2022 Nissan Frontier unveiled

D

Deleted member 9101

If they run at higher temps then they need less radiator, not more. If the engine is more efficient it also needs less radiator.

Crash standards have nothing to do with hood height.

BTW, since this is the Frontier thread, they are using the exact same motor they used last year, so I don't think they needed a taller hood to accommodate it. It's all style, man!

Lol... I don't think you realize exactly how much heat a modern engine is capable of producing and how fast it makes it. Part of the reason modern engines make the power that they do with lower emissions is their ability to very efficiently and safely regulate their temperature, part of that is having a large radiator. The radiator on my 2500 w/6.0 at work dwarfs the radiator in my buddies F350 w/460. Hell, the radiator in front of the 2.7 in my F150 is larger than the ones put in front of V8 powered trucks a few years ago.

Crash test standards have a lot to do with hood height, especailly in body on frame designs.

rruff

Explorer
Lol... I don't think you realize exactly how much heat a modern engine is capable of producing and how fast it makes it.

It's pretty simple physics. If the radiator temperature is higher, then it rejects heat more efficiently (smaller size needed). If the engine is more efficient then it produces less heat as a % of its power output. Your 2.7 *should* have about as big a radiator as a modern V8 because it has similar power output, but there is no way these tall hoods are necessitated by the engines.

If a 400hp truck needs a massive grill like the GM I posted earlier, then this 1200hp car should have a grill at least 10ft tall!

2019-chevy-corvette-zr1-hpe1200-by-hennessey.jpg

D

Deleted member 9101

If a 400hp truck needs a massive grill like the GM I posted earlier, then this 1200hp car should have a grill at least 10ft tall!

2019-chevy-corvette-zr1-hpe1200-by-hennessey.jpg

Is that car pulling 10k up a mountain pass for miles on end at 80mph with 1k in the bed? Thats what a modern full sized truck is designed to do.

Also...that car has a very efficient cooling system and the radiator is sitting at an angle, if it sat vertically it would poke through the hood. If they did the same thing to a truck radiator.... Your front end would be at least a foot longer....then you'd say. "Thses hoods are far to long... It's all for looks... Nobody needs a radiator that sits at an angle...real radiators sit vertically.." ... Haha.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 9101

It's pretty simple physics. If the radiator temperature is higher, then it rejects heat more efficiently (smaller size needed). If the engine is more efficient then it produces less heat as a % of its power output. Your 2.7 *should* have about as big a radiator as a modern V8 because it has similar power output, but there is no way these tall hoods are necessitated by the engines.

Well man, like I said, every bit of grill in my F150 and 2500 are needed for air flow for the radiator. If you don't believe me, you are more than welcome to buy your own and make a smaller grill and install a smaller radiator and test your theory. I'm willing to bet that you won't like the results.

Personally, I like the idea of not having to worry about over heating while running a truck hard. My F150 can go from 205° to 230° quickly when I'm towing, thanks to a large radiator it can also cool its self back down just as quickly. My 2500 doesn't care, it holds the same temp reguardless of whats going on....and for an emergency vehicle that's a big plus.

While I do agree than some trucks looks like the grill is more form than function, the big radiators are necessary.... Unless you want to go back to the days of overheating and crawling up mountains at 20mph?

docwatson

Adventurer
I do see a lot of Tacoma in the profile of this Frontier. Good or bad, not sure I see any really design connection between the previous generation Frontier and this one. The 2022 Pathfinder seems to do a better job connecting historical "design lineage." I know some are design agnostic, function over form, etc. Just an observation.

Grassland

Oh did the 2022 pathfinder go back to looking rugged? The soft looking FWD version that replaced the previous boxy design was hideous.

The long box frontier is pretty darn long. I think it said 139 inch wheelbase in the article.
I think new truck looks decent even tho it's combining looks from several other competitors. The new engine and transmission was needed, and the numbers are competitive for segment.

docwatson

Adventurer
Oh did the 2022 pathfinder go back to looking rugged? The soft looking FWD version that replaced the previous boxy design was hideous.
I don't know that it's much more rugged. Still unibody, FWD but they did ditch the CVT for a 9 speed. I haven't seen any real numbers for the Pathfinder as to whether it will have any modicum of offroad chops. I meant more some of the angles and design pieces reflect a connection.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper

The long box frontier is pretty darn long. I think it said 139 inch wheelbase in the article.
I think new truck looks decent even tho it's combining looks from several other competitors. The new engine and transmission was needed, and the numbers are competitive for segment.
It's still a minivan.

Watt maker

I kind of like it. Looks better than the current Frontier. I see styling similarities with the Tacoma, f150 and titan. I like the simple, functional dash but I think I prefer the Tacoma dash a little more. Haven’t driven one of these 3.8/ 9-speed combos yet but it can’t be as bad as the 3.5/automatic in the Tacoma. Definitely like that grey color! We have quite a few of the current gen frontiers in our company fleet. The fleet mechanics like them better than the colorados we also have. Did Nissan ever fix/prevent the pink milkshake problem with the transmission? That problem happened twice with my sister-in-law’s 2008 pathfinder.

JDaPP

Adventurer
I kind of like it. Looks better than the current Frontier. I see styling similarities with the Tacoma, f150 and titan. I like the simple, functional dash but I think I prefer the Tacoma dash a little more. Haven’t driven one of these 3.8/ 9-speed combos yet but it can’t be as bad as the 3.5/automatic in the Tacoma. Definitely like that grey color! We have quite a few of the current gen frontiers in our company fleet. The fleet mechanics like them better than the colorados we also have. Did Nissan ever fix/prevent the pink milkshake problem with the transmission? That problem happened twice with my sister-in-law’s 2008 pathfinder.
Yeah they did a TSB and 2011 and later were redesigned so that it wad no longer a problem.

RoyJ

Adventurer
Well man, like I said, every bit of grill in my F150 and 2500 are needed for air flow for the radiator. If you don't believe me, you are more than welcome to buy your own and make a smaller grill and install a smaller radiator and test your theory. I'm willing to bet that you won't like the results.

Personally, I like the idea of not having to worry about over heating while running a truck hard. My F150 can go from 205° to 230° quickly when I'm towing, thanks to a large radiator it can also cool its self back down just as quickly. My 2500 doesn't care, it holds the same temp reguardless of whats going on....and for an emergency vehicle that's a big plus.

While I do agree than some trucks looks like the grill is more form than function, the big radiators are necessary.... Unless you want to go back to the days of overheating and crawling up mountains at 20mph?

Looks can be deceiving, let's look at radiator core size on Rockauto.

2017 F150 EB2.7: https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=8612720&cc=3436061&jsn=1363

34.75" x 17 11/16"

1999 Dodge V10: https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=3760326&cc=1354205&jsn=1539

36" x 19 7/16"

2007 Chevy 2500 Duramax LBZ: https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=3759306&cc=1438268&jsn=1797

33 15/16" x 23 5/16"

The old trucks had bigger radiator with smaller grille area / hood height. The new 6.6 Chevy does have a wider rad than the Duramax LBZ, but exactly the same height. Therefore no reason for the hoodline to be higher, except for aesthetics.

Even the Powerstroke 6.0, which ran a super tall 30-inch radiator, has a lower hoodline than the Chevy 6.6 with 23-inch tall rad.

RoyJ

Adventurer
Yep.... It almost touches the hood.....why you ask....because the intercooler sits underneath it. It can't be any lower.

So I wonder if they designed a tall hood, and said "might as well stack the intercooler underneath". Or did they design the intercooler placement and then the tall hood to accommodate it?

The LBZ Duramax and PS 6.0 both have much larger intercoolers than an EB, yet had no issues stacking it in front of the rad.

Then there's the Chevys - powertrain did not change from previous gen. We all know why, for years GMs were "criticized" for being he shortest, so now it's the tallest...

D

Deleted member 9101

So I wonder if they designed a tall hood, and said "might as well stack the intercooler underneath". Or did they design the intercooler placement and then the tall hood to accommodate it?

I honestly have no clue. I like the set up though, neither teansfers heat or blocks the other one.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles