2022 RAM 5500 Composite "Super Camper"

Vance Vanz

Vance,

Feel free to PM me. In the end I will be paying someone else to save us some time...go figure, plus DDG makes some really nice products. NOT CHEAP! but engineered and well made from everything I can gather. DDG will be custom adapting the tire carrier to fit our subframe with a few modifications. Shipping is another thing entirely, Washington to Georgia. Wish we were closer.

My wife is coating the existing bamboo with 2 coats of polly. We found out that I can not put my dirty hands on anything without leaving a mark with the raw oil finish. I will be back in the wood shop next week and get everything cut and prepared for her to oil and poly. Will post for sure.

The truck in the above picture, post #379, is a DDG build. At least the subframe and tire carrier. Total Composites box. Not sure who did the buildout. It is on their website. Not sure if they have a build thread. DDG also sent us a few pictures of the tire carrier in the build process, cool to see.

I am like you, crunching LONG days trying to wrap this rig up! Getting ready for a HUGE trip with the rig. More on that later :cool: Hope to depart around August 1st, and the dry board list is LONG! CRUNCH TIME!

ONWARD!!

CHEERS!!
Sounds great related to the spare tire carrier. I'll be in touch.

I spoke with Reuben several times when I was considering their subframe and a TC box, as well as when I switched over to building the habitat box myself. Yah, they are not cheap and when you tack on shipping, it can make you start to re-evaluate options. I'm glad you got it dialed in and made a decision.

I'm with you on saving time on the build by subbing out projects. I may have the painters do all of the final fairing on the camper, inside and out, if it is for a reasonable price. I can do it myself, but I have to find ways to get this thing moving quicker.

I like that your wife is cracking the whip and laying down the law. Keep your dirty mittens out of her work ?.

Keep cranking, you are doing great work!

StenchRV

Long days = progress!

1685623683143.jpeg
PRO TIP......run as much wiring as possible BEFORE the habitat goes on. :)

1685623749010.jpeg
Welded in an angle wire run to tidy things up and make it easy to service later if needed.
1685623806353.jpeg
Air line redo with Parker fittings and Parker DOT airline. Ready for a shock reservoir :)

1685623933925.jpeg
Grey tank in an plumbed to the #1 aux switch in the cab. Now Snowball can GO "Pee" :)
1685624095636.jpeg
Will test the fuel fill flow next time out. Time for a drive!

Rock protection. Glued in (1/2 a tube of Korapop with primer) and and a few screws, just in case.
Scuffed the SS REALLY WELL! Held in place for 24 hours to cure.

1685624341892.jpeg

1685624372296.jpeg

CHEERS!!

StenchRV

Tire carrier. We spent some $$ to save some time and simplify the back wall situation. NO rear wall rack or habit mounted tire lifting, lower, apparatus.

1685624573668.jpeg
DDG is modifying their normal subframe mount, above, to match our two 2" receiver hitch mounts in our subframe. Stock photo. Our tire carrier will not attach to the TC box at all!

1685624688342.jpeg
DDG had another carrier in the works and to help get it to us a bit sooner they grabbed it and started the redesign process to fit our rig.

1685624795076.jpeg

CHEERS!!

StenchRV

Update from DDG. We spoke with Rueben, of DDG, at length yesterday and it looks like he will be able to ship the tire carrier to us in less than 2 weeks. GREAT NEWS! Rueben also sent an email with some CAD photos to ensure everything was correct before the final assembly begins.

The dark grey parts are aluminum and the blue grey parts are steel.
1685708767311.jpeg

1685708807655.jpeg

1685708828274.jpeg

1685708902608.jpeg
CLEAN! We will mount our traction boards on the rear wall and MAYBE a very small box. It will look SO MUCH better than the rear wall rack system we were designing. The tire lifting point was going to be worked into the upper part of the rack. NOT anymore! LOVE the fact the weight of the tire is at the subframe level!

THANK YOU DDG! We can not wait to see the tire carrier in person!

CHEERS!!

StenchRV

Thanks for continuing to raise the bar for the DIY......

What are you using for foam?
Thickness?
Density?
The wife looked up the details.

She ordered this in the 2" version for the seat cushions and then added 1" on each side of the HD36 ( below).
1686533143713.jpeg

1686533257786.jpeg

For the couch backs... 3" version of the HD36 foam. It turned out to be a bit firm so we are changing it to a slightly softer version. The LUX HQ (top) is a bit firm for the couch seats but should break in nicely and has a really good advertised life span.

PRO TIP..If you got to Sailrite.com they have a GREAT foam and fabric calculator!!!!

Thank you for the kind words! OCD can get you but our effort seems to be paying off!

CHEERS!!

StenchRV

BUSY BUSY...3.5 weeks until we depart...WEST and more WEST.

1687484197506.jpeg
A small increase in spring weight. 30% rate increase, but with more travel. This was always in the plan with the subframe design and build. The spring on the right is the get the empty box home spring.
1687484409085.jpeg
Off road time ready. Almost all the system needs are run and time for the Buskstop skid plates. The fit and installation was SMOOTH!

1687484488869.jpeg
A little help from a "friend" to install the steel!
1687484766578.jpeg
HOPEFULLY time will permit before we depart to improve the ride a little.

1687484843519.jpeg
The last sheets of bamboo plywood falls victim to the saw. NO ROOM FOR ERROR!
1687485087603.jpeg
DARN NEAR DONE!

1687485407786.jpeg
1687485948481.jpeg
We wanted a quick headboard for the upcoming trip....so a few hours later. A simple and CHEAP fix.
We can build something a bit nicer...later. AFTER we get to TRAVEL!!!!

1687486074522.jpeg
Getting Snowball out for an afternoon drive. NICE to leave the hanger!
1687486209847.jpeg

BACK TO WORK!! 3.5 weeks until we run away from home!

CHEERS!!

StenchRV

its probably not said enough, awesome work. Congrats on your super camper.
THANK YOU!!!! We want it done but we want it right...for us!
We are STOKED to run away from home! SOON!! VERY SOON!!
Thanks again for the motivating words!!!

ONWARD!!

CHEERS!!

StenchRV

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior