235/85/16? Let's see them

jeffjeeptj

Adventurer
Had 265/70-17 LR C BFG AT on wife's Sequoia. Very satisfied. Replaced at about 80K miles with LR E. she says noticeably harsher over any types of bumps. Pothole, lane divider, freeway bridge to earth transitions, freeway patches. I agree.
Thought I was improving the situation, but in hindsight, the LR C was just what the Sequoia needed.
80k from now, LR C will go back on.
I run the LR E at 40psi. I ran the LR C at 35 unless we were towing or had a full load in the car, then 45 psi.

Dave Kay

Adventurer
General 235s on stock steel
b8ee1bf62879656c31f4_1.jpg

b8ee1bf62879656c31f4_3.jpg

On newer 3/4 ton wheels
afb81073.jpg

Hey, nice looking Square-bod, it's a beauty actually! (I own 3!) also wonder--- how do you like those Generals on the big Burb? Are they Load Range E? Got some miles yet? Curious/ Looked around and thought of buying a set for my highway ride; 1986 C3500 Sierra w/srw... it needs taller tire than it's 245's (on stock rims) and I believe Generals make a load range D for this size...

stioc

Expedition Leader
Had 265/70-17 LR C BFG AT on wife's Sequoia. Very satisfied. Replaced at about 80K miles with LR E. she says noticeably harsher over any types of bumps. Pothole, lane divider, freeway bridge to earth transitions, freeway patches. I agree.
Thought I was improving the situation, but in hindsight, the LR C was just what the Sequoia needed.
80k from now, LR C will go back on.
I run the LR E at 40psi. I ran the LR C at 35 unless we were towing or had a full load in the car, then 45 psi.

Thank you! I've heard both arguments; some say the switch to E loads was a mistake and some say they didn't notice any obvious difference :(

stioc

Expedition Leader
Just got my pizza-cutters put on, 235/85/16 Duratrac E loads. I thought I'd notice a difference with heavier tires but the truck doesn't care, gotta love 255hp and torque in a relatively light truck :)

0E907F12-B7DB-44DF-B5BC-20EDD837F8F5-176-00000005E63B34AB_zps2fcdd0e9.jpg

The width difference 235 vs. 245
9909AF9B-1C09-4216-A49A-64FC0C25C6E3-14250-0000069622D02857_zps51a7e266.jpg

Only problem, the 235/85/16s are supposed to be 31.7" but these measure 30.9" - similar to my previous Duratracs (245/75/16) which were also about 1" smaller than the advertised size :smilies27

Last edited:
[QUOTE
Only problem, the 235/85/16s are supposed to be 31.7" but these measure 30.9" - similar to my previous Duratracs (245/75/16) which were also about 1" smaller than the advertised size :smilies27[/QUOTE]Remember that tire measurements are made at full psi and you are probably at 30psi and the tires are 80psi.

stioc

Expedition Leader
That's a good point but I bumped them up from 36psi to 50psi but that didn't make much of a difference at all. I'll likely be running them with around 40psi on the streets.

madmax718

Explorer
I used to run these as factory sizing on my 3/4 ton diesel pickup. The "E" rating makes for somewhat stiffer sidewalls, but they make a D rating as well.

They make some awesome tires in this size. If your mostly a land runner, you can run the duravis r250- a highway tire, but it has steel sidewalls for puncture and cut resistance.

You can also run the michelin XPS traction, another steel side wall, and highly recommended by commercial drivers who carry a heavy load all over rough terrain.

The toyo m55 is another . (I think they switched from steel sidewalls though)

Silvanus

Observer
Gents,

I've been researching tires and leaning towards the 33-9.5-15 BFG KO's, I'm on 33-10.5-15 KM's and want to switch to an a/t that is proven.
During my observations on tire specifications, the 235/85R/16 has intrigued me very much. being that I own an TJ-L, will the 235-16's fare well on a jeep that weights 3,9+K??

The 235 is a size sitting in most tire shops across N. America, but 33-9.5 KO not so much, would be special ordered! I like an 15" wheel for a TJ, but a 16' wouldn't be to bad I quess??

Any thoughts would be most appreciated!

Thanks

Every Miles A Memory

Expedition Leader
You're right that the 235/85/R16 would be easily replaced at just about ANY tire place if the need arises.

Good thing is you can get them in so many different grades "C", "D" and the 10ply "E" So you have plenty of options

I was surprised at how less expensive they were when I went from the 255/75/R16 I think I saved $400 in the cost of replacing all 4 tires on the truck

88Xj

Banned
Ill post a pic of our burb here shortly. Going from 15x10 & 265/75s down to stock 16x6 steelies with 235s.
hated the ballon tires just looked out of place and honestly the rims weren't close to my style. Only issue is the steelies I got seem to be ford wheels, so they rubbed the calipers. Leaving to grab some 1/4" wheel spacers now, wheel trim to caliper a smidge if needed.

88Xj

Banned
93, 454 tbi, 4l80e, 241, 9.25/14ff with 4.10s. 92k on her. Rebuild injectors & tbi setup, ultimate tbi mods, injector pod spacer, tb spacer, custom ram air setup, 4* timing advance, vortec heads, ported stock headers, 2.5" y-pipe into a 3" single exhaust to a flowmaster, stock side exit & a tbitune to finish it off. Moved the cat before the muffler/closer to the y-pipe so it could do a better job. Stock its way at the back after the muffler which didn't make since to me?

New setup. 16x6 stock 8 lugs, with 1/4" spacers all around to clear the calipers. 235/85 load range E at 55psi. Believe they were unicorn creations. Measured 32" tall exactly. Grabbed them from craigslist to get me through the summer so I can get some Firestone AT's or bfg AT's, still have nipples & paint/stickers on em. Couldn't be beat for 180 for all 4.

Old setup I hated. Wheels weren't my style, and extremely hard to remove the lugs because there wasn't enough room between them and the wheel. Had to beat on a lug wrench literally.

Ater i jump on the power steering leak, I'm thinking about a simple 2" body lift or tbar crank/1" block to get it a bit higher. And maybe a winch eventually. This is my primary long hauler, family wagon when more than 3 & the dog are on board. Gets a steady 19.2-21.7mpg at 2100rpm cruise' pending weather, wind, load, ect. Hoping these pizza cutters pick up a little mileage for me.

Eventually in years maybe a straight axle swap, new paint (white) and a cummins swap lol. Until then the old 454 is hopped up enough to burn the tires like no other, gets decent mileage & hauls & tows my xj just fine:)

Last edited:

88Xj

Banned
Quick report, she deffinetely steers easier, rides better. Even though I'm at 60psi on load range E vs the D's at 50psi. Feels firmer but more planted vs so bouncy I guess you could say. Differently steering a better & feels more responsive though.

Edit: cranking t-bars is super easy. Before I had 5" between the tire & around 8" in the rear. Now 6.5" front & the same 8" rear. So a 1.5" crank. Feels much better over bumps again. Maybe I just like a firm/stiff ride, but to me it feels like it should. No so soft & bucking around. Firm and planted not and not dump truck rough, just perfect :)

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles