2022 RAM 5500 Composite "Super Camper"

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
Ive had aluminum rims on every vehicle accept one since i was 16, I’m 42 now and only had one rim get stuck on. It happens, but it’s not common.

Same here. But with these super singles, they are machined with much tighter tolerances and carrying much more weight. Weight = Heat

On my buckstop wheels, i even had to sand down the powdercoating to get the dang things on the axle! :)

Explorerinil

Observer
Same here. But with these super singles, they are machined with much tighter tolerances and carrying much more weight. Weight = Heat

On my buckstop wheels, i even had to sand down the powdercoating to get the dang things on the axle! :)
Wow, I had no idea the tolerances were that tight on those super singles.

StenchRV

All the aluminum custom made parts for our box, and two others, came back from powder coating today.
NICE! OAT also fabricated the 45 degree covers for the front wall to roof long seam, inner and outer, and a custom made wind deflector for the large roof hatch. 1649718006433.jpeg

StenchRV

Well it is funny how things work out! Just got off the phone with Buckstop, about an hour before they close, and the ENTIRE order is ready for pickup next week! Steel wheels it is!
THANKS everyone for the input! Hopefully I did not cause a glitch in the matrix ?

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
Nice!!!

As for your dual stem discussion…

I had debated that and kept going back and forth on it if I wanted to risk another possible leak point…

I ended up trying these for a temp fix until I could make up my mind and they’ve worked flawless for 2 years, so that’s my solution for the rear tires.

The valve stems line up on all the Buckstop wheels with the holes on the mounting surface so they fit perfectly and easy to access

StenchRV

Nice!!!

As for your dual stem discussion…

I had debated that and kept going back and forth on it if I wanted to risk another possible leak point…

I ended up trying these for a temp fix until I could make up my mind and they’ve worked flawless for 2 years, so that’s my solution for the rear tires.

The valve stems line up on all the Buckstop wheels with the holes on the mounting surface so they fit perfectly and easy to access

I did forget to double check with Buckstop for the extra hole for the valve stem. ?
We used that setup on our inner motorhome tires and they worked fine for 7 years and 55000 miles so that would be my alternate plan. I thought about going the monster valve route also.

Thanks for the info.

StenchRV

We will miss our 24’ goal by a foot or so on the long side but wanted a rear wardrobe, left of the door as you enter. Think smaller ER.

Some details: A few people have asked?

84 CA, 168.5 inch wheelbase
The end of the subframe and box are 13’ even from the back of the cab.
The box is 12‘9” long and sits 3” from the cab.
The box extends over the cab over the cab 4’ and sits 4.5” above the roof of the truck.
16’ 10” TOTAL box length.

In the picture below the rear of the subframe, not including the 2 small hitch receivers, is 19.5 inches from the rear mount which is about even with the rear of the truck frame.

I will tuck the rear bumper under the subframe almost even with the small hitch receivers you see at the end of the subframe. If you look closely at the rear subframe to frame bolted mount you can see a 1/2” spacer, raw metal, that will be replaced by the bumper mount assembly. I plan on incorporating a rear winch, receiver hitch and a rear skid plate (to protect the rear fuel tank) into the rear bumper. Plenty of good ideas on EP!

CHEERS!

1649726321239.jpeg

1649726379147.jpeg

Victorian

Approved Vendor : Total Composites
All the aluminum custom made parts for our box, and two others, came back from powder coating today.
NICE! OAT also fabricated the 45 degree covers for the front wall to roof long seam, inner and outer, and a custom made wind deflector for the large roof hatch. View attachment 716700

They are truly amazing! I can't say enough good things about the skill level at Overland Adventure Trucks!

StenchRV

The planning paid off……BIG TIME!
We can not begin to tell you how many times we measured our blue tape on the floor, helped with actual floor plan size. We moved a few lines and changed things a little here and there, but the results!

OH….As it sits now it is 23’ 4” from the very front of the stock bumper to the very back of the box/subframe!

It was amazing to watch the team at OAT bring everything together. They even let me help…….a little?

1649866470743.jpeg

1649866564848.jpeg

HAPPY does not even cut it! I can not wait to see her with BIG tires!
The proportions worked out PERFECT!

CHEERS!

StenchRV

A few more pics.

1 thing I left out of the measurements. The exterior box and subframe, are 94” wide.
We planned the box to be wide enough to cover the tires on each side by about 3/4” and also to align with the inside of the stock Ram mirrors so can see perfectly down the side of the box. Put both windows down and measure between the inside of the mirrors?. It worked out nicely.

The steps, and door, are set for a 41” tire and 3 extra inches. Enough for a good set of snow chains.
We had planned on 1.5 inches but Quade suggested 3“ and we had the room, good idea Sir!

1649869340892.jpeg

1649869389729.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles