2022 Ford Ranger

Chorky

Observer
I saw somewhere that the length is increasing by an inch, but more importantlhy the width increases by 4?? so. Its not really a midsize / compact any longer. Seems like its

85_Ranger4x4

Here's my 13th gen vs. my Dad's 10th gen. Keep in mind, mine has Fox suspension and 34's. It was much lower prior to those modifications. The 10th gen (5.4L Triton) has stock size (small!) tires.

Say what you want about the size (I said the same when the 2004's came out), but my truck is bigger, stronger, significantly faster and 25% more fuel efficient. With the backup camera and proximity sensors, it’s easier to park than my Dad’s truck, which I drove for 8 weeks this summer.

IMG_0107 by Douglas Bunge II, on Flickr

Yeah, I have been saying that since 2004 and I haven't changed my tune yet. I have had my '02 since 2005 and it is very unlikely it will get traded in on another F-150.

If I have to get a big bulky truck I figure I might as well blow the extra grand and get a 3/4 ton to get the beef to go with it.

My FIL's '13 KR feels like an oil tanker to my '02... just not really my thing but a guy can't get away from bulk anymore when it comes to a fullsize.

Bigger and bolder than anyone has bigger and bolded before for whatever reason lol.

The 99-11s had a really shallow bed. And the 08-11 were a bit lower from factory due to shallow blocks and different torsion bar settings.
The bed was narrow and short. The cab even in SCAB form was a 2 person and gear cab, not sit 4. The RWD/4WD drivetrain was really the only sell, outside of looks. They really sucked on gas with the 4.slow as well. But I guess they were narrow enough to fit in tight trails. I did enjoy rolling down my manual passenger window while buckled in to the driver seat. I can't reach the passenger door on my F150

They all had the same bed depth, the inner bed skins on a 11 were still stamped for dual tanks which were not available after 1988. 93-11 beds were directly interchangeable with only tail lamp design (same opening/mounting) and tailgate badging differences. 83-11 will interchange but they look really goofy crossing the 92-93 threshold.

rangerstepside-jpg.232064

The shallow bed is nice, I call it a perk of the taco and Gladiator since they are the last ones to chase the cheesy "volume" game. So much easier to get stuff out of the back of the truck.

Older Ranger beds are not that terribly narrow or short, options were 6' or 7', my '85 is 7' which is longer than 90% of fullsize truck beds anymore (my F-150 included) The longest bed you can get on a 19+ is 6' (supercab). If you get a supercrew you can get any length bed you want as long as you want 5'.

Last edited:

Chorky

Observer
The shallow bed is nice, I call it a perk of the taco and Gladiator since they are the last ones to chase the cheesy "volume" game. So much easier to get stuff out of the back of the truck.

Older Ranger beds are not that terribly narrow or short, options were 6' or 7', my '85 is 7' which is longer than 90% of fullsize truck beds anymore (my F-150 included) The longest bed you can get on a 19+ is 6' (supercab). If you get a supercrew you can get any length bed you want as long as you want 5'.

I do miss those short bed sides and the 7' beds. at least the ranger extended cab offers a 6'. I dont understand why anyone wants a 5' bed. Mine as well get a SUV....But that's just my opinion. Tacomas short bed sides are really nice. However, I just dont like the rest of the truck and the seating position isn't comfortable IMO.

Buddha.

Finally in expo white.
I do miss those short bed sides and the 7' beds. at least the ranger extended cab offers a 6'. I dont understand why anyone wants a 5' bed. Mine as well get a SUV....But that's just my opinion. Tacomas short bed sides are really nice. However, I just dont like the rest of the truck and the seating position isn't comfortable IMO.
If I could buy an suv the size of my ranger that could tow 7500# and didn’t cost 45k with three rows of seats and 73 cup holders…

TwinStick

Explorer
I still am in disbelief that Ford doesn't offer a pickup truck, fullsized or not, with locking rear and front differentials. Dodge has the Power Wagon, Chevrolet has the Colorado ZR2 & now the fullsized 1500 ZR2. I think they are missing out on market share.

Once you have a 4x4 pickup with lockers, you won't want to go back. They certainly are not the be all end all, because anything can get stuck. But lockers have definitely helped me get out of a few situations that I would not have gotten out of without them.

skrypj

I still am in disbelief that Ford doesn't offer a pickup truck, fullsized or not, with locking rear and front differentials. Dodge has the Power Wagon, Chevrolet has the Colorado ZR2 & now the fullsized 1500 ZR2. I think they are missing out on market share.

Once you have a 4x4 pickup with lockers, you won't want to go back. They certainly are not the be all end all, because anything can get stuck. But lockers have definitely helped me get out of a few situations that I would not have gotten out of without them.

The F150 Tremor and Raptor have helical LSD’s in the front and the Superduty Tremor has some kind of LSD, not sure it is helical.

Id much rather the Helical LSD with the F150’s 4Auto t-case.

TwinStick

Explorer
The F150 Tremor and Raptor have helical LSD’s in the front and the Superduty Tremor has some kind of LSD, not sure it is helical.

Id much rather the Helical LSD with the F150’s 4Auto t-case.

Yes, but they are not lockers. It's like saying you won the lottery ----- almost. Lol The Bronco has lockers, so it's not like it's brand new to Ford. They should put them in their pickup line as an option. Lockers are worth their weight in gold when you need them. Just saying. I do understand why manufacturers are reluctant about lockers, common sense isn't so common anymore & people do foolish things. I just think that a Ranger with lockers would be awesome.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz