2022 Land Cruiser 300 series

BigSwede

The Credible Hulk
With Grenadier and Defender it will be fantastic to have two mid-sized, one-tonish touring wagons available in the U.S. market. Hopefully Land Cruiser makes a third. It's been decades since we've had even one.
I hope the Grenadier happens... I have my doubts.

Omar RVA

If it wasn't $90K, I'd order one of the last HE's - in Silver please :D

I’ve been doing research and it seems dealers are adding market adjustment at this point to their 200s in inventory. I have a feeling these will be treated like FJ Cruisers in their final years and beyond. More so than they are now.

OA

RND1

Observer
I’ve been doing research and it seems dealers are adding market adjustment at this point to their 200s in inventory. I have a feeling these will be treated like FJ Cruisers in their final years and beyond. More so than they are now.

OA

Yes, I'm sure that will be the case. The largest volume LC dealer in the US is Ed Martin Toyota in Indiana where their GM is a regular contributor over on IH8MUD. He was advertising a while ago that he could get anyone a 2020 LC for $80K. Not HE. They are currently offering $5K off msrp for 2021's in stock.

Tex68w

Beach Bum
Yea the standard around here is $78-79K sale price on most new LC's after discounts. I bet with the last of 2021 production ending in March we start to see an uptick on the sales price and a reduction in discounts as the last ones linger on dealer lots. So torn now as we were considering picking one up next summer but now I have my doubts and might consider holding off for something else.

jkam

nomadic man
I'll take a new 79 series from Australia.
Still available with some modern conveniences.
V8 Turbo diesel, 5 speed manual or 6 speed automatic.
Earthcruiser came out with a nice setup for one.
It could very well be the last vehicle I'd ever have to buy.

ChasingOurTrunks

From @Todd n Natalie’s article; this is interesting. Sounds like something off road-ey is in the cards but they aren’t ready to share anything yet. I suspect they’d use different language if they had no plans to do something in this space.

UPDATE 12/24/20: Toyota's issued a statement affirming that 2021 is the final year for the Land Cruiser as we know it. It reads, "The Toyota Land Cruiser has been a legendary name for more than 60 years. While it will be discontinued in the United States after the 2021 model year, we remain committed to the large SUV segment and will continue to explore future products that celebrate the Land Cruiser’s rich off-road history. We encourage loyal enthusiasts and intrepid adventurers to stay tuned for future developments."

T-Willy

From @Todd n Natalie’s article; this is interesting. Sounds like something off road-ey is in the cards but they aren’t ready to share anything yet. I suspect they’d use different language if they had no plans to do something in this space.

The call to "loyal enthusiasts and intrepid adventurers" is encouraging, though Toyota's bungling of Land Cruiser in the U.S. market gives me doubts. I fear a low payload weekender to compete with Bronco and Jeep - not a tourer. That 79 camper above sure is beautiful. I'd buy one.

toylandcruiser

Expedition Leader
Retaining the current chassis would distinguish Land Cruiser from other Toyota trucks and SUVs which, to my understanding, will share a new platform. For purposes of distinguishing Land Cruiser for its robustness and durability, this would make sense.

Despite its robust mechanicals, the 200 in both forms (luxury, and extreme luxury) is a marketing failure. Neither Toyota nor Lexus have moved more than 5000 units in the U.S. market in years.

Returning to Land Cruiser's heritage of straightforward capability, reliability and durability makes a lot of sense.

That’s actually not true. The number of land cruiser sales hasn’t changed in decades. It’s already been a low number vehicle

T-Willy

That’s actually not true. The number of land cruiser sales hasn’t changed in decades. It’s already been a low number vehicle

What specifically isn't true?

While Land Cruiser has always seen relatively low annual sales, advent of the 200 series corresponds to the longest stretch of lowest annual U.S. sales in three decades. Land Cruiser hasn't sold more than 5000 units in the U.S. since the mid-2000s. Prior to that some years saw twice or thrice that, with most years well above the 5000 mark.

Here's a chart of annual U.S. Land Cruiser sales since introduction of the 80 series:

chart.png

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne