SOLD! 21 Ram

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
Looks like a great package!

Would you mind taking a measurement of the full overall length? I have a short-ish driveway and fitting without blocking the sidewalk means I need to be pretty careful about packaging. I think the RAM trucks end up a little longer than their competitors, but it's hard to know how it adds up between bumper/flatbed/etc.

Thank you!

leo4x

If you are 60% of payload what is pay load on the truck rated at and what does your camper and tray weigh?
Payload is just over 3k and just throwing out some rough numbers: the camper dry is just over 1300, bumper is 250, flatbed is sub 300, and there was a minimal weight exchange between pulling bumper/bed. I haven’t weighed it because in my mind it’s not done, and the rest of the goodies I would like to add would still keep it under 85% - again I’m estimating ?‍♂️

leo4x

Looks like a great package!

Would you mind taking a measurement of the full overall length? I have a short-ish driveway and fitting without blocking the sidewalk means I need to be pretty careful about packaging. I think the RAM trucks end up a little longer than their competitors, but it's hard to know how it adds up between bumper/flatbed/etc.

Thank you!
Approximately 22.5’

leo4x

Heh, all my research says the RAMs end up about 6" longer than the Fords. And my driveway is 22' long. :rolleyes:

Maybe I need to stick with vans. :p

Thanks for the info!
Maybe you need a house that supports your adventurous dream life! ? good luck ?

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
Maybe you need a house that supports your adventurous dream life! ? good luck ?

Yeah, lack of adventure-vehicle parking is literally the only downside to our home. On the plus side, I have a huge workshop-shed with dedicated machine tool space...

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
Payload is just over 3k and just throwing out some rough numbers: the camper dry is just over 1300

Not a chance!

FWC has VERY misleading weight claims/numbers to get folks thinking they are fine with a half ton truck. Their business practices are shady at best.

I had a slide Hawk, brand new. Their claimed weight, AND the weight tag they install on it said 1350 or so. After install my truck (2014 Tundra) squatted bad...

I removed camper, weighed truck at certified CAT weigh station, went home, put camper back on, weighed it again at same station. It was just a hair under 1900lbs (with no water in the water tank). Again, this was a slide in hawk, a flatbed is likely a bit heavier.

Lesson learned, i bought the camper on their false/misleading claims, payload of the Tundra is 1650ish. Installed the hawk and was immediately over my GVWR even without filling water tank.

So yeah... They make all sorts of claims and have a little cult to back them up.

Instead of reading stuff, simply take the camper off, weigh truck, put camper on, and weigh it again. This immediately squashes any debate.

leo4x

Not a chance!

FWC has VERY misleading weight claims/numbers to get folks thinking they are fine with a half ton truck. Their business practices are shady at best.

I had a slide Hawk, brand new. Their claimed weight, AND the weight tag they install on it said 1350 or so. After install my truck (2014 Tundra) squatted bad...

I removed camper, weighed truck at certified CAT weigh station, went home, put camper back on, weighed it again at same station. It was just a hair under 1900lbs (with no water in the water tank). Again, this was a slide in hawk, a flatbed is likely a bit heavier.

Lesson learned, i bought the camper on their false/misleading claims, payload of the Tundra is 1650ish. Installed the hawk and was immediately over my GVWR even without filling water tank.

So yeah... They make all sorts of claims and have a little cult to back them up.

Instead of reading stuff, simply take the camper off, weigh truck, put camper on, and weigh it again. This immediately squashes any debate.
Hey buddy, I appreciate your thoroughness and for bringing that up here. I’d love to do all of what you mentioned and at the end of the day I hope this project will make someone else happy - thanks for the constructive input and good luck with all of your pursuits!

Wakeup2river

Eh, there are always the keyboard hero’s. Comparing a tundra to a 2500 Dodge is a joke and it’s no news all manufactures under estimate their weight - it’s standard practice We all know that.
I did the math, your truck isn’t even seeing that camper. Add people, gear, water and more gear and you still have a 500 lb buffer.

leo4x

Thanks for the vote of confidence, the truck drives well enough on pavement and forest road and still would DEFINITELY benefit from suspension, but without the build being wrapped up (awning, armor, recovery, more bikes?!) it just seems premature. I appreciate where he’s coming from and if I took this build further I would definitely get the numbers cleared up, it just hasn’t concerned me up to this point being so early in the journey.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles