223,000 miles, finally broke a front CV Shaft.

IncorpoRatedX

Explorer
So, who else has snapped a front CV shaft?

My front driverside CV has been clicking for a while now. I've taken it to a few off road parts expecting failure but nothing for the last year. I took some pals out wheeling around saturday, while telling them that I was picking up another montero in LA this week, they asked what I was going to do with my current one. I said I would sell it to someone, it's a good sturdy rig.

One of the guys took a strong liking to my truck and said 'if you can make it up that ledge, we'll start talking cash'

I put it in 4 low, engaged the rear locker and climbed right up it. Everyone in the truck was impressed and he said he'd like to buy it.

However, i had snapped the outer end of the driverside cv shaft, he laughed about it and still wants the truck, but i was shocked it happened on such a simple ledge. :ylsmoke:

It's a simple case of neglect. If you treat them right and address the issues before you go wheeling you wont have any failures on the trail. If you fail to change the engine oil, your engine will fail. If you fail to keep the front end lubed every few years it is at more risk to fail. Good luck with the sale.

Last edited:

IncorpoRatedX

Explorer
It's a simple case of neglect. If you treat them right and address the issues before you go wheeling you wont have any failures on the trail. If you fail to change the engine oil, your engine will fail. If you fail to keep the front end lubed every few years it is at more risk to fail. Good luck with the sale.

The hell do you mean neglect?? it's a CV shaft, you can't lube it. It's a sealed boot.

In terms of lubing the front end, you need to lube the joints more often than that, the CV's aren't serviceable though.

Last edited:

MonteroLTD

Adventurer
What he means is keeping and eye on the boots, making sure they arent punctured, cracked or torn. Some people replace the grease and boots once in a while aswell.

IncorpoRatedX

Explorer
Yeah that sounds unlikely... raise your hand if you've ever done that.

I pulled busted axle today, the boots were perfect and full of grease still, i cut the outer boot knowing that's where the break occurred to separate, clean and inspect it, the bearing cage exploded, pictured is all but one piece of the cage, if i had manual locking hubs i could just unlock the hub and keep driving but this caused constant grinding noise and i feared it would eventually start to bind, i didnt want to risk that so I parked it until the new axle came in.

for anyone wanting to change your CV's, it's not back, have to remove the outer tie rod end, both ball joints from the steering knuckle, remove the outer axle clip, you dont have to remove the outer splined hub but it does make it easier and remove the brake caliper. then take the steering knuckle completely off, dont forget the ABS sensor if equipped.

then the old one pops out and the new one goes right back in, reverse the steps.

734597_10152579594060508_1659327101_n.jpg

MonteroLTD

Adventurer
*raises hand*

It may sound unlikely to you, but some are strict when it comes to maintenance. Catching problems before they turn into catastrophic failures pays off. Some things of course are impossible to prevent but most breakdowns are.

I am a licenced tractor/trailer mechanic looking after rigs that travel 200,000kms + per year. I would know.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94