215/85-16 questions

BKCowGod

Automotive ADHD is fun!
Hi y'all -

Looking for some real-world answers... For now my RRC is completely stock and it will stay that way until the air suspension blows up. But the tires are cracked and dying, so it's gonna get some Geolandars and I was thinking of going with the 215/85.

* Will I have any issues with rubbing, alignment, etc on stock height EAS?

* I know it will change my gearing - real world, are we talking a downshift on an uphill or just slightly more sluggish acceleration. Gimme your impressions!

Any suggestions that don't involve changing the suspension are appreciated.

I ran a set of TracEdge in this size on the '94 Disco as it's first set of replacement tires when the 235/70's wore out.

The increased diameter wasn't terrible noticeable other than the speedometer error - remember I'm out here in the middle where its pretty flat - and I don't recall any clearance issues...but the RRC wheel openings aren't quite the same as the Disco.

The on-road grip was reduced from the 235/70's but not particularly worrisome.

Good luck and be sure to show us all the before / after photos :)

JackW

Explorer
Range Rovers actually have a little more clearance in the rear wheel well than Discoverys so the 215/85 will work great.

I used to run 245/75R16 tires on my RRC with a 1-1/2" lift with no clearance issues.

BKCowGod

Automotive ADHD is fun!
You realize that you're not helping with my irrational desire to add a RRC to the stable, right? ;)

Best,

KAA

Did I mention how much I paid for mine? These tires are going to represent much more cash output than the truck itself did. RRC's are CHEAP if you are willing to be an educated and patient consumer and gamble a bit.

BKCowGod

Automotive ADHD is fun!
Just a heads-up, went to order the Yokohamas in this size and it sounds like they are getting VERY hard to get. The Monkey found that they are not even listed on Yokohama's website and my tire guys said all their warehouses were sold out. Tire Rack has 31 left (27, now).

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
You should get 2 more spares for your rig... I can't wait to see them ON, I'm not real familliar with the size, but they sound like SKinny's wich I like.

Cheers

Dave

BKCowGod

Automotive ADHD is fun!
You should get 2 more spares for your rig... I can't wait to see them ON, I'm not real familliar with the size, but they sound like SKinny's wich I like.

Cheers

Dave

Wish I could justify it in a space/expense limited world :(

I'm gonna take pictures at all three standard ride heights and I am also gonna GPS verify speed differences before/after. I'm quite excited.

BKCowGod

Automotive ADHD is fun!
That's a super skinny tire. Can't wait to see the pics!

Here's a teaser:
CamelTrophy.jpg

According to RangeRovers.net... "This size requires no body, suspension or even steering stop modifications. Interestingly, dimensions are almost identical to the 700-16's used on Camel Trophy vehicles for many years, and the width is similar to the stock Range Rover tires. It yields close to an inch of extra static clearance under the diffs, with a slight gearing penalty of 3-4% at highway speeds"

mspeters

The Goodyear Wrangler DuraTrac is available in 215-85-16. Load range E.
Tires have a heathly rim guard and side bite tread. I have a set mounted on M422A1 project rig.

I run 235x85 KM-2s on my D-1.

aka rover

Adventurer
Have any pics ? i looked on tire racks site and couldnt find these listed.I have run these tires on one of my series III rovers and would like to find some in a agressive tread. Im currently running 235 85 16s but miss the look and drive of the 215s.

Cheers Ed

nc_pinz

I just bought two of these to replace my 7.00-16s on my M416 trailer. Got retreads from Tread Wright. Not mounted yet but the mud tread looks good.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz