22 BS thread

My favorite 22 rifle is my Winchester Model 62a, favorite 22 pistol is my Colt Huntsman. Both were my father’s and passed along to me when he couldn’t get out in the woods. The Model 62a, with iron sights is the most accurate of all of the 22 rifles I have owned. A delight to take out and hunt grouse or rusty tin cans.

Grassland

Anyone running a .22 WMR?

I dont have photos on this device, but my first rifle was a Ruger 10/22 Ive since put a Kidd Trigger in, bolt buffer, and charging handle. I also have a Rock Island Arms 10/22 i got for cheap that I intended to build into a fun junk tactical rifle. I ploped it into a tapco intrafuse stock i had lying around and did bolt buffer and charging handle and ran out of time and money.

That battleship game for .22 shooting is an amazing idea and i am surprised Ive never heard of it before. Going to try that out soon!

PPCLI_Jim

Adventurer
The 10/22 is a great rifle I've had a few of them, but the government up here in Canadaland , PROHIBITED the BX 25 and other "extended "mags for it. When im plinking in the bush or on the range I hate having to reload:mad: . But thats an entirely different thread.:confused:. For semi auto I like my GSG 15 and for bolts its a Ruger but the American Classic Rimfire.

Ray_G

Explorer
Love some .22 action.

I don't tend to focus on the accuracy so much as just enjoying the plinking with the kids for cheap. Several different models in the inventory at the moment. 10/22, Umarex MP5, Cricket, and a .22 AR....among a few other calibers that you see in the pics.

Fav is really the MP5 for just playing around, though the AR is quite fun given history with the platform. Youngest is likely about ready to move to a semi-auto though the value of the bolt gun in teaching cannot be understated.
3llF8HuOSgWNklbiej0E+g_thumb_346e.jpgOUb0wc5CSiWuPjyKQg1gkA_thumb_3b70.jpgUNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_3b75.jpgUNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_3686.jpgUNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_36ab.jpgY5pdDUtxRxit0YiMq328TA_thumb_3466.jpg

PPCLI_Jim

Adventurer
Yup teach 'em young, learn 'em well. We like em as stress relief , my friend and I. Basically any shape or size can handle one after about age 5 or so, with proper adult supervision.

Last edited:

OutdoorAZ

Love some .22 action.

I don't tend to focus on the accuracy so much as just enjoying the plinking with the kids for cheap. Several different models in the inventory at the moment. 10/22, Umarex MP5, Cricket, and a .22 AR....among a few other calibers that you see in the pics.

Fav is really the MP5 for just playing around, though the AR is quite fun given history with the platform. Youngest is likely about ready to move to a semi-auto though the value of the bolt gun in teaching cannot be understated.
View attachment 486454View attachment 486455View attachment 486457View attachment 486459View attachment 486460View attachment 486461

Im with you on bolt actions being a great fundamentals tool. I started on a bolt 22. Got into centerfire semi autos and a few months ago bought my first bolt gun as an adult. Now im fully hooked on long range shooting. Picked up my 22 bolt so i can shoot more for cheaper and to make shorter ranges fun again!

Ray_G

Explorer
Im with you on bolt actions being a great fundamentals tool. I started on a bolt 22. Got into centerfire semi autos and a few months ago bought my first bolt gun as an adult. Now im fully hooked on long range shooting. Picked up my 22 bolt so i can shoot more for cheaper and to make shorter ranges fun again!

I was much the same; began shooting with my dad on a Remington bolt action .22 (wish we still had it). Then I was fortunate enough to spend time active duty within the Scout Sniper community-once you have that kind of precision tools, well, everything just seems so basic after. That said, I mostly play with PDW sized weapons now...but this thread has me thinking about a bolt gun for myself since there is something therapeutic about it.

PPCLI_Jim

Adventurer
I was much the same; began shooting with my dad on a Remington bolt action .22 (wish we still had it). Then I was fortunate enough to spend time active duty within the Scout Sniper community-once you have that kind of precision tools, well, everything just seems so basic after. That said, I mostly play with PDW sized weapons now...but this thread has me thinking about a bolt gun for myself since there is something therapeutic about it.
Same here but up in Canadaland. I have got true MOA rifles more than capable of 1km hit and accuracy , I just like how after a bad week of work my friend will challenge me to a game of battleship at 50m. His troubles just melt away, and i have fun just plinking. Much more fun without stressing over distance,wind,temp , altitude ,attitude/position relative to myself etc.etc.. Yes I still enjoy it but its a lot to try to get others to do vs lets grab a . 22 and off to a empty field. Between the Begara HMR which is a re-imagined Rem 700 with upgrades and my Ruger American Rimfire I will say they both are fun but they are that for different reasons

Attachments

• 20181030_171851 (1).jpg
    20181030_171851 (1).jpg
    370.4 KB · Views: 40
  • 2018.jpg
    2018.jpg
    189.2 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:

OutdoorAZ

Got a new extractor and c clip for the bolt for my mkii fv sr on the way from savage. Hopefully that will fix the issues I've been having w/ cases not extracting.

OutdoorAZ

Shout out to Savage Arms! I was having extraction issues w/ my MKii FVSR. No questions asked they sent me new extractors and a c-spring. They even sent it 2 day priority for free!

Its cycling beautifully now no failures to extract at all.

CCH

Adventurer
.22s are so much fun. Think I'm done looking for another backcountry rifle with my latest grouse getter.

i-SQf5X3D-L.jpg

CCH

Adventurer
Tac-Sol. It's a step up all around from the 10/22s I've had. The pack is an HPG *HIll People Gear" Ute. It's my all around pack.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles