2024 Tacoma

skrypj

They just want your money- they don’t care which one you buy. The mid size trucks have plenty of utility, more towing than most people ever need.

Except people want 6’ beds and they arnt making them. And Ford put an 18 gallon fuel tank in the ranger. You want a decent bed and a decent size fuel tank the F150 is their answer.

jaxyaks

Adventurer
I just wish Toyota would have widened the bed a bit like Ford did with the Ranger. Is it too much to ask to slide a 4x8 sheet of ply wood or a standard pallet in the bed and sit flat between the wheel wells. I applaud Ford for finally doing this on the Ranger.

sn_85

Observer
Except people want 6’ beds and they arnt making them. And Ford put an 18 gallon fuel tank in the ranger. You want a decent bed and a decent size fuel tank the F150 is their answer.
If people wanted 6’ beds, mfg’s would be making more of them.

Period.

My guess is that Toyota is the only mfg that has enough margin to produce trucks with multiple cab and bed configs. Toyota outsells GM by 2:1 and Ford 2.5:1. Ford and GM corporate know the exact numbers but I'd have to assume the great majority of their sales came from crewcab short bed sales and it just wasn't worth the investment for them to create multiple offerings. It seems like access cab offerings just weren't a hit for all mfgs. Toyota also ditched it for an Xtracab version. I think consumers realized that small jump seat in the back wasn't large enough to fit even the smallest of human beings and most people who had access cab trucks didn't actually use the the back seats for people. Dogs and storage space is about its good for. So I think the Xtracab option for Toyota makes a lot of sense but you'll still hear people complain about it not having an access cab option. Can't please everyone I guess.

bkg

Explorer
My guess is that Toyota is the only mfg that has enough margin to produce trucks with multiple cab and bed configs. Toyota outsells GM by 2:1 and Ford 2.5:1. Ford and GM corporate know the exact numbers but I'd have to assume the great majority of their sales came from crewcab short bed sales and it just wasn't worth the investment for them to create multiple offerings. It seems like access cab offerings just weren't a hit for all mfgs. Toyota also ditched it for an Xtracab version. I think consumers realized that small jump seat in the back wasn't large enough to fit even the smallest of human beings and most people who had access cab trucks didn't actually use the the back seats for people. Dogs and storage space is about its good for. So I think the Xtracab option for Toyota makes a lot of sense but you'll still hear people complain about it not having an access cab option. Can't please everyone I guess.
The heck do you mean by xtracab vs access cab? The xtracab is exactly what you describe as access cab - jump seats, suicide doors, etc.

sn_85

Observer
The heck do you mean by xtracab vs access cab? The xtracab is exactly what you describe as access cab - jump seats, suicide doors, etc.

They changed it for the 4th gen Tacoma. There is no longer an access cab, only an Xtracab. The Xtracab truck does not have jump seats or suicide doors. It only has the two front seats, 2 doors and the rear space is all storage. It's definitely a throwback to the Toyota "Pickup" and first gen Tacoma's.

Florida Native

That's a bummer. The xtracab doors made that space much more accessible.

Yeah, I don’t see the xtracab lasting very long. It will be self fulfilling prophecy sales flop.

Without the suicide doors, it really defeats the purpose of the extra space as it’s impossible to get things back there, especially coolers/fridges and dogs, which they specifically call out.

-Mike

rruff

Explorer
My guess is that Toyota is the only mfg that has enough margin to produce trucks with multiple cab and bed configs.
Definitely a factor... but US sales for Colorados and Rangers are nearly as much as Tundras, and in the Tundra you have an option of 6.5 and 8' beds with the shorter cab, and 5.5 and 6.5' with the long cab. But different companies parse their profits and offerings a little differently. Until recently they didn't feel it was worth it to offer a midsize in the US at all, so...

The Tacoma is definitely more feature/option rich than the Tundra, and I suspect the engineering is better sorted as well. I thought it was funny when people were commenting that the new Tundra should be trouble free and perfect "since Toyota had so long to get it right". No, not how it works! So long between updates means they don't retain staff for this task, and the redesign effort will still be short term and small budget, with people who are mostly new to the platform.

rruff

Explorer
I've never bought a pallet of plywood so I'm not sure what would be needed... but you can easily make a platform on top the wheelwells, using a couple of loose boards and a sheet of plywood.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz