2022 Rivian R1T Launch Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

billiebob

not sure about things being any better in 5 years judging by the way the world is currently looking
Actually the way the world is looking is what drives new technologies. Same old same old drives the status quo.
Change, dramatic change changes the world.

Before WWII aviation was developing Seaplanes for intercontinental travel. WWII resulted in massive airstrips around the world and suddenly we did not need to land on water. We have been stuck in that reality for 50 years. We make incremental improvements today but the reality is we are stuck in a rut. The status quo and Corporations protected by the politicians they buy. The way the world is looking is cause for hope.

Progress needs massive change to move ahead, We did it in the1960s with the NASA Space Program. We did it in the 1930s with the New deal after the Stock Market Crash. We did it when immigrants from Europe established colinization of North America..... at the expense of our Aboriginal Peoples. But the world is looking better today because change is in the wind. I'm hoping my grandchildren can meet the challenge..... actually I am glad they have the challenge to meet..... Lord knows we have been kind of pitiful for the last 20 years.

X Terra Firma

I bet you are wrong, the electric market just has not got there yet. Baja is a target not yet on the radar.
You can go look at the results. Lordstown endurance team got beat by team shitbox in the EV class, neither could finish the race. It was a fun race to watch multi million dollar team getting out engineered by team shitbox

Edit: or not actually sure if they had an official class, but I know of at least 2 teams who did the race in EVs. Team shitbox and Lordstown Motors. Lordstown completed 40 out of the 250 miles and drove backwards on a live race course. And it was the 250 not the 1000. Heres a write up TFL did https://tfltruck.com/2021/04/lordst...to-complete-the-san-felipe-250-off-road-race/

Last edited:

X Terra Firma

1646803225615.png

1646803593535.png

Last edited:

X Terra Firma

and it looks like Lordstown motors has sold their factory to a Taiwanese hardware manufacturing company that makes iphone. I bet the rest of the EV makers are frothing to win that race now, let alone the 1000

NorthwestDriver

Just look at the simplicity. No cooling system. No exhaust system. No intake system. Heck submarines have been electric under water for 100 years. The electric Tube in London was running 40 years BEFORE the internal combustion engine was invented. If you go turtle there is zero fossil fuel spill. And then there is POWER !!!! The fastest/quickest cars in the world ALL use electric motors.

There IS a cooling system. There’s also a battery management system, a charging system, high voltage wiring, 4 motors (and 4 single speed transfer cases), etc. It’s conceptually simpler than ICE, but there is plenty to maintain.

FWIW I have an R1S order.

Avg national gas price as of 3/08/22 = $4.17. $100000 vehicle = 23,980 gallons of gas. 4wd Truck getting 12mpg = 287,760 miles. I'll take driving the 287k miles all day

You’re comparing it to driving a free truck for 287k miles. My 21 PowerWagon was $70k, and 12 mpg is close enough - so $30k difference @ $4.17/gal, is 7200 gallons ~ 86k miles. We are also not covering the cost to charge the Rivian in this equation.

I wouldn’t buy a first gen Rivian, but I like the concept and will wait for things to evolve. Some of the Rivian videos are amazing to watch. The TFL towing video is interesting, it shows the battery life for towing is abysmal (not surprising), but the Rivian is on 34” tires, towing a trailer with an old Ford truck on it, up a 7% grade at 11k feet of elevation, and it can out accelerate the empty Ram 1500 camera vehicle trying to keep up. It will be interesting to see where things are at 5 years from now.

I have a Challenger 6.4L Scat Pack, and my buddy has a Tesla Model 3 - he can eat my lunch without even trying. Even if I get a decent launch, he can literally let off the accelerator to let me almost catch up and then walk away from me, again and again - just playing with me. We are at 5000 feet, so my car is a bit out of breath, but these electric vehicles have a ton of power.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

X Terra Firma

You’re comparing it to driving a free truck for 287k miles.
Well yes that is the comparison. Going with such a low mpg would cover a majority of used cars on the road, you could take a kid whos a brand new driver getting a hand-me-down or someone whos driving an inexpensive vehicle, granted those vehicles most likely wouldn't last that many miles. The main point is comparing an average used vehicle which is paid off, vs spending $100k entry on an EV in which to gain more economy. I'd hope if buying a new 2021 vehicle for $70,000, one would see mpg in the 20 to high 20s mpg range, in which I would have used a higher mpg for the comparison instead of 12mpg and a different cost comparison.

And I agree, EV definitely is the way to go for HP and Torque, no denying that. I only mentioned how we wont see an EV winning the hardest race in the world anytime soon, the baja 1000. Factoring in a larger tire and sand + dirt, economy on an EV is 1/4 of its normal range.

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
I saw one in Ocean Beach,San Diego yesterday. Really a neat looking truck. The micro bed though is a no go. It looks to be about the size of a Honda Ridgeline if that. I'd love to drive one someday. Maybe they'll offer a stretched version? With fuel prices someday might come sooner.

gabrielef

Avg national gas price as of 3/08/22 = $4.17. $100000 vehicle = 23,980 gallons of gas. 4wd Truck getting 12mpg = 287,760 miles. I'll take driving the 287k miles all day

It’s not an accurate model of the cost of ownership though. Now that you converted your $100K car to gas then miles, now you need to pay for the gas for those 287K miles, adjusted for inflation just over 19 years, assuming 15K miles per year. That’s basically ~$5200/yr for gas (not adjusted). That’s about $434.38 per month.

Now for an electric vehicle, it costs about $75/mo to charge your car, plus about $10K for the initial cost of a fast charger in your garage. So add ~$41.67/mo.

In the end, over 20 years, that electric vehicle has a better cost of ownership.

And this is before all the maintenance items and fixes get factored in.

The future is here.

X Terra Firma

It’s not an accurate model of the cost of ownership though. Now that you converted your $100K car to gas then miles, now you need to pay for the gas for those 287K miles, adjusted for inflation just over 19 years, assuming 15K miles per year. That’s basically ~$5200/yr for gas (not adjusted). That’s about $434.38 per month.

Now for an electric vehicle, it costs about $75/mo to charge your car, plus about $10K for the initial cost of a fast charger in your garage. So add ~$41.67/mo.

In the end, over 20 years, that electric vehicle has a better cost of ownership.

And this is before all the maintenance items and fixes get factored in.

The future is here.

Are you basing that off your current ownership and real world use of an electric vehicle? And being able to use it off-road? That was my main reason using 12mpg vs say 40mpg vehicle. Because 12mpg would include what someone would get off-road. What's the cost of your electric vehicle being added into your equation?

Im assuming $100k out the door on your rivian + $116/mo gets you right to the $5200 a year @ 12mpg shitbox or all off-road miles over 19 years

and its all going to be relative we could argue tits and tats all day

checking out an article in a auto mag and comparing 30k miles real world driving a tesla, they found it hardly less cost in maintenance compared to their ICE cars in the same test. $400 lubing calipers, $1200 in tires, $1100 cracked windshield, $1200 cracked glass roof

Last edited:

SlickRope

The cost of electricity will go up. If you ever plan on using a charger out side of your home it's not far off of what fuel use to be. The Rivian cost like $30 for a 80% charge on TFL( I don't have the exact number but it was close). Also, the fact that you have to stop every 150miles for a hour because once you hit 80% charge it will take another 45mins to fill that 20%. These vehicles are awesome for people in cities, and those that just use them to commute. If you plan on doing trips or have to drive long distance for work everyday or just multiple stops they aren't there yet. Hybrids are going to be they better choice. At lease till they figure out how to instant charge EV's or a way to get more mileage. Once that happens watch electricity skyrocket.

gabrielef

Are you basing that off your current ownership and real world use of an electric vehicle? And being able to use it off-road? That was my main reason using 12mpg vs say 40mpg vehicle. Because 12mpg would include what someone would get off-road. What's the cost of your electric vehicle being added into your equation?

Im assuming $100k out the door on your rivian + $116/mo gets you right to the $5200 a year @ 12mpg shitbox or all off-road miles over 19 years

and its all going to be relative we could argue tits and tats all day

checking out an article in a auto mag and comparing 30k miles real world driving a tesla, they found it hardly less cost in maintenance compared to their ICE cars in the same test. $400 lubing calipers, $1200 in tires, $1100 cracked windshield, $1200 cracked glass roof

I was just basing it off the number you came up with. Yea, that’s a lot of offroad miles I suppose lol. But I guess you could split those 287K miles into 30% offroad @ 12 MPG, and 70% daily driving. Or whatever your lifestyle is I suppose.

I was thinking we were talking about a $100K Rivian. Most Teslas won’t be off-roading as much as a Rivian will I recon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles