24/230v to 110v query

Grenadiers

Adventurer
Looking to add American appliances to our Euro Saurer 6dm build. Currently, we have two large Lifeline AGM batteries in series, coupled to 320 watts of solar. Also, a Ryobi 2000w generator which connects to a step-up voltage convertor then into the system. There's a Phoenix inverter for 24v to 230v, and all that runs to an electrical box complete with various Euro breaker switches. So, the question, should I run a separate inverter from the batteries to run 110v? Or connect in-line with the current system, say off of a breaker? We would like to keep the generator/shoreline power option for the 24/230v setup, but want to run the microwave, stereo system, etc. on it, as well as on battery. Confused. Thanks, Dave.

Grenadiers

Adventurer
Was thinking along the same line, but wonder if I can add the new inverter directly to the two Lifeline batteries? Thinking here, that the batteries will be charged by both the solar panels and the generator. And, that the battery doesn't care about how it's discharged.

Keep the 24 volt DC and add another inverter.[/QUOTE

john61ct

Adventurer
Yes, the bank just sees 24V discharge load, doesn't know or care what's being done with it, inverted to X volts, multiple inverters at the same time no problem.

Of course the total discharge rate is relevant, voltage drops can cause problems if the bank's too small.

Grenadiers

Adventurer
Ok, good to know. Here's a list and pics of what our Saurer 6dm came with.

1. Power Bright VC-2000W Step up and Step down transformer, for shore power or generator. Which plugs into:

2. Lovanger Eletronik LPC-2425. Can't find much info on this, 24/230 volt battery charger, 850w.

3. Two Lifeline GPL-4DL 12 volt batteries in series, 210ah each.

4. In cabin, next to water/space heater, Victron Energy Blue Power, Phoenix Inverter Compact, 24v/1600w 230v.

5. Was thinking of adding a Magnum Dimension 2000w inverter, (Magnum Energy MS2024 MS-Series 2400W 24VDC Pure Since Inverter/60 Amp PFC Charger). But, also I'm installing some sort of A/C unit which I'd like to run off battery and generator or shore power. So, when on shore power or generator, would I separate that from the 24/230v system and wire that into the Magnum inverter/charger? The 24v system runs a Waeco fridge, LED lamps, the propane/electric heater/water heater combo, water pump, several outlets. The current setup with the PowerBright transformer is for the 2000w generator that was included in the truck. Would have two options to plug into shore power or generator.

5. Also have two big Banner Bull batteries to start the diesel engine. However, can't be sure, but am wondering if this is connected to the solar system as well. Seems a bit overkill to start the engine. Will have to investigate further.

vectorsc

Adventurer
Big fan of the victron stuff. Especially the new ve.direct units. They make a 24v 110 inverter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Grenadiers

Adventurer
I'll take a look. What worries me, still, are the times I want to run a generator or have a shore power hookup. Currently the system will plug into either source, with the PowerBright transformer, as the middleman. Not sure if the Lovanger LPC-2425 has a transfer switch capability for this. Have to assume for the moment that it does, since they've set it up this way. So, if I piggy-back another inverter (24v to 110v) to the batteries, and have a few 110v outlets set up, how would I get shore power/generator to items plugged into the 110v receptacles? Would the new inverter have to be connected down-stream to the Lovanger? Thanks, Dave.

Grenadiers

Adventurer
Ok, here's my latest beer-drinking plan!

Utilizing one power cord for either shore power, or the generator. I want to piggy-back a 110v system onto our current 24/130v European system, (and to include the 24/130v system for charging). But have a separate system to run 110v specific items such as air conditioning, a microwave, stereo, and a washer/dryer Splendide, Mr. Coffee. I also want to have outlets for computer charging near the dinner table (off of a 24v to 110v inverter - no charging of batteries with this), and to have a separate 24v/110v inverter outlet to run microwave, stereo, Mr. Coffee with not using shore power or generator. So, here it goes:

1. Power cord connected to a voltage regulator, an ISB Sola Basic 4000, which we purchased in Mexico last year.

2. Run a line from there to a Main power box protected by fuses. In the box would be two breakers.

3. One breaker would power the PowerBright step up transformer which is connected to the original 24/130 system. This would charge the batteries, and with the Phoenix 24/130v inverter power the lights, the fridge, the heater, the water pump, the water heater.

4. The second breaker would go to a second power box. Here, I would run a single line to an air conditioner probably 220v. And another line to a duplex receptacle or two, for the washer/dryer combo, the stereo, the microwave, coffee machine.

5. Now, here's the kicker. I would like to add another inverter, a 24v to 110v connected directly to the batteries. This would not charge the batteries, so I would not connect 110v to it. Instead, what I need to know is if I can connect the output line to the second power box, (two sources of power, 110v and 24v) (or do I need a third box?) and then through breakers feed two more lines, one going to our dinner table for a couple of outlets to power our computers, and one or two to the front to plug in the stereo, the microwave (short cooking durations), the coffee machine. In case we're boondocking in a crowd, and don't want to run the generator, which is kinda loud.

So, to summarize, or to repeat myself. When connected to a 110v source, I want to be able to power both the separate 110v circuits, and the original 24/130v system. And, when boondocking, I want a separate 24v/110v inverter that won't charge the batteries, since I have 320 watts of solar for that, to run a couple of computers. Thanks, Dave.

Joe917

Explorer
Or buy 230 volt appliances and forget the Magnum. Computers will charge off 230 volts Or better yet 12 volts. Get a small 115 v inverter for things that have no other option (Suresine from Morningstar)
You can connect as many inverters or chargers as you want on the DC side, just fuse correctly.

Grenadiers

Adventurer
I'd like to, but quite unobtainable here in the US, for what I've seen. My wife doesn't want to spend the money, Euro microwaves are available, but in the 500 dollar range, found an 230v IT server rolling a/c unit for 790, not sure on the coffee pots or stereo systems. My HP laptop has a 110v power supply.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior