2022 RAM 5500 Composite "Super Camper"

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
We would be coming through Portland on our way TO Buckstop.
When we leave Buckstop we will be headed towards Salt Lake City, due south from Buckstop to join Oregon 20 it looks like.
Bend is close :) to the departure route.

Copy, you'll take Hwy 27 south from Buckstop, to link up to Hwy 20 (SE) to Utah. I'll miss ya then. Safe travels!

StenchRV

Subframe progress! Quade and the crew at Overland Adventure Truck have been busy this week. Almost done! EXCITED for the trip NW on Monday!
Quade had some GREAT ideas during the subframe design. I had an Idea of what I wanted but Quade took it to the next level! I was thinking the subframe would stop just shy of the extrusions so the box sat firmly on the entire subframe. Quade designed a step down to clear the extrusions along the outer edges so when we mount the cargo boxes below the subframe later the exterior will have a clean, uniform, look. HAPPY! The outer habitat mounts are all U channel for ease of cargo box mounting. Designing in two hitch receivers welded to the main subframe rails in the rear for later use......NICE! :) Rear box subframe will be bolted to the truck main frame and I can use the same area to mount the rear bumper later.
Well done O.A.T.!

IMG_1352 2.jpeg

IMG_1438.jpeg

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
Looking good!!
Can you tell us more about how it's mounted to the truck frame? It looks like solid mounts, so no articulating torsion-free setup (3point or 4point pivot)? What does Quade say about the rigid mounting transferring "twist" forces up through the camper/cabin?

StenchRV

Looking good!!
Can you tell us more about how it's mounted to the truck frame? It looks like solid mounts, so no articulating torsion-free setup (3point or 4point pivot)? What does Quade say about the rigid mounting transferring "twist" forces up through the camper/cabin?

It is not rigid mounted. Way too much frame twist ability on the RAM 5500 frame. The rear subframe and rear truck frame are bolted together and there are 4 HD spring mounts, 2 on each side, that provide movement between the frame and subframe. We will dial in the spring rates, now, and when fully built out. UHMW between the two frames and guides and limit devices in place. I will post more detailed photos this week as we just arrived in WA today.

We start composite box construction in the morning!

CHEERS

chris_the_wrench

Fixer & Builder of Things
From all the measurements, one will not be needed. A bump stop will be installed, just in case. Even with an air bag failure, failures, the habitat will not be able touch the tire. The subframe is 5.25” tall.

The pic after the frame has been painted really shows the size of the frame rails. Are those 5x3"? Really curious to see how all those step downs they cut into the ends of the cross supports come into play.

StenchRV

Y
The pic after the frame has been painted really shows the size of the frame rails. Are those 5x3"? Really curious to see how all those step downs they cut into the ends of the cross supports come into play.

Yes, those are 5”X3” frame rails. The step downs are to clear the extrusions which are about 3/16” larger than the panels. The floor panel will sit flat on the entire subframe.

StenchRV

Almost done with the Total Composites box assembly. Might finish today!
We will be taking home and installing the 2 large side windows, one on each side, the loft window and the drivers side smaller hatch. We want to layout the inside with blue tape so the large window placement is exactly where we want them.

1649448649118.jpeg

1649448740852.jpeg

StenchRV

Testing the subframe and setting the spring rates for the trip home with an almost empty box. We will add longer bolts and springs after the built out. The guide plates were added today, just need coating. ?
Custom exhaust work done to miss the steps. Step bracket welded in and steps will be mounted for the trip home.

1649459837225.jpeg

1649459953860.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior