230GE in UT...any advice?

Scott Brady

Founder
Honestly, the 230 is painfully underpowered. Off-road, low range is required for even the most benign challenge. I drove one all over South Africa and Lesotho and loved it, but driving one in North America would be torture (for both you and the truck). 2.3L normally aspirated 4-cyl gas engine!!!

Sani Pass
133576_10150153077588275_6129592_o.jpg

Bullsnake

Adventurer
I haven't done any business with them but I am sure if they are on the site they will be happy to chime in. Have you checked out Mastodon Motors in Colorado? They specialize in bringing in early G's as well as modifying, building, etc. They are currently working on a couple of projects for me and they are a top notch group of guys.

Flagster

Expedition Leader
I haven't done any business with them but I am sure if they are on the site they will be happy to chime in. Have you checked out Mastodon Motors in Colorado? They specialize in bringing in early G's as well as modifying, building, etc. They are currently working on a couple of projects for me and they are a top notch group of guys.

Yes I have and am waiting for a reply on one of their trucks...Thanks for the info

Flagster

Expedition Leader
Honestly, the 230 is painfully underpowered. Off-road, low range is required for even the most benign challenge. I drove one all over South Africa and Lesotho and loved it, but driving one in North America would be torture (for both you and the truck). 2.3L normally aspirated 4-cyl gas engine!!!

Sani Pass

Thanks Scott. This was my worry but good to hear from others. This vehicle would more be a weekender as we use our van for extended travels but I worry about power. Our FZJ80 already pains me on mountain passes...I suspect the 230 would be worse?

Scott Brady

Founder
Thanks Scott. This was my worry but good to hear from others. This vehicle would more be a weekender as we use our van for extended travels but I worry about power. Our FZJ80 already pains me on mountain passes...I suspect the 230 would be worse?

Much worse. It is an engine from their smaller cars in a vehicle that weighs more than your 80.

My G320 has nearly twice the horsepower (with the AMG head and Brabus bits) and it is just adequate for NA travel.

Talk to Tim at Mastodon. He always has cool Gs in the inventory or on the water.

Mastodon4x4

Much worse. It is an engine from their smaller cars in a vehicle that weighs more than your 80.

My G320 has nearly twice the horsepower (with the AMG head and Brabus bits) and it is just adequate for NA travel.

Talk to Tim at Mastodon. He always has cool Gs in the inventory or on the water.

Always faster to just give me a call 615-557-3825. Thanks - Tim

JoeLA

I also have the same question on members experience with Jean at g-mercedes, I've been talking with time. But also with Jean. He is importing some interesting and solid good condition gwagons.

burquedoka

Adventurer
What is your price range? There are lots of options out there, save yourself some money and source it yourself.
The 230 is a dog, but the truck is the same as any other 460. If the price is right, and the condition is good consider diesel transplant. There are lots of folks out there other than Mastedon that can do that for you.
Your in Flag? Santa Fe has one of the most reputable and knowledgeable G techs here in the US. Marc Beyer of OCD Custom Cycles and Auto Repair. He was a lead tech at Europa. He doesn't have any stock for sale, but should be your go to guy for service and diesel transplants or Tibus Portals, stuff like that.
We raced a 230 SWB in the Sonora Rally and it was a bomb proof engine. I will say however a 606 conversion is in the works for next years race��

Last edited:

Mastodon4x4

What is your price range? There are lots of options out there, save yourself some money and source it yourself.
The 230 is a dog, but the truck is the same as any other 460. If the price is right, and the condition is good consider diesel transplant. There are lots of folks out there other than Mastedon that can do that for you.
Your in Flag? Santa Fe has one of the most reputable and knowledgeable G techs here in the US. Marc Beyer of OCD Custom Cycles and Auto Repair. He was a lead tech at Europa. He doesn't have any stock for sale, but should be your go to guy for service and diesel transplants or Tibus Portals, stuff like that.
We raced a 230 SWB in the Sonora Rally and it was a bomb proof engine. I will say however a 606 conversion is in the works for next years race��

First off, the name is MASTODON. Mastodon4x4 or mastodon motor company. 2nd yes he is correct. Find a nice 460 or 461 platform to build off of. 230-240-250-280-300 doesn't matter if you're going to do a transplant. 606 is great. Newer rebuilt 603 is great. 617a is great. Hell 5.3 LS is great. 24 valve Cummins GREAT. Just find the build platform that best fits your lifestyle. Engine, paint,interior, and creature comforts are simple.

Last edited:

burquedoka

Adventurer
Phew, sorry MASTODON. Mastodon4x4 or mastodon motor company. I'll try and get it right next time. It's kind of a mouth full, but I'll do my best.......

toylandcruiser

Expedition Leader
Phew, sorry MASTODON. Mastodon4x4 or mastodon motor company. I'll try and get it right next time. It's kind of a mouth full, but I'll do my best.......

I wouldn't worry, after all they incorrectly spelt axle, axel. Before he goes on here slamming someone they should spell check their own site.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles