2022 RAM 5500 Composite "Super Camper"

StenchRV

Test complete. A longer FAKRA cable works.

I came up with an idea for the camera angle gauge utilizing an exterior and interior display, dry erase or blue tape, combined. That SHOULD help me set the angle. Think colored round target and measured distance from a set point on the truck. I will remove the camera from the grill before I reinstall it on the truck. Then I will work on mounting it to the Buck Stop bumper.

If I have to make a custom mount, probably machined aluminum, I will make 2.....just in case someone, @RAM5500 CAMPERTHING, needs one :)

I LIKE the way the grill turned out......chrome free :)

IMG_5818.jpeg

ITTOG

A picture is worth a 1000 words! All hand sanded with Scotchbrite....FUN! Will put it back together today. Protip...Grill parts are a PITA to remove.
Just have to work on the headlight chrome "fix". I know what you did....might go the replacement route.
View attachment 723752

View attachment 723753
Spend the money on the good stuff! $55 well spent.

CHEERS!!
Curious what the headlight chrome "fix" is.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

StenchRV

Curious what the headlight chrome "fix" is.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

I did not like the way the large chrome looked on the light. The interior chrome and brushed look I was ok with. Trying to save at least a few $$ during the build. If I hate it later I can change easily enough.

IMG_5823.jpeg
IMG_5828.jpeg

IMG_5842.jpeg

Cheers!!

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
I did not like the way the large chrome looked on the light. The interior chrome and brushed look I was ok with. Trying to save at least a few $$ during the build. If I hate it later I can change easily enough.

View attachment 724733
View attachment 724734

View attachment 724735

Cheers!!

The blacked out OEM LEDS from the “night edition” are a lot cheaper than you think.

I sold my stock chrome LEDs for almost as much as the black ones costs. Soooo

StenchRV

Progress. Before & After. MUCH BETTER. If the paint finish does not hold up I can always order the black replacement parts. Fingers crossed!
Interior lighting and fridge box. Fresh water tanks showed up this last week and shower pan on the way.
IMG_5796.jpeg
IMG_5841.jpeg

IMG_5838.jpeg

Will work on the forward camera relocation mount soon. Planning on moving it to the lower bar on the Buckstop bumper. Hopefully my plan will work!

I see the light!

IMG_5854.jpeg

Almost forgot.

AC UPDATE- I wound up not needing the longer plenum, (thick roof kit). I had about 3/16" of play left without stretching it. I ordered 1" longer bolts. The stock bolts only had about 3/16" of engagement into the AC.

CHEERS!!

StenchRV

The blacked out OEM LEDS from the “night edition” are a lot cheaper than you think.

I sold my stock chrome LEDs for almost as much as the black ones costs. Soooo

I did look at your thread and video again and I gave it some serious thought. I was kind of on a roll and had the paint anyway.
I still did not like the large chrome strip. I can't sell these now. Oh well! Live and learn!

At least I can sell the bumper!

Bumper lights next! It looks naked. I want to replace the stock fog lights with something similar, power wise, and not rewire that circuit. I ordered the bumper with the extra round , 4" hole, for that purpose. Then I can put an LP6 in the larger hole.

Last edited:

ITTOG

View attachment 724733
View attachment 724734

View attachment 724735

Cheers!!
Thanks for the follow-up. I agree the chrome is hideous. I have been working to black out my truck. I bought a film to put on my headlights. Has been in the garage since last summer. I need to get that done.

StenchRV

PS I think the painting worked well. It looks good.

Thanks. I hope it holds up. I did scratch a part putting it together, errant tool :-( it was an easy fix.
Like a few wise people have said before, replacement parts are reasonably priced so if down the road it starts to look bad it will get changed out.

ONWARD!

Alloy

Found the spin welding drivers. If it does any good I could email the (if I can find it) CAD file I used to make them.

20220601_154709[1].jpg

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
You sure a Baja LP6 will fit in the larger of the 2 lower foglight openings?? I think the XL-80 is a definite fit.

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
I want to replace the stock fog lights with something similar, power wise, and not rewire that circuit.

Weird quirk I found with the 5500 is that the fog light turns on in the direction you’re turning, regardless what position the switch is in. Meaning, if you make a right turn, the right fog will come on during that turn.

I didn’t even notice this until I upgraded my fogs to the Baja lights and was blinding folks.

I tried like hell to figure out how to shut it off, but no luck yet. And if you just disconnect then you get a weird error light

I know @Brad_UT was working on something to fix this. Maybe he will chime in

StenchRV

You sure a Baja LP6 will fit in the larger of the 2 lower foglight openings?? I think the XL-80 is a definite fit.

I thought about that right after I typed it, LOL. Seem to remember the LP6 being 7" and BIG!
Will look at the XL-80.

THANKS!

Last edited:

StenchRV

Weird quirk I found with the 5500 is that the fog light turns on in the direction you’re turning, regardless what position the switch is in. Meaning, if you make a right turn, the right fog will come on during that turn.

I didn’t even notice this until I upgraded my fogs to the Baja lights and was blinding folks.

I tried like hell to figure out how to shut it off, but no luck yet. And if you just disconnect then you get a weird error light

I know @Brad_UT was working on something to fix this. Maybe he will chime in

Ok, call me goofy....no hard feelings...but out here in the country I actually like that feature and want to keep it.
Sure is nice turning into my driveway!
SHOOT ME NOW...if you must!

I am on the hunt for a quality light that is only 10 or 15 watts. The factory fog light is 9 watts according to the unit itself. My thought was a low power very broad beam flood light. I can always angle the light opening or mount a smaller light to the angle part of the bumper. The only thing I worry about is the new light will be is about 6" higher, when the MPT's go on, than the old one. Really do not want to blind anyone :). I can always throw a decent Amazon light in there for a test.

I plan on later adding a row of LP6's to the bumper, like someone else I know has, but right now not really a priority.
I will have plenty of off road driving light when I am done :)

What Baja lights did you use in the 4" hole?

THANKS!!

Time to cut out some BIG windows!

CHEERS!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior