2023 New OEV High Country Hard Wall Camper Flatbed and Fixed

Chadx

♫ Off the road again. Just can't wait to get...
And pics confirm HC-R will have propane heat and single propane/single induction burners rather than gas/diesel heat and full induction burners.

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
And pics confirm HC-R will have propane heat and single propane/single induction burners rather than gas/diesel heat and full induction burners.

You are correct sir. Hopefully OEV hires a proofreader/editor soon.

Chadx

Best I can offer is...It's half the price of a Summit. Ha. (Summit starts at $263,285 USD). Goes back to my post in another thread that each camper model doubles in price but asked if it doubles in value? Even the jump from the Camp-X/Backcountry to the Hudson Bay+Tray is about twice the price.

Value can only be answered by each potential buyer. Obviously the cost of materials and labor don't double with each model up offered. So it's up to the buyer to decide if the value is there.

The potential buyer pool decreases greatly for each model up at double the price per step, but some are willing to pay for exclusivity or are simply in an income bracket that these prices give no pause. This plays out in automobiles, fishing boats, houses, etc. every day (paying twice the price but not getting twice the value). Base model pickup vs highest trim at well over twice the price, but they have the same body, frame, engine, transmission, axles etc. and only different features.

Last edited:

Ninelitetrip

Do the High Country Fixed Removable and Fixed models work with a standard pickup truck or do you need a 60-inch commercial cab and chassis?

Arnold: Initially we designed the High Country to work with a 60-inch commercial cab and chassis, but we have since decided that we could adapt the design to a standard one-ton truck. If that’s what customers want, we will work with them.

We build 100 units a year and we’re happy

Interesting that they would be looking to put this on a pickup. Weighs 3000 lbs, payload on a #11300 F350 runs around 4300 lbs with a gasser.

Small batch production with the LITE Industries heritage. Money.

CuStOm

Adventurer
Overlanding is starting to feel like when 4x4 Sprinters first came out. If it's "vanlife" then it's twice the price. They see Mr. Instagram coming! ;) Back to the topic at hand...

Chadx

Same thing happened to dual sport motorcycles, and all related kit, about 10+ years ago.

The labels on the below meme could just as well be "Regular Screwdriver" and "Overlanding Screwdriver" (though, both need to be multiplied by 10 to adjust for inflation since this meme was made). I've seen the same meme as it relates to "regular" vs "boating" screwdrivers. The truth in this is funny, though hurts a little bit at the same time. Ha.

screwdrivers.jpg

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
Do the High Country Fixed Removable and Fixed models work with a standard pickup truck or do you need a 60-inch commercial cab and chassis?

Arnold: Initially we designed the High Country to work with a 60-inch commercial cab and chassis, but we have since decided that we could adapt the design to a standard one-ton truck. If that’s what customers want, we will work with them.

Interesting that they would be looking to put this on a pickup. Weighs 3000 lbs, payload on a #11300 F350 runs around 4300 lbs with a gasser.

Could work so long as you go with aluminum flatbed, maybe 2(maybe not 4) underbed boxes, light amount of gear/tools, stock bumper/no winch/no lights, stock wheels/tires, stock fuel tank, etc etc. Ask me how I know... ;)

Ninelitetrip

Here’s the thing, though. They make two different flatbeds a light duty has a max weight of 3000 pounds and comes in a max length of 8 feet, which they will only put on a long bed frame and they have a heavy duty flatbed which has a payload of 5000 pounds for the cab chassis. The High Country is 9.5 feet. How does that fit on an 8 foot flatbed with a max payload of 3000 pounds?

Chadx

The "Truck Camper" article mentions the HC removeable "flatbed camper requires a special version of the company’s Aluma Tray and then uses four bolts to affix the camper to the Aluma Tray bed". So it is likely a hybrid of the HD Aluma Tray adapted to the 350 chassis.

Last edited:

Chadx

As impressive as everything is inside, the highlight for me was the LED light bars rather than LED dome lights. Really amazing how that improves the feel, and increases usability, of the lighting. All OEV should have similar. Granted, the pop-tops may not want the lighting right at the outer edge of the ceiling since, when the top is down and soft-top is folded in, it would block the light bars. Simply moving the light bars inboard a foot or so would resolve that.

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
Thx for the video post chadx.
LED (and dimmable too) looks like a nice upgrade. Horseshoe dinette gives a lot of room.
A bit surprised it's still only their standard 38gal fresh water tank; not bad, but I'd have expected a bit larger in this HC cabin.
PS--Arnold needs an OEV shirt. :p

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles