2022 Overland Expo West recommendations for first time attendee

TheDesertRat

Desert Nomad
Did a search on Overland Expo West in the forums and I did see another thread posted back in 2019 asking this same question. I read the great replies but hoping perhaps some folks can chime in on their more recent experiences last year. I purchased the VIP Weekend Pass with camping so I will be setting up in my RTT at the county camp ground adjacent to the event. Love to hear reviews on the camp site, vendor experience, advice on food/bathing/toilets/equipment, etc. If there is a better forum for this, I can move it.

I will be winding my way down through Nevada with a few stops along the way so I will be set up for remote camping.

We did our first time last year, here are some of my recommendations. Arrive early on opening day, the entry line gets really long and can take hours. The gate guards (the people standing in road directing you) have no clue about where to send you. We were given about 5 different sets of instructions on where we should be going (we had VIP camping also, don't remember if it was top tier or second from top) We finally got to camping spot. pick you spot carefully if you are planning on moving in/out the place fills up and there are not set campsites, make sure you have a path out. There are port-o-johns located through out so no problems. If you are military check out the military camp ground next door for cheaper camping and showers. Bring lots of $$$$ for the vendors. If you have kids they have a bunch of programs to keep them interested (checkout the ropes course at camp ground my son loved it) We didn't shower and brought food and cooked in skottle. We had a couple of meals at the food vendors. I signed up for a couple of driving courses but cancelled them due to just wanting to walk around and check stuff out. it is overwhelming the amount of stuff thats there

TheDesertRat

Desert Nomad
We did our first time last year, here are some of my recommendations.

Excellent advice. I am coming solo with a RTT on top of my F150. I plan on bringing a small portable shower tent. Can you slide on over to the military campground and pay for a shower? I had assumed that upon checking into the campground they would put the large RV's in one area, the vehicle campers in another, and the tents separate. Perhaps they do but you choose your site once in your designated area? I chose the VIP area so I wouldn't have to hoof it too far to the vendors, which is my primary purpose for the trip. I am in the planning stages of replacing my F150 with RTT with a more comfortable alternative over the next couple of years so vendor perusing is my main activity. I will make sure I get there early on Thursday to check in. I will be bringing food but am open to eating at the vendors as well.

Ace Brown

Retired Ol’ Fart
Here’s a few tidbits of advice. There is essentially no shade in the vendor area. Bring a good wide brim hat. If your a “paleface” I’d go with long sleeves and pants too. If you wear sandals watch the tops of your feet.

If you plan on buying lots of stuff (most do) think about how you might carry it. One of those folding shopping carts would be very handy

Using a mountain bike to get around is good advice until you need to carry stuff to your camp.

If you wait to buy Sunday afternoon you will find discounts but less available.

Ace

TheDesertRat

Desert Nomad
Here’s a few tidbits of advice.

Ace

Good stuff. I think I'll bring a backpack to wear around the vendor area. A drink inside and space for purchases. Fortunately, I am camping relatively close to the vendor area so I can trek back to the rig if needed. How about checking in for camping? It opens on Thursday at 11. Is there going to be a large line at that time already?

Ace Brown

Retired Ol’ Fart
Good stuff. I think I'll bring a backpack to wear around the vendor area. A drink inside and space for purchases. Fortunately, I am camping relatively close to the vendor area so I can trek back to the rig if needed. How about checking in for camping? It opens on Thursday at 11. Is there going to be a large line at that time already?

I’ve not camped there so can’t answer that. But in general there are long lines at everything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

carleton

The military campground is happy to accommodate anyone with a DOD ID giving them MWR privileges.
If that applies to you, then you can pay for a shower pass.

They also have beer (draft & take-away)/wine, convenience items, and a coffee bar.

Again, only if you have a current DoD ID, otherwise you will be asked to leave the property immediately.

BritKLR

Kapitis Indagatoris
FWIW......Been attending since 2014 as an attendee, presenter and vendor. I actually really enjoy these things but, have observed/learned a few things.

1) Be patient. As it starts to get rolling there will be a ton of people. Lines will get long. Food/drinks stands can be expensive and will get crowded and potentially run out. Be prepared with your own grub and drinks.
2) Explore and be friendly. If you've ever been to a major sporting event (have to park miles away, pass all the tailgators, pay $27.00 for a beer and hotdog and have fans from all over the world....) Then thats what to expect at an OE.
3) Weather. Check the weather. prepare for the weather. Don't believe the weather.........We've been through snow, rain, hurricane winds, tornado warnings and hail.......all, with a weather forecast for sun.
4) Take advantage of the free evening events. Many have free food, drinks and music not to mention interesting people from around the world. So, get out of your comfort zone, put on that khaki shirt, shorts and pith helmet and make some new friends.
5) As a Vendor just a friendly reminder, were all not Walmarts with unlimited inventory in the back of the store. Many have driven across the country to display and sell their limited goods. If you see something, you might consider buying it (again, not to be self serving) because due to the limited inventory it most likely will be gone when you return later for it. ( also, watch out for the BS knock-off gear). Also, remember many Vendors are there to educate you and answer your questions on their product and may not have any inventory to sell.
6) Dogs and kids are welcomed. Keep both close and under control. Nothing worse then a panicky parent looking for their lost dog or a child biting another child......
7) Bikes, e- bikes, mopeds, mini bikes, monkey bikes, motorcycles, scooters, etc. all seemed to have there place and purpose in and around the event. BUT, slow the heck down, look both ways, use common courtesy and common sense in a crowd of 20,000 people. Nothing worse then seeing an e-biker t-bone crowd of people at one of the major intersections.
8) And, just like your Scout Leader yelled at you...water, water and more water. And, your mom....sunscreen, sunscreen and more sunscreen. Flagstaff is pretty close to the sun so it can be sunny, dry and hot.

Cheers and see you there!

Last edited:

mep1811

Gentleman Adventurer
FWIW......Been attending since 2014 as an attendee, presenter and vendor. I actually really enjoy these things but, have observed/learned a few things.

1) Be patient. As it starts to get rolling there will be a ton of people. Lines will get long. Food/drinks stands can be expensive and will get crowded and potentially run out. Be prepared with your own grub and drinks.
2) Explore and be friendly. If you've ever been to a major sporting event (have to park miles away, pass all the tailgators, pay $27.00 for a beer and hotdog and have fans from all over the world....) Then thats what to expect at an OE.
3) Weather. Check the weather. prepare for the weather. Don't believe the weather.........We've been through snow, rain, hurricane winds, tornado warnings and hail.......all, with a weather forecast for sun.
4) Take advantage of the free evening events. Many have free food, drinks and music not to mention interesting people from around the world. So, get out of your comfort zone, put on that khaki shirt, shorts and pith helmet and make some new friends.
5) As a Vendor just a friendly reminder, were all not Walmarts with unlimited inventory in the back of the store. Many have driven across the country to display and sell their limited goods. If you see something, you might consider buying it (again, not to be self serving) because due to the limited inventory it most likely will be gone when you return later for it. ( also, watch out for the BS knock-off gear). Also, remember many Vendors are there to educate you and answer your questions on their product and may not have any inventory to sell.
6) Dogs and kids are welcomed. Keep both close and under control. Nothing worse then a panicky parent looking for their lost dog or a child biting another child......
7) Bikes, e- bikes, mopeds, mini bikes, monkey bikes, motorcycles, scooters, etc. all seemed to have there place and purpose in and around the event. BUT, slow the heck down, look both ways, use common courtesy and common sense in a crowd of 20,000 people. Nothing worse then seeing an e-biker t-bone crowd of people at one of the major intersections.
8) And, just like your Scout Leader yelled at you...water, water and more water. And, your mom....sunscreen, sunscreen and more sunscreen. Flagstaff is pretty close to the sun so it can be sunny, dry and hot.

Cheers and see you there!

If you see something you like/want buy it before someone else does. A minute's hesitation will cost you the item. From my experience, there are very few real "bargains" on Sunday.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier