2022 RAM 5500 Composite "Super Camper"

StenchRV

Finally some time to catch up!

Got home from the "big" trip and needed to catch up on home life.....and get my hands looked at. A few injections, pills and an upcoming surgery hopefully will bring the hands back around. I pushed a little too hard to get Snowball finished before the trip and my already hard worked hands let me know the "limit" OH WELL....life.

FINALLY had time to take EVERYTHING out of the rig and get it weighed. We never had the chance to weigh empty before we departed on our 8000 mile journey, I weighed it full at a truck stop a few miles down the road from our house as we departed north , just to be safe. We did weigh the rig 4 other times during the build so I was pretty confident we would be just fine.

EMPTY except for me, 170 LBS, full fuel about 70 ish gallons and fuel DEF 8 gallons ISH. 6 gallons of water in the water heater.

1703091338788.jpeg

Here is the full weight ticket as we rolled out the door in late July. Myself, my wife, clothes for 2 different seasons, 100 gallons of water, full fuel 70 ish gallons, def, spare parts, LOTS of tools, camping gear, good amount of food, extra wine, beer and bourbon :)

1703092066454.jpeg
Plenty of margin with the 19,500 LB GVWR. I am not sure we could make max weight unless we built something else onto the rig.
The interior storage space was about 2/3rds full.

A lot of "stuff" fits into the outside boxes!
The plywood and the black maxx traxx did not go with us. Still need to make an exterior aluminum mount for the Maxx Traxx.
We had a compact set of traction boards :)
1703092219043.jpeg

Getting some small "upgrades" done on the rig this month. The list was very small after our long trip.
Also knocking out the second oil change and 3rd tire rotation, getting ready for a Christmas run to Little Rock.

CHEERS!!

Vance Vanz

Finally some time to catch up!

Got home from the "big" trip and needed to catch up on home life.....and get my hands looked at. A few injections, pills and an upcoming surgery hopefully will bring the hands back around. I pushed a little too hard to get Snowball finished before the trip and my already hard worked hands let me know the "limit" OH WELL....life.

FINALLY had time to take EVERYTHING out of the rig and get it weighed. We never had the chance to weigh empty before we departed on our 8000 mile journey, I weighed it full at a truck stop a few miles down the road from our house as we departed north , just to be safe. We did weigh the rig 4 other times during the build so I was pretty confident we would be just fine.

EMPTY except for me, 170 LBS, full fuel about 70 ish gallons and fuel DEF 8 gallons ISH. 6 gallons of water in the water heater.

View attachment 811337

Here is the full weight ticket as we rolled out the door in late July. Myself, my wife, clothes for 2 different seasons, 100 gallons of water, full fuel 70 ish gallons, def, spare parts, LOTS of tools, camping gear, good amount of food, extra wine, beer and bourbon :)

View attachment 811339
Plenty of margin with the 19,500 LB GVWR. I am not sure we could make max weight unless we built something else onto the rig.
The interior storage space was about 2/3rds full.

A lot of "stuff" fits into the outside boxes!
The plywood and the black maxx traxx did not go with us. Still need to make an exterior aluminum mount for the Maxx Traxx.
We had a compact set of traction boards :)
View attachment 811340

Getting some small "upgrades" done on the rig this month. The list was very small after our long trip.
Also knocking out the second oil change and 3rd tire rotation, getting ready for a Christmas run to Little Rock.

CHEERS!!
Thanks for the weight info Craig. I can't wait to see which one of ours beasts is slimmer 😁.

I'm sorry to hear about your hands; I know you had previously mentioned them. I hope everything goes smooth with the surgery. If you need somebody to pick your nose, just give me a ring 😆.

Brad_UT

Craig,

Here are some pics of the antenna mounts and ground straps we were talking about.
IMG_1129.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_1127.JPG
    IMG_1127.JPG
    133.5 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_1128.JPG
    IMG_1128.JPG
    146.4 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_1130.JPG
    IMG_1130.JPG
    191.8 KB · Views: 25

StenchRV

Communication radios- We wanted a compact unit preferably hidden away. We saw this unit, Midland MXT575, on a Jeep we meet while on our long west trip. We decided to upgrade the stock antenna, hopefully for better range.

THANK YOU Brad, see above, for the antenna mount link! :)
We decided on stainless steel and with some minor tweaking it fit perfect.

1706888102925.jpeg

1706888149278.jpeg

1706888189704.jpeg

1706888224345.jpeg

1706888254797.jpeg

CHEERS!!

UglyViking

Looks good. I know in the 2/3500s there is normally a jack and funnel under the pass seat. I take it that stuff wasn't there for the 5500 or did you just strip it?

StenchRV

Looks good. I know in the 2/3500s there is normally a jack and funnel under the pass seat. I take it that stuff wasn't there for the 5500 or did you just strip it?
Does not exist for the 5500. I carry a 20 ton jack, and impact sockets, under the drivers seat :)
Considering my rear axle weighs in at 11,000 LBS loaded...figure the jack is my responsibility! LOL!!

StenchRV

What a shock! :)

Finally had time between trips to rotate the tires and install the rear shocks.
1710681792747.jpeg

During the tire rotation I found a small slice on a rear tire. I think it happened on the last trip, not sure how.
Sent a picture to my tire rep and he said do not install on the steer, that is where the 1/2 worn tire was going. We decided to purchase 1 new tire, grab the new spare and have 2 new rear tires. Better safe than sorry. The fronts are only 1/3 worn after about 12500 miles. The rears will catch up as they were worn about 50% after the same 12500 miles. We rotate about every 5000 miles.

1710682161659.jpeg

Back to the grind....CHEERS!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles