2024 Tacoma

BuckinghamBuilt

I was never interested in the Tacoma due to its unconformable cabin and lack of power but if I'm in the market for a new mid-sized truck the Trail Hunter with a 6' bed would be on my list.

Unfortunately, I expect these to go for a premium based on the current SUV/Truck market and the fact Toyota can't see to build enough cars so expect crazy dealer markups.

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
I was never interested in the Tacoma due to its unconformable cabin and lack of power but if I'm in the market for a new mid-sized truck the Trail Hunter with a 6' bed would be on my list.

Unfortunately, I expect these to go for a premium based on the current SUV/Truck market and the fact Toyota can't see to build enough cars so expect crazy dealer markups.

Carson City Toyota sells with no markup. I may order one, and just wait for it to arrive...

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
Extra-Cab version:

AA1bnVIk.img

iu

sn_85

Observer
I like it and it seems like they addressed most or all the issues of the previous gen. Better powertrain, better seating position, seems like they added a few more inches in each dimension in the cabin so a bit more room inside, fully boxed frame, disc brakes all around, likely better gearing, improved payload(?). Looks are subjective but it's like a more angular 3rd gen.

I think the thing they have over GM and Ford is OPTIONS which is new for Toyota. GM and Ford have extremely limited powertrain combos, cab sizes, bed sizes and trim levels. GM only offers a full 4 door short box config. Ford offers a Supercab 6' box and SuperCrew 5' configs. With Toyota you can get Xtracab 6' box and the Double Cab with 5' or 6' box. Hybrid option depending on trim and a manual transmission for purists. 2WD with rear lockers is a new option for Toyota as well. It's way to early to tell but more info will come out on all the cab, box and drivetrain options available for each trim. If it was me, I'm going with an iForce MAX Double Cab with 6' box in an TRD-Off Road trim or Trailhunter.

To me the most understated improvement in off-road capability is the addition of a front swaybar disconnect which is new for Toyota. I keep seeing naysayers lament (mostly GM fans) the lack of a front locker in the Pro or Trailhunter trim which GM offers on the ZR2 Bison models and I believe the Ford Ranger Raptor has one. For whatever reason people have become obsessed with options and features they may never need, use or understand just because so-and-so other truck offers it. The Tacoma has never had a front locker ever and I don't think anyone has felt it isn't capable enough but all of a sudden since a ZR2 Bison has 35's and a front locker a Tacoma isn't enough anymore. I'm guessing these people don't understand traction control systems like A-TRAC that Toyota has used for decades now. A TRD-OR, PRO, or TH with a rear locking diff, A-TRAC in the front, and front disconnecting swaybar is enough to make you forget that it doesn't have a front locker. Plus the wheel wells look good enough for a 34"-35" tire if you wanted a larger tire.

Last edited:

jaxyaks

Adventurer
I think the thing they have over GM and Ford is OPTIONS which is new for Toyota. GM and Ford have extremely limited powertrain combos, cab sizes, bed sizes and trim levels. GM only offers a full 4 door short box config. Ford offers a Supercab 6' box and SuperCrew 5' configs. With Toyota you can get Xtracab 6' box and the Double Cab with 5' or 6' box. Hybrid option depending on trim and a manual transmission for purists. 2WD with rear lockers is a new option for Toyota as well. It's way to early to tell but more info will come out on all the cab, box and drivetrain options available for each trim. If it was me, I'm going with an iForce MAX Double Cab with 6' box in an TRD-Off Road trim or Trailhunter.

If only Toyota actually let you order the vehicle they way you want like Ford/Chevy/Ram do. With Toyotas you put your name on a list for an allocation of a truck that the dealer you are working with may or may not get, and the regional distributor will add things to it you don't want.

At least with Ford and the others you can pretty much write out a build sheet, and the factory builds it for you. Not so with Toyota...it is frustrating. I own two of them

sn_85

Observer
If only Toyota actually let you order the vehicle they way you want like Ford/Chevy/Ram do. With Toyotas you put your name on a list for an allocation of a truck that the dealer you are working with may or may not get, and the regional distributor will add things to it you don't want.

At least with Ford and the others you can pretty much write out a build sheet, and the factory builds it for you. Not so with Toyota...it is frustrating. I own two of them

Definitely agree with that. I do like the custom ordering process that domestics have. You can get a bigger discount sometimes off custom orders. I also hate how certain regions have various options & trims like Southeast Toyota and Gulf States that aren't Toyota spec but are added to the trucks at the regional port. IMO it ruins the brand when you have some stupid trim like the TSS or XSP trims that add a bunch of chrome and some fuel wheels. Fortunately in my region they don't do any of that crap.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94