2023 GMC Canyon AT4X

Littlehouse

Adventurer
$48,295 seems like a deal in today's market. I hope you can at least get one at MSRP....

Any idea why they didn't do the 10-speed like the ranger?

colierar

Observer
I know, I was thinking the same thing. I would go with the trail boss for $39,000. I have 2.5 more years till I turn 50 and I was thinking one of those would make a good present to myself! Still a lot of money but if it makes it 20-25 years, it could be my last truck.

skrypj

$48,295 seems like a deal in today's market. I hope you can at least get one at MSRP....

Any idea why they didn't do the 10-speed like the ranger?

It is a pretty reasonable price for what you get.

why no 10 speed. Because GM sucks. Look at how they distributed the 10 speed on the silverado for so long. For a while they had the 6, 8 and 10 speeds in the silverado line up depending on trimand engine choice. Its 100% about the upsell

Last edited:

plumber mike

Adventurer
I’m probably a small minority, but I’ve been very happy with the 2.7/8 speed combo in my 2022 Silverado. I’m probably one of the few who wanted to try that engine rather than those who chose to settle for it.
I had a ten speed in a super duty that would totally skip some gears and then get confused and downshift. Maddening for me. Enough that I got rid of the truck. Had a 2022 frontier briefly. The torque converter shudder made it feel like it was going to drop parts out below. Sounds like it wasn’t just me who had problems there.
The 2.7/8 speed in comparison has been consistent and predictable. I think it’d be an absolute hoot in a smaller lighter vehicle. I’m just not sure how much smaller and lighter a Colorado or canyon would be in comparison. The Silverado was definitely cheaper than the smaller trucks were when i bought it this summer.

skyfree

I have no complaints about the 6 speed in my 2018 ZR2 but 2 more gears would be fine.

Has anyone looked into the bed shape compared to the 2nd generation (2015-2022)? I'm wondering if my OVRLND camper would fit on the new body. I'm guessing Jay would know but I don't want to bother him yet.

The new truck looks great with more ground clearance and (possibly) better engine. The one thing I spotted that is a potential deal breaker for me is the auto start-stop that resets after every power off. Unless there is a way to completely disable that I'm out. With GM vehicles it's usually not hard to disable it luckily.

I don't see any fuel efficiency EPA numbers yet on the Chevy website. With the same size fuel tank I'm hoping the new gasser is close to the old diesel.

My 2018 is completely dialed in, leveled and slightly lifted with King suspension, OVRLND, interior buildout kitchen and storage that bolts to the bed, radio, ditch lights, and DC power connection for the camper so I doubt I would switch but it's good to have options available if I ever feel like it.

skrypj

The epa numbers are out now and they are not great considering its a mid sized truck. But I suspect that the truck might be able to hit them fairly easily unlike a lot of gas engines.

fuel tank size is the one thing I dont love about it, but its a mid sized truck and they usually dont get bigger tanks from any brand.

What would be really cool is if GM took the LZ0 Duramax and made it a 5 or 4 cylinder for the Colorado/Canyon. Put it in the 200-250 hp range and it would work pretty well I feel like. i am pretty impressed with the LZ0 but not with the truck around it so much.

archipeep

Picked up a '23 GMC Canyon AT4 on Saturday. Its my daily, and will be a backup rig to our '97 Land Cruiser, but my initial experience is that its a really nice ride. The 2.7/8 had PLENTY of power unloaded (haven't loaded it up but I'm sure it will be fine). Turbolag is minimal. Gas mileage the last few days in L.A. traffic has been about 19mpg. Not bad for two days of HEAVY traffic.

Probably won't get out to the desert or mountains in a little while with this one. I've got a baby on the way and plenty of work on the house to do to get ready. When we do finally venture out it in I'll try to add an updated and more comprehensive report.

Grassland

Anyone have any links or threads about going the route of a Chevy WT 4x4 with the locker and doing aftermarket lift and tires, vs doing the Trail Boss and maybe changing tires down the road?

Chevy Colorado is the only truck I can build sub 50k CAD with the options I need/want. A trail boss is just above 50k and a Silverado or F150 the way I want is over 60k... Just thinking if a WT with steel wheels saves me 5k I can throw some good struts/shocks/springs and tires on after I wear out factory tires. Save a bunch of money up front.

But maybe there is something critical I'm missing

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior