2023 New OEV High Country Hard Wall Camper Flatbed and Fixed

Crux

East/west bed configuration has a shorter cab over and is lighter weight (no side cabinets or under bed storage).

Wonder how much weight saving that gives you?

Also it wasn’t clear if the grey water tank was for just the shower or also the sink.

BuckinghamBuilt

Thanks for posting the video. That gray tank seems pretty small which would be a concern for longer trips. Also, on the OEV site for the High County Hard Wall it says its spec'ed for a 1 Ton truck but in the video it recommends stepping up to a truck was a higher capacity so I assume a 450/4500 series which would be a chassis cab and single rear wheel conversion. Starting to get pricey.

BuckinghamBuilt

Higher capacity could be a 1 ton dually. It's not as wide or tall as most conventional campers of that length but the weight is getting up there with a tray and loaded storage.

I'm also curious why they have not stated what the dry weight is. The one they are showing off in the video is a highly optioned removable unit ready for the customer so they have to have an idea on what dry weight is before adding options, water, etc.

jk6661

Observer
Thanks for posting the video. That gray tank seems pretty small which would be a concern for longer trips. Also, on the OEV site for the High County Hard Wall it says its spec'ed for a 1 Ton truck but in the video it recommends stepping up to a truck was a higher capacity so I assume a 450/4500 series which would be a chassis cab and single rear wheel conversion. Starting to get pricey.

Someone at OEV told me yesterday that a 350/3500 would work.

Chadx

♫ Off the road again. Just can't wait to get...

350/3500 will work for base High country, but it is borderline. When heavy options (such as the oversized cabover, air conditioner, etc.) are added, OEV recommends moving up a chassis. So it really is about how you option the camper (base trim vs add all the options) and how you pack. Lots of recovery gear, towing a trailer (tongue weight), lots of passengers/gear/toys with, and you'll quickly be over max payload on the 350/3500. I think this will be similar to the discussion between using a Fullsize (aka 1/2 ton) vs a HD (aka 250/2500/350/3500) for the smaller slide-in pickup campers. When wet weight has you on the border of being overloaded, it greatly depends on how you pack, what you bring, aftermarket overlanding pickup mods (more weight), if you tow or have receive carry rack (storage, bikes, motorcycles), how you drive, etc. Driving a rig that is well under max payload us just much more relaxing and enjoyable than being right up against max, but each owner will have to realistically evaluate how they pack, drive, etc. and decide.

Last edited:

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge

I can only see this if you keep the truck bone stock otherwise; no bumper/winch/lights, no larger fuel tank, light gear load, stock size tires, etc.

sn_85

Observer
Not trying to pile onto OEV but the interior still looks cramped and claustrophobic even with a much bigger platform. The bathroom is just huge and occupies a large amount of space. The pass through between the kitchen and bathroom looks quite narrow and your back will be up against the wall when cooking. It looks like there’s maybe 2’ of distance between the kitchen and bathroom? It still gives a very narrow hallway like feeling and the layout is not very open in a sense. Arnold still has to squeeze through that space. I’m not a big person so it wouldn’t be a big deal for me but it just seems very tight inside.

Now compare that to the Truckhouse Tacoma and that thing has a much more open and inviting feeling in a camper that’s on a Tacoma. It also has a wet bath but it doesn’t take up half of the width of the interior. I’m not sure how Truckhouse did it but if they ever made a Truckhouse for an HD platform that would be my dream vehicle.

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
Btw I don't have a hate on for the green cushion colour. It's the loose fabric covering. I've seen the soft wall sewing and was impressed, so I know they can do better tho it is likely a different supplier.

You can have all the dark green you want D. ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles