2022 RAM 5500 Composite "Super Camper"

Victorian

Approved Vendor : Total Composites
One thing to consider with the 8020 pieces running horizontally across the roof:
when there is a large temperature difference between the outside and inside, the roof panel will bow downwards.

I don't know if it is better to let it flex or better to resist the bowing.
The cabinet you are building looks close to a wall so maybe the effect will be less dramatic.

Expansion/contraction is certainly something to be aware off. I'm personally not a big fan of metal interiors. Adds a hole bunch of complexity.

StenchRV

One thing to consider with the 8020 pieces running horizontally across the roof:
when there is a large temperature difference between the outside and inside, the roof panel will bow downwards.

I don't know if it is better to let it flex or better to resist the bowing.
The cabinet you are building looks close to a wall so maybe the effect will be less dramatic.

There will be no 8020 on the roof. I will probably use 6061 structural angle .1875 thick with a minimum contact patch of 10 sq inches per mount with 6 mounts used per solar panel. I have used this system before on a FRP panel roof, using 3M VHB with outstanding results. The TC box, and its properties, is new and a little different. Korapop, or something similar, may be the way to go.

We will be building overhead cabinets on both sides of the box, about 7 feet per side.

Cheers

Last edited:

CalgaryMcLean

There will be no 8020 on the roof. I will probably use 6061 structural angle .1875 thick with a minimum contact patch of 10 sq inches per mount with 6 mounts used per solar panel. I have used this system before on a FRP panel roof, using 3M VHB with outstanding results. The TC box, and its properties, is new and a little different. Korapop, or something similar, may be the way to go.

We will be building overhead cabinets on both sides of the box, about 7 feet per side.

Cheers
I was thinking more about the interior of the roof panel (ceiling I guess).

When it is cold outside (-30C) and warm inside (20 C), the center of the ceiling may drop by 3/8" relative to the walls.

Will there be too much stress on the roof panel when it wants to come down but the vertical 8020 won't let it? I really don't know.

I am building out the interior of a composite box with 8020 and trying to always keep in mind that those nice square walls and ceiling don't actually stay that way as the temperature between the interior and exterior changes. Ideally something can give a bit before any stresses get to high.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220508-185957_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20220508-185957_Chrome.jpg
    861.2 KB · Views: 45

StenchRV

I was thinking more about the interior of the roof panel (ceiling I guess).

When it is cold outside (-30C) and warm inside (20 C), the center of the ceiling may drop by 3/8" relative to the walls.

Will there be too much stress on the roof panel when it wants to come down but the vertical 8020 won't let it? I really don't know.

I am building out the interior of a composite box with 8020 and trying to always keep in mind that those nice square walls and ceiling don't actually stay that way as the temperature between the interior and exterior changes. Ideally something can give a bit before any stresses get to high.

Now I understand your previous question. Ceiling

I doubt I will be anywhere where the OAT is -30C. (-22F) but we will be in cold weather, and hot weather. Say 0F to 100F range

I have never heard of a 3 inch thick roof panel "dropping", yet alone 3/8", especially at the wall junction. I could see some deflection mid roof. I would hate to see the stresses that could cause the ceiling "drop" or deflect 3/8" 20 inches in from the side wall. If you have some references please feel free to share. Knowledge is a good thing. Nothing I have done is permanent.....yet.

Victorian ? Feel free to chime in.

I have seen numerous interior builds using both wood and 8020 that have portions of them going from floor to ceiling. Our refrigerator box will do the same for storage. Bathroom wall is attached to the wardrobe screen picture you shared.
I have also seen numerous upper cabinets, built using wood, firmly attach to the sidewall and roof. ARV B Box come to mind, and others. Some 18' X 18" Our upper cabinets will be 12" X 12" and be glued to the roof and the walls with structural angle attached to the 8020.

EVERYTHING changes shape with temperature, agreed.

Cheers

Last edited:

Victorian

Approved Vendor : Total Composites
Every material has some movement with temperature changes. Our fiberglass panels and extrusions do that too but very very minimal. They also do this at the same rate. No stress between materials. Totally different story with aluminum extrusions as used by others. No matter what they say, it’s physics.
The tern windows on the other hand sometimes “ pop” after a hot day. Other then that, I have never seen or heard from others about issues.
also, please keep in mind that with solar panels, skylights, a/c units the roof can sag a bit.

Attachments

• 2DB7CBE2-8EA3-4ED3-8487-112C5297FB50.jpeg
    2DB7CBE2-8EA3-4ED3-8487-112C5297FB50.jpeg
    83.1 KB · Views: 81
  • 6DF21915-BF61-4962-AF01-6F3F19662A5D.jpeg
    6DF21915-BF61-4962-AF01-6F3F19662A5D.jpeg
    158 KB · Views: 80

StenchRV

Every material has some movement with temperature changes. Our fiberglass panels and extrusions do that too but very very minimal. They also do this at the same rate. No stress between materials. Totally different story with aluminum extrusions as used by others. No matter what they say, it’s physics.
The tern windows on the other hand sometimes “ pop” after a hot day. Other then that, I have never seen or heard from others about issues.
also, please keep in mind that with solar panels, skylights, a/c units the roof can sag a bit.

Thank you.

All the research we have done over the last 3 years is one of the reasons we went with a Total Composites habitat box.
We have seen many well done TC "homes" with cabinets, from various materials, running from floor to ceiling and we have never heard of any issues.

We plan on mounting everything on the roof before we finalize the interior build and start the mounting process. . Also everything will not be a tolerance fit. I have read the cabinet mounting recommendations from Total Composites and will follow them as close as possible.

Thank again Victorian for following along!

CHEERS!

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
@StenchRV for whatever its worth, take a look at how i did my A/C cabinets.

This was intentional. I got the cabinet as close to the A/C plenum as possible and built it into the wall/ceiling so it will double as a support for the weight of the A/C

I am hungover as hell this morning, so if this doesnt make sense, shoot me a PM

StenchRV

@StenchRV for whatever its worth, take a look at how i did my A/C cabinets.

This was intentional. I got the cabinet as close to the A/C plenum as possible and built it into the wall/ceiling so it will double as a support for the weight of the A/C

I am hungover as hell this morning, so if this doesnt make sense, shoot me a PM

You almost made me spit my sweet tea on my computer :)!

I will take a look.

I am placing the AC unit close to the rear wardrobe, as pictured. Blue tape on the ceiling. Farther forward, mid cabin, would not work out the way we wanted it. It sounds like a good thing. It is the smaller 9500 BTU unit. The 14' X 14" opening , will be 18" from the front of the wardrobe and about 16" from the coming bathroom wall. Max Air fan in the bathroom, mounted towards the rear wall. The solar panel load will be spread out over the remaining 7/8th's of the roof area.

IMG_5730.jpeg

ONWARD!

Cheers......no caps...did not want to yell it and it is for later. :)

CalgaryMcLean

Now I understand your previous question. Ceiling

I doubt I will be anywhere where the OAT is -30C. (-22F) but we will be in cold weather, and hot weather. Say 0F to 100F range

I have never heard of a 3 inch thick roof panel "dropping", yet alone 3/8", especially at the wall junction. I could see some deflection mid roof. I would hate to see the stresses that could cause the ceiling "drop" or deflect 3/8" 20 inches in from the side wall. If you have some references please feel free to share. Knowledge is a good thing. Nothing I have done is permanent.....yet.

Victorian ? Feel free to chime in.

I have seen numerous interior builds using both wood and 8020 that have portions of them going from floor to ceiling. Our refrigerator box will do the same for storage. Bathroom wall is attached to the wardrobe screen picture you shared.
I have also seen numerous upper cabinets, built using wood, firmly attach to the sidewall and roof. ARV B Box come to mind, and others. Some 18' X 18" Our upper cabinets will be 12" X 12" and be glued to the roof and the walls with structural angle attached to the 8020.

EVERYTHING changes shape with temperature, agreed.

Cheers

The 3" thick roof panel can bow inwards 3/8" when there is a large temperature differential between inside and outside.
This would be most prominent near to mid roof than for construction closer to the walls.

A note to me from a current TC camper owner, based on actual experience while camping at -39 C: "The TC panels were pretty much spot on in terms of final dimensions matching the drawings. It was pretty much square and plumb. Another consideration is the expansion and contraction of the panels. We have noticed at least a 3/8" expansion and contraction at the middle of our roof panel from side to side. So, the middle of the panel dropped 3/8" in cold weather. The colder it gets the more it drops in the middle."

For most construction closer to the walls, and when camping at less extreme temperatures, this is likely not an issue.

@StenchRV thanks for making this build thread! I'm a couple of months behind you so this is very helpful for me. My truck is at OAT right now and I also went with Total Composites and Outbound doors and windows. The Outbound shipment is about 2 weeks away from delivery to Quade. Looks like I may be able to start my interior build in late June. Thanks also to @RAM5500 CAMPERTHING for the very useful thread and YouTube videos. And yeah, can't say enough good things about Quade and Overland Adventure Trucks.

StenchRV

@StenchRV thanks for making this build thread! I'm a couple of months behind you so this is very helpful for me. My truck is at OAT right now and I also went with Total Composites and Outbound doors and windows. The Outbound shipment is about 2 weeks away from delivery to Quade. Looks like I may be able to start my interior build in late June. Thanks also to @RAM5500 CAMPERTHING for the very useful thread and YouTube videos. And yeah, can't say enough good things about Quade and Overland Adventure Trucks.

You are welcome. Like many before me I figured the best way forward was to share knowledge, experiences and yes even failures and dislikes. We ALL have a LOT invested in our adventure rig build journeys, so it would be crazy not to collaborate. We ALL have something to share :).
We are moving forward, slow but sure. Parts are actually showing up steadily.

Enjoy your build out and share your journey with us!

Quade and the crew at OAT were really great to work with! It is nice to see someone listen to the customers wants, tweak them with experience and build a quality product. Attention to detail is a GOOD THING!

CONGRATULATIONS! We loved looking at your Unimog. GREAT SIZE!

Cheers!

Last edited:

billwilson

Adventurer
Question and Comment:
How many Max Air Fans?

I opted for the Non remote/Non automatic model
(less to maintain and lose the remotes LOL)

I had one on my rig for a few months
Last week, put in the Second
Rear and front

WOW
When it is hot
is sucks out ALL the hot Lickity Split
Then i put on on reverse and keeps the rig cool

When using the heater
I close the vents
and have them pushing in
Circulates the air rapidly and eliminates hot and cold spots

Wish i had done sooner

For reference: I have a 19 foot Class C, built on a Ford Cutaway with walk thru

BW

StenchRV

IT IS HERE......FINALLY.

After 5 months of waiting our Isotherm Cruise 195 fridge is in the hanger! I can build out the 8020 box after I am done with the roof build out.
THANK YOU @Westmarine for honoring the black Friday sale price. Saved us $500! They kept us informed and customer service when we called to inquire about the progress of our order was excellent. Our local West Marine store manager called us right away.

YAHOO....fresh water tanks, a grey tank, are the next big hurdle. They are ordered and should be here in 2 weeks. Fingers crossed!
IMG_5749.jpeg

CHEERS!

billwilson

Adventurer
Question:
Since you have full access to undercarriage now, Will you mark lines/cabling? and have a schematic?

Also, will you be UnderCoating anything?

AWESOME build

StenchRV

Question and Comment:
How many Max Air Fans?

I opted for the Non remote/Non automatic model
(less to maintain and lose the remotes LOL)

I had one on my rig for a few months
Last week, put in the Second
Rear and front

WOW
When it is hot
is sucks out ALL the hot Lickity Split
Then i put on on reverse and keeps the rig cool

When using the heater
I close the vents
and have them pushing in
Circulates the air rapidly and eliminates hot and cold spots

Wish i had done sooner

For reference: I have a 19 foot Class C, built on a Ford Cutaway with walk thru

BW

We will have one Maxx Air Fan.

We also have 2 Sirocco Elite fans. Brushless motors :) to be mounted in the coach. One living area, one bed area.

We have a HUGE roof hatch! We both can stand on the bed and look out if we like...wine nights.
If the fan(s) work out as planned there is plenty of intake and exit space in the roof hatch.

I like to sleep cold so if the fans do not cut it, on with the AC :) Yes I am paying extra for larger batteries so I can be comfy :0).

CHEERS!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles