2200 watts of solar on the roof?

MTVR

No gas tank or transfer pump- the motorcycles would only come out as often as we are able to afford track day tires...

dreadlocks

ah I was picturing more enduro type so you had a method of transportation that didnt require taking the MTVR into town for a few small supplies.

Webasto Makes a Diesel Cooktop:
and Diesel water heaters are super common, Webasto & Espar make em.. I'm installing one right now on my Audi, mostly for pre-heating the engine and cabin in the winter.. most vehicles like yours would have a water heater inline to your engine coolant loop.. camper and cab heating would be on this loop, perhaps with a magnetic valve to isolate your camper from the engine when you dont want block heating.. and then you would simply pump your fresh water through a heat exchanger for "on-demand" hot on tap.. this gives you heat, block heating w/instant defrost in freezing temps, and hot potable water all from one water heater.. really nice if you want multiple heat exchangers in camper as water will transport that heat around far better than air will through ducting.. I'm planning on doing that setup on my Diesel Westfalia bus project.. I may splurge and do the cooktop too eventually.

Alloy

yeah but are you capable of charging at 2000W all the time? a 3k at 66% load should be considerably quieter and more fuel efficient than a 2k @ 100% load.

the 2k's are super nice for their portability, but I have a feeling his is gonna be fixed to the truck vast majority of time so its just an unattended backup to refill batteries when solar didnt do the job.

I didn't think being able to dump 2000W into Lithium. The most I've seen our 900Ah FLA bulk charge is 90A. The noise is probably a draw since the EU300 has more Db at lower RPM.

dreadlocks

The noise is probably a draw since the EU300 has more Db at lower RPM.

I highly doubt that, at full tilt my EU2200 is not really quiet anymore. its only at partial throttle that it starts to separate itself from the more obnoxious gensets.

EU2200: 57 dB(A) @ rated load 48 dB(A) @ 1/4 load
EU3000: 57 dB(A) @ rated load, 50 dB(A) @ 1/4 load

So charging his battery, or running his AC.. an EU2200 would be ~57dB, an EU3000 would be less than 57dB as its not running rated load, somewhere between 50dB and 57dB as they both make the same noise at full load. They only have different specs at 1/4 load which he's almost never gonna notice because he's not intending on running it for a mere 550W load.

MTVR

...and Diesel water heaters are super common, Webasto & Espar make em.. I'm installing one right now on my Audi, mostly for pre-heating the engine and cabin in the winter.. most vehicles like yours would have a water heater inline to your engine coolant loop.. camper and cab heating would be on this loop, perhaps with a magnetic valve to isolate your camper from the engine when you dont want block heating.. and then you would simply pump your fresh water through a heat exchanger for "on-demand" hot on tap.. this gives you heat, block heating w/instant defrost in freezing temps, and hot potable water all from one water heater.. really nice if you want multiple heat exchangers in camper as water will transport that heat around far better than air will through ducting.. I'm planning on doing that setup on my Diesel Westfalia bus project.. I may splurge and do the cooktop too eventually.

Interesting...

dreadlocks

would an electric convection oven satisfy your old lady? they tend to cook faster, which means less hit on the battery.. and you'll have the genset to fall back on if the bank is too low to cook on..

Induction cooktops are pretty damn sweet, but personally I'd rather not use electric for my primary cooking surface as that just dramatically increases power needs.. I'm fine for electric cooking appliances that are not primary use.. like crockpots, microwaves, even an induction for cooking inside (my kitchen is outdoors) etc that we can use opportunistically when power is abundant.. those appliances get used when the sun's shining really well, crockpot runs all day long and microwave is for quick meals for our kiddos, making Mac-n-Cheese for lunch in a microwave is significantly less effort and time consuming than on a LP burner.. and if I have to fire up genset for a quick 5-10min meal its not really a big deal.

MTVR

Wow, Westabo is pretty proud of their stuff- maybe we'll just stick with propane for hot water and oven/stove...

Alloy

I highly doubt that, at full tilt my EU2200 is not really quiet anymore. its only at partial throttle that it starts to separate itself from the more obnoxious gensets.

EU2200: 57 dB(A) @ rated load 48 dB(A) @ 1/4 load
EU3000: 57 dB(A) @ rated load, 50 dB(A) @ 1/4 load

So charging his battery, or running his AC.. an EU2200 would be ~57dB, an EU3000 would be less than 57dB as its not running rated load, somewhere between 50dB and 57dB as they both make the same noise at full load. They only have different specs at 1/4 load which he's almost never gonna notice because he's not intending on running it for a mere 550W load.

Still call it a draw:) AC mini split loads is not going to be 2000W and you're assuming no solar input while charging batteries. .....plus the 4x compartment space needed would be more useful as fuel / water/ storage.

1000arms

... Induction cooktops are pretty damn sweet ...
Wow, Westabo is pretty proud of their stuff- maybe we'll just stick with propane for hot water and oven/stove...

A portable induction burner, plus the appropriate extension cord, could be very handy for outdoor cooking in a fire-restricted area, especially if it is too hot to want to cook inside.

A Coleman two-burner propane stove, or even two, and a Coleman Camping Oven are cheap and effective. You could always add dedicated interior cooking capability down the road.

dreadlocks

never seen a fire restriction that did not permit LP burner use, heck I'm thinking of getting a LP fire pit because it seems like 80% of the summers we're in the highest fire restrictions you can have and I really miss sitting around the fire.. now charcoal and everything else is banned because you cant just turn a valve and extinguish the thing entirely.

My portable induction is for indoor cooking in bad weather when I dont want to stand outside in the rain to use the LP burner.. I wont use anything with an open flame inside, not worth the risk when my walls and ceiling are carpeted.

Alloy

never seen a fire restriction that did not permit LP burner use, heck I'm thinking of getting a LP fire pit because it seems like 80% of the summers we're in the highest fire restrictions you can have and I really miss sitting around the fire.. now charcoal and everything else is banned because you cant just turn a valve and extinguish the thing entirely.

My portable induction is for indoor cooking in bad weather when I dont want to stand outside in the rain to use the LP burner.. I wont use anything with an open flame inside, not worth the risk when my walls and ceiling are carpeted.

Up here in BC charcoal can be used in outdoor stoves during a fire ban.

A portable (has to be UL/CSA) campfire can only burn liquid or gaseous fuel and the flame cannot more than 6" high. The UL/CSA units are more for looks than heat. For ours we have large pcs of lava that pile 12" high to increase the Infrared heat.

A portable campfire needs to be 100,000btu (won't be UL/CSA) to get some good heat from it.

1000arms

I've seen, in the US, fire restrictions banning any flame (even propane stoves) (except for inside an enclosed vehicle) in dispersed-camping non-designated-site situations. The way the bans were worded, one could have cooked outside with a portable induction burner.

The fire restrictions didn't mention anything about carpeted/non-carpeted enclosed-vehicle-wall/roof, but, I think you are making a smart personal choice! :cool:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles