, but my inner 12 yr old says "the ST Maxx looks so cool!"

D

Deleted member 13060

Cooper ST Max in 255/80R17, $185 at Discount.

No affiliation, just passing on a good deal.

1stDeuce

Explorer
Up to SIX options now!!

From above: Cooper ST Maxx, Mastercraft CXT, Toyo AT II and Open Country R/T, BFG KM2
Additionally, I see that Nitto has released the "Ridge Grappler" in this size...

Looks like price on the Cooper, Mastercraft, and Toyo AT II are similar. Other three are a bit higher...

I do like this tire size... Running 255 Maxx's on my GMC and my Jeep with no complaints.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles