235-85-16 on 3rd Gen 4Runner

garrett

Supporting Sponsor
Does anyone have any images of a 3rd Gen 4Runner on 235-85-16s with a 2-3" lift? I'm too lazy to look through all the images and my connection is crap right now.

I'm considering this size on my personal 4Runner and am installing an OME suspension, ARB and winch. It's an SR5, so it doesn't have the fender flares - that I really don't like at all. I think this size will look a little better, especially without the flares on the truck. Not to mention I've never been a big fan of wider tires.

Thanks in advance.

Garrett

garrett

Supporting Sponsor
Yep - saw that one when googling. Has 2" suspension and 2" body lift. I'll have 2-3" with the OME setup.

Thanks,

p nut

butter
I don't have pics, but reconsider that tire size. I had some on my old Tacoma (1st gen, back in 2007?). Initial purchase price was great. I think $120/tire back then. Other than that, all others were negatives compared to 265/75/16's. Cornering sucked (no lateral grip), looked too skinny (IMO), no MPG gain. I'd personally just go with 265/75/16's...

garrett

Supporting Sponsor
I don't have pics, but reconsider that tire size. I had some on my old Tacoma (1st gen, back in 2007?). Initial purchase price was great. I think $120/tire back then. Other than that, all others were negatives compared to 265/75/16's. Cornering sucked (no lateral grip), looked too skinny (IMO), no MPG gain. I'd personally just go with 265/75/16's...

Point taken. We've got a few 2nd Gen Tacos (2006 and 2007) with BFG ATs on them - I know they are a solid 33" size. Always done well. I'm going with the new BFG ATKO2s.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
I had that size on my un-lifted '04 (1st gen) Taco. Seemed to work OK. However, if I had to do it again I would have gone for the wider 265/75/16 which is the size I had on my "tall coil" '99 SR5 4runner.

tacollie

Glamper
OME lift, spidertrax, and limited flares. The 235s were great once I installed the wheel spacers. Before that is was a little squirrelly.
dc89c2061260368e3a85cc6faca86adc.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CYi5

Explorer
Truck is set to around 2.25" of lift. Side note, since all 235/85's are E rated (meant for duallys), they were very heavy from what I remember...around 58 lbs? So don't expect a mileage gain over 265/75's.

These are 235/85/16 stretched onto 16x8 Land Cruiser 80 rims.

IMG_1761.JPG

IMG_1531.JPG

Same tires on 16x7's

IMG_0740.JPG

IMG_0537.JPG

owyheerat

Adventurer
Pizza cutters

@ garrett, I've been running that size on my 99 SR5 5spd for a year now. I have put 7k on them. I have a plate bumper (front) with winch, full skids, and sliders. When aired down, they seem to do well in most conditions, including shallow, greasy mud. I can't compare to 265's, never had them on this rig. I chose them for similar reasoning, I removed the black plastic flares and wanted to keep a narrow stance (good for the trails I drive), and didn't want my tires out beyond the body. Also, I have the 2.7l 4 banger, and I didn't want to be pushing any more rubber than needed.

Here is the only pic i have access to right now (at work...shhhhh)

IMG_20150111_134438_150 (1).jpg

Good luck with decision

Durwin

danjeep52

I have 235/85r16 KM2's on my '98 with tundra struts and coils with stock coils on the rear. I love them except for deep snow (20 inches+).

DSC_0006 [1024x768].JPGDSC_0570 [1024x768].JPG

garrett

Supporting Sponsor
I have the truck at a body shop getting some minor work done. Getting the 4XInnovations rear bumper ordered - have the front ARB and OME suspension here (since they are a sponsor of our company) and an Superwinch EP9 with some Marlow syn line. Going to have the 18 hole spare wheels cleaned up and painted and installed. Want it to be a clean look, so I even took the chrome fender strips off too. Just need sliders. Will post up when done.

Thanks all -

Truck is set to around 2.25" of lift. Side note, since all 235/85's are E rated (meant for duallys), they were very heavy from what I remember...around 58 lbs? So don't expect a mileage gain over 265/75's.

These are 235/85/16 stretched onto 16x8 Land Cruiser 80 rims.

Same tires on 16x7's

So I joined this forum specifically because of this thread. Just got a 99 4Runner Ltd and am slowly getting it reliable. I am going to use it a part time Daily Driver with occasional trips to light trails and camping. Slowly going to mod and not currently planning on a lift... yet. I've decided to go with 235/85 R16 in either the Duratrac or Michelin Defender LTX.

My question for CYi5...

Since you have run these both ways... Which do you prefer? The tires on 16x7 with a spacer, or on the LC80 16x8 wheels.

Did you notice any performance differences, especially on road?

Did you have any problems getting them mounted on 16x8 since the OEMs list 7.5" as the max rim width.

Finally, what size spacers did you use? Thanks so much in advance!

I might have found my answer in the thread titled...

FCOL! another tire question 235-85-16 s on 16x (Sorry won't let me post links)

I've been reading on multiple forums for days about tires now, lol. I know from other vehicles its a slippery slope. But I think I'm going to give it a whirl with my 16x7 and the 235/85 R16. Like everyone else, wish I could find them in a SL or D load rating. At least it sounds like the E's last forever.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94