2022 RAM 5500 Composite "Super Camper"

StenchRV

Question:
Since you have full access to undercarriage now, Will you mark lines/cabling? and have a schematic?

Also, will you be UnderCoating anything?

AWESOME build

THANKS!

Yes! Marking lines and wires is a must in my world. I have repaired way to many electrical problems in other rigs and airplanes not to mark the CRAP out of everything. I am even buying a special label maker just for that purpose. I will have a schematic, for reference later :)

I am giving serious thought to undercoating some stuff while the rig is still generally clean. A quick power washing would have it ready to go.
I LOVE POR 15 and it is usually tough stuff. I tend to brush it on. I will probably use Raptor Liner on a lot of the truck itself and some other things as the build goes along.

CHEERS!!

billwilson

Adventurer
LOL
I was thinking after a couple of shake down cruises, you venture out Beyond The Black Stump (google it)
and the rig is covered underneath in mud, or better yet, Frozen mud and you trying to trace a very simple thing :cool:

StenchRV

LOL
I was thinking after a couple of shake down cruises, you venture out Beyond The Black Stump (google it)
and the rig is covered underneath in mud, or better yet, Frozen mud and you trying to trace a very simple thing :cool:

Excellent point taken :) We can not wait to venture Beyond The Black Stump, or at least try too.......yes I Duck Duck go'd it :).

One very important thing I hope most builders know is never build something you can not easily service or repair. And NOT in the shop, out in the field. Plan accordingly and have a backup plan, you may be your only resource.

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
One very important thing I hope most builders know is never build something you can not easily service or repair. And NOT in the shop, out in the field. Plan accordingly and have a backup plan, you may be your only resource.

Abso freaking lutely!!! This was the core of how i and why i did most of my build

StenchRV

@StenchRV what width of 80/20 are you using? 1.5"?

I opted for the 30 series. Ordered a few sample sizes from Amazon and then made my order with 8020. Shipping is a bit on the high side but the product looks GREAT.

I did purchase some of the hardware from both 8020 and Amazon. I am fabricating my 8020 to box mounts and some various 8020 assembly parts.

Last edited:

StenchRV

Thanks @StenchRV . I'm assuming that we use the flat sided version of the 80/20 when glueing to walls. Is that right / does it matter?

I am not gluing the 8020 directly to the walls. I am fabricating some 1.25" X 2.5" 6061 structural angle"mounts". SQ inch contact patch is the point.
Probably 6 inches long each. NO point loads. I will bolt them to the 8020 and glue them to the TC box.

No turning back now!

IMG_5765.jpeg

CHEERS!!

StenchRV

Solar panel test fit! My math was correct, just barely. 1" between the center panels, hence the need for custom mounts. 2.5" X 2.5" 6061 3/16" thick structural aluminum angle. Countersunk to accept the riv-nut head so the mount fits tight against the panel. All stainless steel mounting hardware.

Enough room to reseal the extrusions later when the need arrises. I will final mount and wire them when I open a Korapop for windows. The main reason for using the Korapop, other than TC likes us too :), is that the solar panel mounts just touch the edge of the Korapop wide sealant layer installed by OAT during box assembly. I have to clean it first! I figured Korapop on Korapop was the best plan. Sika 205 primer in hand.

IMG_5780.jpeg

This is how you get a 65 LB AC on the roof! EASY!

IMG_5776.jpeg

CHEERS!!

ExpoMike

I seriously need access to a workshop like this!!!! Top of my box sitting at 9.5', it's really hard to get up to work on roof stuff, when working on a sloped driveway.... :(

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
Beautifully done sir. That solar array looks like artwork!

Protip on the houghton install i may or may not have forgot to mention. Make sure to get their "extra thick install kit", its needed for the plenum.

Also, follow the instructions carefully for the wood support thing inside of it. This took me a little trial and error to get perfect.

K

StenchRV

Protip on the houghton install i may or may not have forgot to mention. Make sure to get their "extra thick install kit", its needed for the plenum.

Also, follow the instructions carefully for the wood support thing inside of it. This took me a little trial and error to get perfect.

K

Now you tell me! LOL I did not use wood. I figured the wood instructions were for a "standard" RV roof. I tried to compress the plug I cut out of the roof, oh heck no! VERY LITTLE compression. I was able to get the AC installed without the thick roof kit. They said 3 3/8" or more of roof thickness. My plug measured 3 5/16"...I know, being picky. I removed the washers to get it started and then reinstalled them at about 3 FT LBS and moved onto 6 foot LBS. Plenum lined up perfect, with room to spare after bolt torque, compressing the 3/4" roof sealant gasket.

Darn thing fit like a glove.

CHEERS!!

Last edited:

StenchRV

K

Never be afraid to admit a mistake.

Well so much for that bright idea! I decided to run a 1/4" bolt point load test on the plug. Torqued to 6 FT Lb and see if the plug I cut out from the roof compresses.
At 4 FT LB, over 1/8" compression. Remove AC plenum, route out foam and begin the wood fill process. LIKE THE INSTRUCTIONS SAID! DumbA$$!
Wish I would have done this BEFORE I glued the mount to the roof. When you shined a bright light at the interior roof you could just see a small wave. It almost all came out after I took it apart. OH WELL, nothing that can not be fixed, I just made it harder.

Now we will see when all is said and done if I will require the thick roof kit.

ONWARD! CHEERS!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles