'21 Ford Ranger Lariat WHY NOT?

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Back to the Outback to truck jump. I had a J80 7 yrs and a 07 Sequoia 5 yrs while driving my Outback. The Outback got all the trips when the J80 was home. 11mpg and like 180 mile range in CA especially East side sucked soooo bad I only did that once with the J80. The Outback did many remote CA and Oregon trips with 500+miles between fill ups. The 07 sequoia was much better at typically 15-16mpg but I still took the Outback on a bunch of trips because even with the 4x6 in tow I ran 18-20mpg averages.
My 2019 Expedition replaced two cars, my Sequoia went to my dad he’s on a tight budget and needed a vehicle. My Outback was sold to a local 1st yr teacher needing cheap reliable wheels. Both were sold well below market to people who really needed them?
The expedition beats the Outback with the 4x6 at 21-22mpg trip averages pretty much every trip vs the Outback was 18’s unless it was flat ground trip then 20-21. The expedition basically matches the Outback in my range capability easily only I get far better space, superior power, real 4x4 and locking rear diff.

My 4x6 likely gets upgraded to a Taxa Mantis once the stupid Pandemic RV / camping madness ends. Right now makes no sense to spend money on camping stuff for CA trips unless parking with 100’s of strangers crammed into “camping areas” is your kind of thing?. The Mantis project for me would be to open up trips to Glacier NP and other places away from the stupid CA crowds in the woods and desert ?

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
The Ranger killer is Ford can really slather the F-150 with rebates. So far the Ranger hasn't gotten that kind of love yet. Its a fairly new model which I think is a lot of it. The new '21 F-150 will swing the tables... but you will probably find good deals on the "old" '20's.

I just popped onto a local Ford dealer site, lot of '20's F-150's $12-14k off. Rangers are still listed at MSRP. So high $30ks-low $40k's all around.

Now I am off to B&P to check out that new green I didn't know they came out with...
But those prices I showed included current rebates on both vehicles? (Delivery allowance) F150 was only $500 more than the Ranger

Capture4.PNG
Capture5.PNG
2021 F150 is still new too. So rebates might not be great for a bit. Maybe summer / employee pricing?

I know! Guard green. Great color! And probably why I'd have to factory order, lol

I like Kodiak brown too but, you can't get it on XLT. Looks like Lariat and above.

Last edited:

85_Ranger4x4

But those prices I showed included current rebates on both vehicles? (Delivery allowance) F150 was only $500 more than the Ranger

View attachment 631651
View attachment 631652
2021 F150 is still new too. So rebates might not be great for a bit. Maybe summer / employee pricing?

I know! Guard green. Great color! And probably why I'd have to factory order, lol

I like Kodiak brown too but, you can't get it on XLT. Looks like Lariat and above.

Yeah, 21's are going to be slim pickings for rebates.

Screenshot_20201216-121922_Samsung Internet.jpgScreenshot_20201216-121704_Samsung Internet.jpgScreenshot_20201216-121658_Samsung Internet.jpg

They have a bunch. Bed isn't a long bed like I would like but they are longer than a crew cab Rangers.

Chorky

Observer
I don't know, when I spec them the way I'd want them, there seems to be a pretty substantial difference in price.
I come up with the same. Over the last year or so have searched and checked randomly to see about those 'rebates' and price differences...the ones folks claim dont seem to be anywhere to be found. With new anyway.

The Ranger killer is Ford can really slather the F-150 with rebates. So far the Ranger hasn't gotten that kind of love yet. Its a fairly new model which I think is a lot of it. The new '21 F-150 will swing the tables... but you will probably find good deals on the "old" '20's.

I just popped onto a local Ford dealer site, lot of '20's F-150's $12-14k off. Rangers are still listed at MSRP. So high $30ks-low $40k's all around.

Now I am off to B&P to check out that new green I didn't know they came out with...
I think there should be the disclaimer with all the comments about rebates (not just with 150's but other rigs too). All these rebates always seem to be associated with a lot purchased truck. Something that is already at a dealer. Any build to order doesnt seem to have that sort of rebate at all..not even the 150. So its not really comparing apples to apples. The ones you found are dealer stock correct? While Todd was looking at a build to order option. Even for comparison I checked out the colorado - and it's up there with the 150 price tag. So...ranger has both of them beat in terms of cost. I just checked them yesterday too...the same 'build' to order from 6 months ago went from 55K down to 45K now. That's basically fully loaded... So they must be working to push out a new version here in the fall

Grassland

Historically to my knowledge the large rebates don't come out (in non Covid years that is) until after the close date for a build to order truck.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Our kid is finally moving into a booster. Rear facing was a big issue when we went shopping last time. Hence our current Subaru Outback (amazing car!!)
To be honest, the only thing that is holding me back with the ranger is the 5' bed. I was hoping to mount one of our new 6.6' campers inside the tailgate... Guess it will hang out.
What I REALLY like about the ranger is the compact size and it's overall features. Basicly the same footprint as our Subaru. Our daily errants lead us to tight parking lots. Can't imagine driving an F150 size truck every day.
I went from an Outback to a standard length Expedition. U turns require about 6 more inches than the OB. In town I typically got 20-21 mpg with the 2.5. Towing the 4x6 utility/ camping rig 18-21.
The expedition is 16-17mpg in town and 20-22 on road trips with trailer.

One thing is for sure never owning a Subaru again especially now that Other makers are going after the smaller AWD utility market.

If I were looking for an OB sized utility the Maverick and Bronco sport would be top of my list.

advnirvana

Observer
Here is my 2021 Lariat with Fox 2.0 upgrade (installed myself) and SmartCap. Great value for the money...I believe even better than the Tremor version because the Fox2.0 is adjustable (Tremor is not).
I also was able to go to a bigger/taller tire (just under 33) on my stock 18 inch wheels...with no modifications.
I tow a custom offroad trailer and also mount an ikamper . I will probably put a small spacer (1 inch) in the rear leaf.
Previous truck was a Ram2500 Cummins.

If anyone has any questions on the Ranger let me know...happy to go through all of the research I did.

Attachments

• IMG_4921.jpg
    IMG_4921.jpg
    145.5 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_5031.jpg
    IMG_5031.jpg
    145.4 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_5235.jpg
    IMG_5235.jpg
    173.4 KB · Views: 60
Last edited:

Grassland

What's realistic range on the Rangers with some stock size or plus 1" aggressive all terrains?
And what about when towing?

I've been looking at the new Frontier and Ranger as unlikely but possible replacements for my F150 and just about choked when I saw a 68 liter tank on the Rangers.
They better be getting 10 liters per 100km having a tank that small.

At 19l/100 towing my trailer I have over 600km range leaving a safety margin of 100km worth of fuel.
Assuming a Ranger gets same fuel economy I'd be running into one of our favorite camps with damn near an empty tank, compared to going there and back like we do now.

phsycle

Adventurer
What's realistic range on the Rangers with some stock size or plus 1" aggressive all terrains?
And what about when towing?

I've been looking at the new Frontier and Ranger as unlikely but possible replacements for my F150 and just about choked when I saw a 68 liter tank on the Rangers.
They better be getting 10 liters per 100km having a tank that small.

At 19l/100 towing my trailer I have over 600km range leaving a safety margin of 100km worth of fuel.
Assuming a Ranger gets same fuel economy I'd be running into one of our favorite camps with damn near an empty tank, compared to going there and back like we do now.

Check nickw’s response in my mpg thread. He seems to get decent range. It’ll depend on where you go. But honestly, while having a large tank/range is awesome, it’s pretty far down my list of priorities. Putting a 5 gal gas can or two in the bed resolved essentially all issues.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles