235/85R16 are they all "E" rated tires?

a45automan

2018 Tacoma DC 4X4, M416
Hello,
I have a ’04 Tacoma double cab I purchase new and am ready to purchase some new tires for it. It is my wife’s daily driver and once she is finished, I plan to start on the modifications. I know that this is not very aggressive but, I have always had good luck with the Michelin LTX’s. I am thinking of getting the M/S2’s but, can only find the standard load rating in 265/70R16’s. I am currently running 265/75R16 in a standard load but they rub just a little and the M/S2’s that I can find in that size are only in an E rating. Because 265/75’s rub, I wanted to look at the 235/85R16 but again; they are all in an E load rating. This truck is not modified and runs a light loads most of the time. The heaviest load is when the whole family loads up and I stick my two 200lb sons in the back seats. So, you guys that run the 235/85R16, are you running E rated tires and how do they ride? My son has 245/70R17 in an "E" rating on his Tacoma and they do ride rougher than my current setup. My wife wants a nice ride and I want something that I can get some mileage out of, in both longevity and MGP. Any helpful inputs will be greatly appreciated.

phsycle

Adventurer
I had 235/85/16's on my old Tacoma. Ride wasn't that bad (BFG KO LR E). Slightly stiffer than the stock BFG Rugged Trails. Had them aired up to 35psi. Still rubbed a bit at full lock.

That said, if this is your wife's daily, why not just put some Mich A/S on there in stock size (265/70)? Better ride, mpg, etc.

7wt

Expedition Leader
I had 235's on my 03. They were fine for a couple of years then they got so rough and out of round my truck was unbearable to drive. I wouldn't do it again. If my truck wasn't lifted, I would go back to 265/70's.

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
Short answer is yes, 235/85R16 are (essentially) all load-range E. Several years ago you could find a couple in LR D, but I'd be surprised if there are any still around. How firm a LR E will feel on your truck depends a lot on it's overall set-up, and the specific tire. While I prefer a LR D, even for bigger trucks, they are getting hard to find in the treads I like. I bet the Michelin rides pretty nice for a LR E.

For more on this subject you might like this post on my blog.

http://roadtraveler.net/wheels-tires-and-sidewalls

James

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles