2023 New OEV High Country Hard Wall Camper Flatbed and Fixed

Chadx

♫ Off the road again. Just can't wait to get...
Looks like an air exchanger. or filtered positive pressure setup to keep dust out. Or, small vent for a wetbath since solar on top might prohibit roof vent for wet bath.

Chadx

So then, the passenger-side exterior "wart" does look to be a wetbath vent.

Crux

Looks very nice, although the rear side windows should be twice as big to not feel claustrophobic (similar to Nimbl)

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
- (diesel or gas) cabin heater and oev hydronic system.
Will be interesting to see implementation details of that, but I think they have the specs mixed up because only the fixed High Country comes with diesel heater/hydronic and full induction cooktop. OEV has diesel/hydronic listed Flatbed PDF. The flatbed high country comes with propane heat (truma) and one burner propane stove and removable induction burner.
Anxious to see the overall layout of interior with wet bath and the dinette seating (with drivers side wider than passenger side).

Who says the HC-R(Removable) doesn't come with gas or diesel air heater, and Hydronic? I have seen the HC-R price sheet via my dealer, but unfortunately it says "See spec sheet for description of standard" and by that I assume they mean the spec sheet in the link above (ie Download on the site);
WAIT, check that, pictures I've seen note a 20lb propane locker on driver side. So I think you're correct--wonder if OEV cut/pasted from the fixed HC onto the HC-R spec sheet and didn't notice the mistake?

I believe the pass side wart is a Maxxair Dome van, maybe painted white (vs black like in my Aterra).

Dinette on driver side is longer than pass side, which is cool, but makes for an odd sized 2nd (dinette) bed.

Looks very nice, although the rear side windows should be twice as big to not feel claustrophobic (similar to Nimbl)

Bigger the windows, the more thermal loss you're going to get...it's definitely a tradeoff for light/bright vs thermally stable. BTDT

Chadx

Who says the HC-R(Removable) doesn't come with gas or diesel air heater, and Hydronic?
WAIT, check that, pictures I've seen note a 20lb propane locker on driver side. So I think you're correct--wonder if OEV cut/pasted from the fixed HC onto the HC-R spec sheet and didn't notice the mistake?

I think they do have some copy and paste issues. Unfortunately, I catch little issues constantly on their website, PDFs, etc. (Measurements incorrect, options incorrect or inconsistent between their PDF spec sheet and what the website text says, etc.). They must be working on it this morning as I see none of the download links work, PDFs are not accessible anymore, and the revamped HC-Removeable page is now white text on a white background, so only way to see text is highlight it with cursor. Typically, web work is performed in a sandbox or on renamed URL then once complete, the live pages are replaced all at once, but seems they are developing on the live pages.

As for specs, I believe the website text (the expandable features under both the HC-Fixed and HC-Removable) are correct and the PDF (now inaccessible) are incorrect.
The website says propane Truma combi heat, single propane burner and removable single burner induction for the HC-R. And says gas/diesel/hydronic heat and dual burner induction cooktop for HC-F. I believe that to be true because that would be consistent with their other removeable/flatbed vs fixed camper designs.
As you said, in the images they have released of the HC-R, one can see the driver's side 20lb propane locker.

Trail Talk

• Relion LT100Ah LiFePO4 battery (note-std spec does not come with a battery)
• Lithioncs 320Ah LiFePO4 battery (note-std spec does not come with a battery)

We like to follow the evolution of OEV specs for ideas. We are planning a battery upgrade to LiFePO4 so I became familiar with Lithionics since it was their only lithium product but very spendy. Now I hear this news:
FTC enforces Made In USA Rule against Lithionics

RELion is a new offering by OEV; wonder if its related or simply a more reasonable alternative, or both?

Last edited:

Ninelitetrip

All the social media and website are internal, at least in the past. They really need to step up their social media game and clean up the website.

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
I agree with you guys. I cannot keep the constantly-evolving model names straight, the changes and conflicting information and all, it's exhausting. All of these different cabins they're offerings are awesome, but they need a clear and definitive naming system IMHO, beyond SW(SoftWall) or HW(HardWall), and R(Removable) or F(Fixed).
Earthroamer had it for a bit; XV-LT, XV-LTS(Stretch). XV-LTSS (SuperStretch).

I've run this feedback up the flag pole.

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
So I see on OEV's home page Hybrid is gone and they now have:
Fixed
Flat-bed
Slide-in

Who says they don't listen ?. Actually, I think they do, and have, --> to everyone's benefit.

And they have a teaser E-Series 4x4 camper project. Yay, I do like what this co. is doing.

Built a better pop up, trays for integration, keeping their units narrow, NA sourced where possible, fixed mount (we need more of these), and now E-Series.

Dynamite !

They now have dropdowns for HardWall, Removable, and Fixed. That really should instead say Removable-HW, Removable-SW, and Fixed...because the 3 Fixed cabins are all HW as well so HardWall is misleading/confusing.

E-Series cutaway will be interesting. All of their campers have pretty industry-standard 60"L cabovers, whereas the cab for an E-Series is super short compared to a CrewCab truck, so how will this work? Cabover can't hang over the hood of the E, and it'd look silly to have a really long aft-of-cab cab extension.

Fixed mount; why do we need more? They're over double the price of a removable camper (ie BC-SW at $160k, when an 8' HB-SW is $68k). I think the BC is great, but I do not see/understand the value in the $92k delta over a standard SW camper, do you?
A fully custom flatbed/headache cross frame tunnel box(allowing more storage than BC-HW setup offers, at less weight), 4 custom under-bed boxes is ~$30k installed. That still leaves $62k. Subtract ~$10k for power roof = $52k remaining. So a horseshoe dinette, shower pan in the entry floor, no propane, Hydronic, extra solar panel, Molle on the back, some higher end Victron and a 2000W inverter...is worth $52,000? Not trying to come across critical, I'm trying to wrap my brain around the math.

HC-R, under Download specs, still says diesel or petrol heater, OEV hydronic. That'll be cool.

Last edited:

Chadx

HC-R, under Download specs, still says diesel or petrol heater, OEV hydronic. That'll be cool.

Welllllll, that just means the download spec is still wrong. ;) That is the spec for the HC-F; not HC-R. Click on the Plumbing/Heating/Cooling tab to see the real specs (screen shot pasted below).

Diesel/gas heat source are plumbed it directly into the pickups fuel tank. Yes, they likely could rig a removable camper to have the same gas/diesel source by placing an onboard fuel tank for the gas/diesel, but I find that unlikely, especially because the images of the HC-R already show a propane compartment. That also aligns with OEV's history of only putting gas/diesel on fixed campers while all removable campers use propane.

Paste of HC-removable specs noting propane:
HC-R specs.JPG

Paste of HC-Fixed specs noting gas/diesel:
HC-F specs.JPG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles