2024 Tacoma

Dougnuts

The more time I’ve had to look at it, the more I like it. If the seats are high enough to slide your feet under and it gains as little as one more inch or rear leg room (as measured between the front and rear seat backs), I could see myself in one.

I had no plans to test drive a ’23 Tacoma (Sport, DCLB) last weekend, but I did. We took it on the highway and it downshifted going up the slightest incline at 70mph. Toyota says the new one will climb an 8% grade without downshifting. After the last 5 years owning an Ecoboost F150, that capability (and a turbo to help at altitude) goes a long way for me.

Edit: I also like the factory installed mounting points for a roof rack.

Last edited:

skrypj

The more time I’ve had to look at it, the more I like it. If the seats are high enough to slide your feet under and it gains as little as one more inch or rear leg room (as measured between the front and rear seat backs), I could see myself in one.

I had no plans to test drive a ’23 Tacoma (Sport, DCLB) last weekend, but I did. We took it on the highway and it downshifted going up the slightest incline at 70mph. Toyota says the new one will climb an 8% grade without downshifting. After the last 5 years owning an Ecoboost F150, that capability (and a turbo to help at altitude) goes a long way for me.

Edit: I also like the factory installed mounting points for a roof rack.

100% on the turbo engines. There is no comparison, especially if you tow.

This new crop of mid sizers are able to replace a half ton in some cases, which wasnt even on the table with the previous generation.

Kpack

Adventurer
Any concerns with the new hybrid drivetrain (i-FORCE MAX) being offered? I'm always a little wary of more components to fail or complicate repairs. We were looking at a 3rd gen Sequoia, and though the numbers were great with the hybrid drivetrain, I was concerned about unforeseen maintenance costs and reliability. That and the crazy dealer markups (10K+) turned us off and pushed us into a lightly used 2nd gen.

I do like how they are offering options for drivetrain and transmission for the Tacoma. There are a lot of nice features on this new generation, and I'm sure this Tacoma will become a staple for years to come.

tacollie

Glamper
Seems like Toyota's is actually trying to be competitive with the Tacoma. It's interesting that they're offering both coil and leaf spring rear ends. I'm curious what the suspension travel difference will be on the wider track trucks versus the standard. I like that they are also offering 33-in tires. With any luck it'll be easier to bump up to 35s than on previous gens.

bkg

Explorer
Seems like Toyota's is actually trying to be competitive with the Tacoma. It's interesting that they're offering both coil and leaf spring rear ends. I'm curious what the suspension travel difference will be on the wider track trucks versus the standard. I like that they are also offering 33-in tires. With any luck it'll be easier to bump up to 35s than on previous gens.

Dunno... are they being competitive with other 2024 options? Or are they just now being competitive with other 2016 options?

tacollie

Glamper
Dunno... are they being competitive with other 2024 options? Or are they just now being competitive with other 2016 options?
I guess it depends how they actually are once configured. Supposedly the 1700 lb payload is a four-wheel drive truck which is solid for a midsize truck and a huge improvement for Toyota. They probably aren't going to compete with the Raptor Ranger raptor or the AEV Colorado on 35s. Disc brakes, boxed frame, 465 ft lb torque, and manual transmission with the TRD off-road has a lot potential as long as it's not a flop like the third gen. Especially if they are actually rated for 1500lbs or more payload. The fact that the Colorado and Ranger are only offered in a crew cab short box is a bummer.

sn_85

Observer
I guess it depends how they actually are once configured. Supposedly the 1700 lb payload is a four-wheel drive truck which is solid for a midsize truck and a huge improvement for Toyota. They probably aren't going to compete with the Raptor Ranger raptor or the AEV Colorado on 35s. Disc brakes, boxed frame, 465 ft lb torque, and manual transmission with the TRD off-road has a lot potential as long as it's not a flop like the third gen. Especially if they are actually rated for 1500lbs or more payload. The fact that the Colorado and Ranger are only offered in a crew cab short box is a bummer.

Toyota has such a stronghold on the midsize market that they don't necessarily have to beat GM or Ford in every category of performance to continue to be the segment leader. All they had to do was update the 4th gen Taco and make it better than what it was previously and without question they did. They literally improved on every aspect and fixed all the complaints of the 3rd gen. The biggest ones being powertrain, gearing, frame, seating position, cab room, brakes, payload. Those were all addressed in the latest announcement.

Can the TRD Pro go as fast as the Ranger Raptor can in the desert? Probably not. Does the Trailhunter have a front locker and 35's like the AEV Bison GM? Nope. Does it NEED every performance advantage to be competitive with GM or Ford? Absolutely not. The Tacoma is the sales king until proven otherwise and my guess is that the sales tiers will remain the same. #1 Tacoma, #2 GM twins, #3 Nissan, and #4 Ford. I'm not sure where to put the Gladiator on the list and they seem to somewhat be in a unique category. I think the question probably needs to be asked in reverse, did GM or Ford do enough to sway Toyota loyalists to their camp? I think an argument can be made for GM doing enough to make a bigger jump in sales and at least creating some excitement around the platform. Lots of trims, packages, and options for everybody and we haven't even seen the ZR2 Bison officially yet. I think Ford just kinda mailed it in again. I feel like they put zero marketing dollars towards the 2024 Ranger and other than an initial announcement they haven't really created a buzz around it. I mean sure the Ranger Raptor is nice but is it really that special? It's certainly not in marketed in the same vain that they do the F150 Raptor R. I feel like the other Ranger trims are just kinda meh.

Inyo_man

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.
Interesting perspective- of all 3 I’m most impressed with the Ranger.
I was seriously looking into a 2023 Ranger, but the transmission made it a no-go.
There is an issue with the transmission...it appears there may me a class action suit forming against Ford as a result.
The Colorado was on my radar as well...sadly, they stopped making the body style I am interested in. Chevy decided no one wanted an access cab/long bed combination.

Cheers

Last edited:

utherjorge

Observer
I was seriously looking into a 2023 Ranger, but the transmission made it a no-go.
There is an issue with the transmission...it appears there may me a class action suit forming against Ford as a result.
The Colorado was on my radar as well...sadly, they stopped making the body style I am interested in. Ford decided no one wanted an access cab/long bed combination.

Cheers
I don't want to derail the thread, but what's the Ranger tranny issue? I know about EcoBooms, which is all I need to never touch a Ford, and the Ford trannies in little cars (after me nephew got burned, another reason nevah evah) but is there already a Ranger tranny issue?

Inyo_man

I don't want to derail the thread, but what's the Ranger tranny issue? I know about EcoBooms, which is all I need to never touch a Ford, and the Ford trannies in little cars (after me nephew got burned, another reason nevah evah) but is there already a Ranger tranny issue?
The transmission has a thermal valve that controls the fluid to the transmission cooler. The fact that it does not open until the fluid reaches a certain (high) temp. is the issue. The "fix" is to remove the valve to allow the fluid to flow between the cooler and the transmission unmonitored...therefore the fluid does not reach the high temps. needed to open the valve, and stays at a cooler temp.

Cheers

Last edited:

sn_85

Observer
The Colorado was on my radar as well...sadly, they stopped making the body style I am interested in. Ford decided no one wanted an access cab/long bed combination.

Cheers

So Ford only has a CrewCab short bed option? For some reason I thought Ford was going to keep the access cab/long bed combo. GM did the same thing and are only offering CrewCab short bed configs. I think that will push a lot of people a Tacoma as they're the only ones offering 6' beds. If I were buying a midsize truck I'd want a CrewCab long bed.

Inyo_man

So Ford only has a CrewCab short bed option?
No, sir.
The Colorado only comes in a dual cab/short box now.
(My mistake...I intended to type Chevy. Corrected in post. Apologies.)

Cheers

Last edited:

skrypj

So Ford only has a CrewCab short bed option? For some reason I thought Ford was going to keep the access cab/long bed combo. GM did the same thing and are only offering CrewCab short bed configs. I think that will push a lot of people a Tacoma as they're the only ones offering 6' beds. If I were buying a midsize truck I'd want a CrewCab long bed.

Ford and GM want you to buy an F150 or Silverado if you want a truck with actual utility.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles