2022 RAM 5500 Composite "Super Camper"

chris_the_wrench

Fixer & Builder of Things
Just re-read your thread again.

Looks like the Kelderman and some of the subframe mounts/guide plates are living in close proximity to each other, any particular issues they ran into with that?
Is the def filler neck attached to the subframe?

We have a similar truck on order and working out a bunch of small details.

StenchRV

Just re-read your thread again.

Looks like the Kelderman and some of the subframe mounts/guide plates are living in close proximity to each other, any particular issues they ran into with that?
Is the def filler neck attached to the subframe?

We have a similar truck on order and working out a bunch of small details.

OAT and I designed the subframe, around the Kelderman mounts. In doing so we used existing holes in the frame to mount the subframe mounts and guide plates to the frame. We did not want to drill any additional holes if we did not have to. No issues. The DEF tank filler sits just in front of the subframe and box, as designed. I will be relocating the diesel filler necks to the center portion of the truck, one on each side of the wheel, as high as possible to avoid filling issues.

1651585046396.jpeg

1651585108352.jpeg

StenchRV

Making sure our measured drawing matches what we have parked in the hanger....LOL.

We decided to go with a compact roof mount AC, only a few inches taller than our Maxx Air vent.
It was in stock and already on its way.

Solar panels, 9BB design, a bit more compact. Like they were designed for our roof size wise. 3 wide, around the AC fit perfect, and the length was 10 inches short of spot on. 1200 Watts on the way to the hanger.

1651586168396.jpeg

CHEERS!

StenchRV

Blue tape is your friend :). We discovered the water tank we wanted will take up a bit more room than expected. You think you have it right! The height is a no go for the seat portion of the L couch :-(. We wanted 100 gallons but it looks like a 92 gallon will fit perfectly in the allotted space.

I am doing more research and deciding if a custom tank, L shaped for behind the couch back will be worth the expense.
We would gain about 20 extra gallons.

The 92 gallon tank we are looking at has no baffles. The foot print is 53"L X 31" W X 14.25"D. 3/8" wall. It will be sitting on the floor against the forward wall in the middle of the truck frame and over 2 of the habitat box steel cross members.

QUESTION for the group: Are tank baffles a MUST? We can add some baffle balls but I really did NOT WANT a large hole in my water tank.
I am doing more research. THANKS!

Our tank would be ordered blank with no fittings. I prefer top fittings and a check valve for the water pump pickup.

THANKS !

Victorian

Approved Vendor : Total Composites
Blue tape is your friend :). We discovered the water tank we wanted will take up a bit more room than expected. You think you have it right! The height is a no go for the seat portion of the L couch :-(. We wanted 100 gallons but it looks like a 92 gallon will fit perfectly in the allotted space.

I am doing more research and deciding if a custom tank, L shaped for behind the couch back will be worth the expense.

The 92 gallon tank we are looking at has no baffles. The foot print is 53"L X 31" W X 14.25"D. 3/8" wall. It will be sitting on the floor against the forward wall in the middle of the truck frame and over 2 of the habitat box steel cross members.

QUESTION for the group: Are tank baffles a MUST? We can add some baffle balls but I really did NOT WANT a large hole in my water tank.

Our tank would be ordered blank with no fittings. I prefer top fittings and a check valve for the water pump pickup.

THANKS !

YES baffles are a must! Especially with 100 gallons. You are dealing with a lot of moving weight. Our tanks have them standard. https://expeditionupfitter.com/coll...ustom-fabricated-fresh-grey-black-water-tanks

1000arms

THANKS !
You might consider using TWO tanks if the combination will fit and give you the storage you want. The two tanks might be cheaper than one custom tank, easier to replace if replacement is needed, and allow you to still have water if one tank cracks.

You might want to look at Ronco Tanks. They make many sizes, and. If the dimensions aren't listed, click "show image" to see dimensions and shape.

Reactions: mog

StenchRV

You might consider using TWO tanks if the combination will fit and give you the storage you want. The two tanks might be cheaper than one custom tank, easier to replace if replacement is needed, and allow you to still have water if one tank cracks.

You might want to look at Ronco Tanks. They make many sizes, and. If the dimensions aren't listed, click "show image" to see dimensions and shape.

That same thought came to me at 3 AM last night. What if? REALLY GOOD idea, 1000arms. I will look into it. We are discussing having two L shaped food grade plastic tanks made also. I am running the volume calculations now.

I did not think of "if one tank cracks" or replacement. Even better idea! THANKS!

I priced a sheet of 4 X 8 food grade stainless steel last night...... HOLLY HECK! $1350! I WILL NOT be building a custom stainless one, or two.

Good news..... AC and solar panels will be here today! Fingers crossed. I guess I will be cutting my first hole in the box....SOON :)

ONWARD :)

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183

My tank is only 46 gallons, and i do not have baffles in it.

Zero issues in 2 years.

Youre making great progress and its looking awesome man!

1000arms

That same thought came to me at 3 AM last night. What if? REALLY GOOD idea, 1000arms. I will look into it. We are discussing having two L shaped food grade plastic tanks made also. I am running the volume calculations now.

I did not think of "if one tank cracks" or replacement. Even better idea! THANKS!

I priced a sheet of 4 X 8 food grade stainless steel last night...... HOLLY HECK! $1350! I WILL NOT be building a custom stainless one, or two.

Good news..... AC and solar panels will be here today! Fingers crossed. I guess I will be cutting my first hole in the box....SOON :)

ONWARD :)
You are welcome! :)

StenchRV

My tank is only 46 gallons, and i do not have baffles in it.

Zero issues in 2 years.

Youre making great progress and its looking awesome man!

Thank you for the information and the kind words.

I think we are going the dual tank, 50 gallons each, route. No baffles, 3/8" walls.
Ronco, makes one (two) that will work really well, not perfect, but will work with no major issues.
LONG trips planned so the ability to carry 100 gallons will be GREAT.

Kitchen grey tank is easy, very short under the entire kitchen cabinet, 8" tall, 60" long and 20" wide.
The grey tank under the shower will be the fun one. I am thinking drivers side rear exterior, disguised as a storage box.

ONWARD! CHEERS!

Craig

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
Thank you for the information and the kind words.

I think we are going the dual tank, 50 gallons each, route. No baffles, 3/8" walls.
Ronco, makes one (two) that will work really well, not perfect, but will work with no major issues.
LONG trips planned so the ability to carry 100 gallons will be GREAT.

Kitchen grey tank is easy, very short under the entire kitchen cabinet, 8" tall, 60" long and 20" wide.
The grey tank under the shower will be the fun one. I am thinking drivers side rear exterior, disguised as a storage box.

ONWARD! CHEERS!

Craig

Excellent!

Yes, that is my plan as well, shower gray tank drivers side exterior disguised as a storage box.

I am really trying to figure out how to route my shower, sink, and pee from compositing toilet into one gray tank but its been quite challenging. havent given up yet! :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles