235/85/r16 Cooper AT3 tires

coop74

Old Camping Dude
Does anyone have any experience/currently using 235/85/r16 Cooper AT3 tires?

Can you provide impressions of the tire, an perhaps more usefully the actual tire height. I know what the dimensions optimally are but I have heard the Coopers tend to be taller than similar size tires from other manufactures.

Thanks in advance for your replies...

PS, fitment will be for 2014 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab long bed 4X4

20150329_091554.jpg

Weekender41

Ready to Learn
This size and type are exactly what I run, I run them around 37-40psi on the street. I would not call them tall for their rated height. For a supposed 32" tall tire, they are just under 31" tall. I drive a heavily weighed down 2001 Pathfinder so that may account for something.

Garbinator

SeekTheMoneyTree
I wonder about the ride quality. I have E rated tires on my jk and no longer run my jeep as hard off road as I did in my younger days.

I read Mr. Noel's excellent review except I do not recall much being said about these tires being a good choice for a two door JK mostly unladdened. I did check out Coopers website but only managed to locate a few sizes under 31 inches in the C range. I did not see any D range at's at all.

These days, I mostly run pavement.

Last edited:

Davev1954

Supporting Grouch
Does anyone have any experience/currently using 235/85/r16 Cooper AT3 tires?

Can you provide impressions of the tire, an perhaps more usefully the actual tire height. I know what the dimensions optimally are but I have heard the Coopers tend to be taller than similar size tires from other manufactures.

I just did a full switch from 235/75r15 to 235/85r16 AT3 on my 2000 XJ Cherokee. This would be a good option to consider for your crew cab, but a couple impressions so far (about 2500 miles and a couple overnight off-road trips). Mine measure about 30.5 tall sitting on the jeep with a load.

They are extremely stable and zero feeling of the tire 'tipping' or moving around. The handling went up a couple notches in the XJ. The tire seem to be very high quality and they get down thru the mud and bite real well. Also good traction on rocks and dirt slopes. I have made it thru when others were floating around in the mud and having to winch.

I have aired them down to 35 and may go a bit less for everyday driving- BECAUSE they are stiff and you will feel every seam in the road. I would be curious how they feel on a modern suspension truck. I'm sure it will be better. It's helping me find where all the worn bushings are - because I now hear every little sound of metal to metal.

They are big and heavy and I have lost a couple mpg around town, only about a 1/2 mpg on the road.

My only problem- is I am wondering what to put on my trailer- I was going to match the tires all around, but these AT'3s seem a little heavy duty to put on a little 416 type trailer.

IMG_7302.jpgIMG_7672.jpg

Last edited:

greengreer

Adventurer
Love the at3. Really the perfect all terrain. Haven't run the in 235/85 but I cant see what would be different. The only thing I could even consider wrong with them is 2ply sidewalls, but thats most tires these days.
These are worlds apart from cooper atr that they replaced. Also lots of size options and extremely inexpensive.

coop74

Old Camping Dude
Coop, what did you end up getting? I'm considering the same purchase for my Tacoma.

Trvlngnrs

I ordered the Cooper AT3 tires as it was going to be about 40 bucks each less than the KO2 tires. The KO2 had the edge on looks and the actual snow flake rating for snow. As it turned out the tire folks messed up my order and i was leaving on a trip so they gave me the KO2s for the same price as the order on the AT3s

I think they are both great tires but I have really been impressed with KO2s so far. The truck turns better. I kept my gas mileage and maybe gained a touch at hwy speeds on trips. The ride is fine and handling is fine.

In the end i am very happy with my choice of the 235/85/R16 tires...

mires

Adventurer
I ordered the Cooper AT3 tires as it was going to be about 40 bucks each less than the KO2 tires. The KO2 had the edge on looks and the actual snow flake rating for snow. As it turned out the tire folks messed up my order and i was leaving on a trip so they gave me the KO2s for the same price as the order on the AT3s

I think they are both great tires but I have really been impressed with KO2s so far. The truck turns better. I kept my gas mileage and maybe gained a touch at hwy speeds on trips. The ride is fine and handling is fine.

In the end i am very happy with my choice of the 235/85/R16 tires...

Do you have any pics with the new tires? I have an Xterra with the 235/85/16 A/T3 and have been thinking about buying the wheels you have on your Frontier because I am not a fan of the wheels on my S at all.

245/75/16 E

I put a set on my 03 Chevy Silverado 1500 4x4 loaded with a camper body. ( 6500-7000lbs.) 245/75/16 E. I drove from N. California down thru Mexico, Central and around South America and back thru Florida to California (25,000mi.) and these tires did not get any flats. In addition the ride quality and tire noise was normal, traction was great in rain, mud, dirt, and gravel. I have not driven them is snow or on ice. In Argentina I cracked one of the rims causing one of the tires to go flat, when I had it remounted on to one of the spare rims it was undamaged. These are tough tires, a great value, and made in USA. The tires look like they still have another 15-20k left on them. I plan on buying these exact tires for my w250 / Sunrader project when completed. Make sure you check online, there are great deals on this tire with free delivery.

Safe travels,

Dakar Dan

I put a set on my 03 Chevy Silverado 1500 4x4 loaded with a camper body. ( 6500-7000lbs.) 245/75/16 E. I drove from N. California down thru Mexico, Central and around South America and back thru Florida to California (25,000mi.) and these tires did not get any flats. In addition the ride quality and tire noise was normal, traction was great in rain, mud, dirt, and gravel. I have not driven them is snow or on ice. In Argentina I cracked one of the rims causing one of the tires to go flat, when I had it remounted on to one of the spare rims it was undamaged. These are tough tires, a great value, and made in USA. The tires look like they still have another 15-20k left on them. I plan on buying these exact tires for my w250 / Sunrader project when completed. Make sure you check online, there are great deals on this tire with free delivery.

Safe travels,

+1 on the 245/75/16. I replaced the 255/70/16 HT stockers on my ute with these and will stick with this size. A good compromise and they don't mess with fuel mileage too much. Wearing very well for a MT (BFG KM2), spare fits under the tray properly, air down beautifully for sand running, speedo reads accurately & no flats (touch wood).

justbecause

perpetually lost
Coop, are you lifted? I have a OME HD kit coming from Southeast Overland. My tires have some good tread left, but I am planning the next step. I am really leaning towards the 235/85.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles