'21 Ford Ranger Lariat WHY NOT?

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
Is that one of those goofy non North American type trailers? They have a less tongue weight with those axles more towards the middle. Seems like it’s be more prone to sway though.
No clue where it's from. Just came across it when I was looking up to see what people were towing with Rangers.
IMG_20200709_144740.jpg
received_283204329484761.jpg
F0912312-CD35-4F51-BB73-B321631B2C32.jpg

IMG_20200612_082016.jpg

IMG_2207.jpg
IMG_4410.jpg
414C53E8-C769-41A9-B89C-41B2EAE85686.jpg

Buddha.

Finally in expo white.
Wow, some of those look like they’d be better off with a heavy half or 3/4 ton truck.

I towed a 9,000lb 30’ trailer with my crew cab gasser 2500 that’s rated for 14,000lb. It seemed like a lot of trailer for the truck.
I don’t think tow rating takes into account aerodynamic drag.

wanabxtrm

Observer
But, then I see stuff like this:
View attachment 631473

Def a lot longer and bigger than what I'm towing. And, if the two older kids just drive themselves in their own car, then the back seat space becomes a non issue.... lol

HDPP... up for sale...

Cheers!

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
Wow, some of those look like they’d be better off with a heavy half or 3/4 ton truck.

I towed a 9,000lb 30’ trailer with my crew cab gasser 2500 that’s rated for 14,000lb. It seemed like a lot of trailer for the truck.
I know! There a times when I think I want a 3/4 ton for my little 23' trailer. Just so I have more payload.

85_Ranger4x4

Kinda sorta, you are supposed extrapolate that on your own. Kind of spitballing in the wind though because shape has a lot to do with it too.

The 2021 guide goes into frontal area on page 16.

IMO with a Ranger pulling a fullsize truck sized camper you are going to be getting fullsize or worse mpg so why not just spend a little extra and get a fullsize so you are not running it thru the wringer?

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
Kinda sorta, you are supposed extrapolate that on your own. Kind of spitballing in the wind though because shape has a lot to do with it too.

IMO with a Ranger pulling a fullsize truck sized camper you are going to be getting fullsize or worse mpg so why not just spend a little extra and get a fullsize so you are not running it thru the wringer?
Why not ? Cause the other 90% of the time the truck is driven, it's just me commuting to work hauling air....

So for the 12-15 times a year I'm towing a 5,000 lb (loaded) - 23' hitch to bumper trailer, would a 1/4 ton be sufficient for towing and carrying a couple kids (13 & 20) 3-4 hours out of town?

Beats me. That is my dilemma.

Buddha.

Finally in expo white.

Also you're gonna get full size truck mpg with midsize truck fuel tank capacity. You'll end up like the jeep guys with extra fuel cans hanging off your truck. lol

Buddha.

Finally in expo white.
Why not ? Cause the other 90% of the time the truck is driven, it's just me commuting to work hauling air....

So for the 12-15 times a year I'm towing a 5,000 lb (loaded) - 23' hitch to bumper trailer, would a 1/4 ton be sufficient for towing and carrying a couple kids (13 & 20) 3-4 hours out of town?

What aspect of the midsize appeals to you? The mpg?

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Our kid is finally moving into a booster. Rear facing was a big issue when we went shopping last time. Hence our current Subaru Outback (amazing car!!)
To be honest, the only thing that is holding me back with the ranger is the 5' bed. I was hoping to mount one of our new 6.6' campers inside the tailgate... Guess it will hang out.
What I REALLY like about the ranger is the compact size and it's overall features. Basicly the same footprint as our Subaru. Our daily errants lead us to tight parking lots. Can't imagine driving an F150 size truck every day.
I have two kids. When they were younger after the rear facing seat space hog was done. The small trucks were high on my Outback replacement list. I’m in the Bay Area and have SF rentals so tight spaces were a big concern also.

I ended up with an expedition! Yup!!! Honestly it can pull a u turn about 10 inches wider than my Outback its been great actually. Only negative its too wide for my SF rental 1920 carriage doors so whenever I go over there for maintenance I just park across the driveway ?. Hasn’t been a problem.
If I were to buy a small truck the Ranger is the only one I’d bother with. However the F150 is soooo much more and I’d likely just get that instead. Especially with kids they grow fast and seat space does matter?

85_Ranger4x4

Easy. Both!

Just saying, everything about towing with a F-150 is superior to a midsize. The truck will handle it better, it has better brakes, more power etc. Mileage is a wash, the Ranger being fairly new doesn't even have much for rebates to compete overly spectacularly against the '150 for price.

I basically have a half ton powertrain in my Ranger and I still prefer to tow just about everything with my F-150. It is just better at it.

On a fun trail, tight parking lot or actually fitting into my garage my Ranger owns my F-150. Badly.

Also you're gonna get full size truck mpg with midsize truck fuel tank capacity. You'll end up like the jeep guys with extra fuel cans hanging off your truck. lol

Eh, my F-150 has 22gal and my Ranger has 17 so that is kind of a wash.

My FIL followed me in his '14 F-150 pulling his camper on our last trip. He had about the same range as my Ranger... but he has something like a 40 gallon tank. Running empty last year he filled three times going from Omaha almost to Pennsylvania and back.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
Eh, my F-150 has 22gal and my Ranger has 17 so that is kind of a wash.

My FIL followed me in his '14 F-150 pulling his camper on our last trip. He had about the same range as my Ranger... but he has something like a 40 gallon tank. Running empty last year he filled three times going from Omaha almost to Pennsylvania and back.
My truck has the 36 gal tank. I think the new Rangers have an 18 Gal tank, correct?

85_Ranger4x4

I don't know, when I spec them the way I'd want them, there seems to be a pretty substantial difference in price.

View attachment 631641
View attachment 631642

The Ranger killer is Ford can really slather the F-150 with rebates. So far the Ranger hasn't gotten that kind of love yet. Its a fairly new model which I think is a lot of it. The new '21 F-150 will swing the tables... but you will probably find good deals on the "old" '20's.

I just popped onto a local Ford dealer site, lot of '20's F-150's $12-14k off. Rangers are still listed at MSRP. So high $30ks-low $40k's all around.

Now I am off to B&P to check out that new green I didn't know they came out with...

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94