2022 Ford F550 - DIY - Adventure Expedition Vehicle Build Thread

Vance Vanz

Introduction:
Hi All,

I figured it was time to pull the trigger and get this build posted now that the process is far enough along where you can actually see some visual progress. I will be posting quite a bit initially to get things caught up to where I am currently at in the build process. It is crazy how long the conceptualization, design, engineering and planning process takes on one of these custom-built, modern-moving-4x4-tiny-homes.

I first want to start by thanking everyone that has a build thread on the Portal and to all of those that contribute their knowledge and experience on the Forum. I think I have read just about every significant build thread on the Portal, maybe even multiple times. In addition, everyone that I have personally reached out to with questions has been very responsive and helpful. Thanks so much for your time, effort and candor. Hopefully my journey throughout this process will provide some knowledge and inspiration for others who decide to climb a similar mountain.

As well as documenting the build process of the rig itself, I have also decided to include a humanness section, or better stated, sanity check-in. It’s going to be a bit of a marathon to complete this thing and while it is kicking my @$S at times, I thought it would be good to let others know how it is impacting me mentally, emotionally, relationally, etc. It’s one aspect that is in the background of many of the build threads, but not really explicitly acknowledged, normalized or validated. Feel free to breeze by them if it is not your cup of tea.

Here we go ……………

Vance Vanz

How We/I Got Here:

The need for an adventure vehicle came about by wanting to travel all of: Alaska, British Columbia, the West Coast of the U.S., Mexico, Central America and South America, in one shot. Basically, the typical Pan Am trip, top to Bottom. Since this was going to be primarily an outdoor adventure trip, we needed something to carry all of our gear for: mountain biking, trail running, hiking, backpacking, climbing, mountaineering, snorkeling/free diving and surfing.

We had a custom off-grid 4x4 campervan built. We just managed to squeeze all of our gear and belongings in it, although we were a teensy bit overweight. We headed off for BC in May/June 2020, but COVID shut that down pretty quick, so Canada and Alaska were off the list until a later date. We decided to spend the summer traveling all of the West Coast of the U.S. I’ll spare you all the details, but our campervan was basically a lemon. After many months of issues, we got rid of it. COVID was also in prime time, so we had to pause the trip and re-evaluate what new adventure vehicle we would buy or build. Since I was originally going to build the first campervan, but couldn’t do to the demands of running a business and life at the time, building our own now became an option.

After realizing we could not get a true 4x4 conversion on a new 2020/2021 model van, nor in any new van/campervan that was large enough for what we needed, I had to look at alternative options. The next step up, without completely breaking the bank, was a full-size truck with a custom camper. The closest thing we found that could maybe work for our needs was an Earth Roamer, but they would not alter their set floor plans to incorporate a custom indoor MTB locker, nor build one with a Ford F550 running on petrol instead of diesel. Also, they were a teensy-weensy bit more than we would like to spend on an expedition vehicle.

So, it was decided. Basically, build an Earth Roamer-ish overlander yourself with an indoor MTB storage locker on a Ford F550 that runs on gas instead of diesel. Also, slap a surfboard rack on the top, maybe a custom one that locks! Easy peasy, RIGHT!

To complete the remaining portions of the original itinerary (Alaska, British Columbia, Mexico, Central America and South America) I will be traveling in the beast full time for about two years. The departure date should be around October of 2022 if all goes well.

Maybe too soon, but my first humanness check-in. 5 months of non-stop issues with the new camper while on the road, COVID closures left and right- including ALL State/Federal Parks, getting COVID, forest fires all throughout the West Coast, having to stop a trip of a life time just five months into it after closing my business and basically liquidating everything we owned, temporarily reintegrating and re-establishing our personal and professional lives for a year just to eventually take off again for the trip, and my partner and I breaking up, has taken a toll. It has been a roller coaster, one may say a :poop: show.

Now the WE build and WE trip is an I build and I trip. This is not how I planned it, at all. After all of this, and a break up on top of it, I had to dig deep and determine if the trip was something I would want to do solo. Although not preferred, the answer was yes. I've traveled solo around the world plenty, but this trip was supposed to be with a partner, seeing the world with someone special, seeing the world with your life partner. Although a part of me is excited and stoked for the trip, there is also another part that is hollow and sad at times. Building something like this for you and your partner to share is way different than just building it for yourself. I think this is one of the hardest things I am now having to shift mentally and emotionally within myself.

I feel for others who have had their trip(s) and/or dream(s), paused, postponed, or canceled all together. My heart goes out to you!

Last edited:

Vance Vanz

Build Specs:

Truck:
2022 Ford F550 Crew Cab, 4x4, Cab Chassis​
Lariat package (Fully Loaded)​
7.3L V8 gas engine​
10 speed automatic transmission​
19,500 GVWR package​
Extra heavy service suspension package (For the front)​
4.88 limited slip axel​
397A dual alternators​

Single Rear Wheel Conversion & Suspension:
DBL suspension package (2.5” lift)​
DBL Gen 2 Baja front fenders​
Hutchison 20x10 Aluminum beadlock wheels​
Continental 335 80 R 20 Tires​

Subframe:
Custom 3 Point Torsion free​
1 rear pivot, 2 fixed front mounts​

Bumpers:
Factory front with hidden winch mount
Custom rear with: winch mount, trailer towing receiver, spare tire holder, electric steps for MTB locker

Winches Recovery:
2 - Warn 16.5TI-S​
(Or equivalent since Warn is having some sort of issue with this model-will be out of stock for over a year)​

On Board Air:
ARB Twin​

Auxiliary Gas Tank:
Custom 50-55 Gallon (Total of 90-95 gallons)​

Camper Shell (Cab Over):
Custom Carbon Fiber​

Doors, Windows, Skylight/Roof Hatch:
Tern Overland​

Pass Through:
Custom Lockable (roughly 18.5” wide x 34” High)​

Entry Steps:
Kwikee Electric​

Awning:
Fiama F45 Eagle​

Power & Solar System:
Nations 270A auxiliary alternator​
Wakespeed WS500 alternator regulator​
810Ah Lithium Battery Bank (3 – 270Ah Battleborn Batteries)​
Victron 3000W Inverter/Charger (For 120V 60Hz)​
Sterling 60A Pro Chargers x 2 (For 230V 50Hz)​
Victron: Smart Battery Protect & Battery Monitor​
Victron Solar Controllers (2 each – 100V 50A & 100V 30A)​
2150 Watts Solar (10 – 215W panels)​

A/C & Vent Fan:
Mabru 12V 12,000BTUH A/C​
Maxfann deluxe vent fan​

Heating & Hot Water
Rixen hydronic heat and hot water system​
With free heat system from coolant loop​

Water Capacities:
100 gallons fresh​
30 gallons grey​

Water Filter:
3 stage with UV light filter​

Toilet:
Airhead composting​

Appliances:
Stove - True Induction – Mini Duo
Refrigerator/Freezer - Isotherm Cruise 200 Stainless
Combo Convection/Microwave Oven
Espresso Machine - Mini Nespresso (Love me some espresso in the morning ?)

Last edited:

Vance Vanz

SRW Conversion & Suspension:

Wah Lah, Conversion & Suspension complete, for now.

Sorry these are not sparkly clean glam shots of the truck after the conversion. Polished pics will come later.

This was the first time I had a chance to snap some quick pics of the truck. It was a whirlwind of a trip to Texas to pick up the truck. I was a day behind getting out of TX and had to drive an all nighter to CO in order to clear out a storage unit before continuing on to ID. CO also had a freak East Coast ice storm for 2 days. Of course this would happen on the day I needed to install a trailer hitch on the truck in the storage unit parking lot, pick up the trailer and load everything in it.

The beautiful art work on the back of the truck cab you ask...... A supply house in TX that I ordered temporary fenders from screwed up the order. Since nothing else was in stock and I was pressed for time, double card board, masking tape and a little extra duct tape with a cherry on top was it to protect the back window.

A shout out to my buddy Clayton in CO for saving my butt and helping me get a few holes drilled in the frame and lighting hooked up on one icy-snowy-cold-late-winter night. If it wasn't for him, I would have been in a bit of a pickle. I still owe you one man!

Storage Unit Move CO 1.jpegStorage Unit Move CO 2.jpegStorage Unit Move CO 3.jpegStorage Unit Move CO 1.jpegStorage Unit Move CO 2.jpegStorage Unit Move CO 3.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

Blowby

Nice,will be following along and you have piqued my interest with the mention of a custom carbon fiber
cabover!

heimbig

OnTheRoadAtLast
Looks like a great build, a couple comments: 1) are you an engineer with experience building 3 point subframe? if not don't do it. Read Fords recommendations for cab and chassis cargo beds. (you can also look at my build/compromise solution in this forum) 2) not sure you will be happy with 16.5 K lbs winches on a vehicle anywhere close to the GVW and you are stuck with those tires - then you are really stuck, 16.5 won't cut it unless you add block system - and caution about how/where that winch is connected to your vehicle. 3) maybe I missed it but if you are doing a full height camper that can be problems even my pop-up camper proved a challenge in many cities in Mexico. Additionally if you are the tallest vehicle going through a jungle or desert track you may find yourself clearing a lot of branches.

Vance Vanz

We have used the LockRack with great success for locking board storage.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks for the recommendation on the locking surf rack mexjtc. I will keep these in mind as I approach the end of the build. They look simple and effective.

Vance Vanz

Glad I piqued your interest on the carbon fiber Blowby. I'm currently in the process of laying up the floor. I should have some pics of the process soon.

Vance Vanz

Looks like a great build, a couple comments: 1) are you an engineer with experience building 3 point subframe? if not don't do it. Read Fords recommendations for cab and chassis cargo beds. (you can also look at my build/compromise solution in this forum) 2) not sure you will be happy with 16.5 K lbs winches on a vehicle anywhere close to the GVW and you are stuck with those tires - then you are really stuck, 16.5 won't cut it unless you add block system - and caution about how/where that winch is connected to your vehicle. 3) maybe I missed it but if you are doing a full height camper that can be problems even my pop-up camper proved a challenge in many cities in Mexico. Additionally if you are the tallest vehicle going through a jungle or desert track you may find yourself clearing a lot of branches.

Thanks heimbig and thanks for the info.

I peaked at your build for a bit; nice rig.

1) Fabrication on the 3 point subframe was just finished up last week, so no turning back now ?. I just need to get it down for powder coating when I have some time. My subframe is very similar to EarthRoamers design, as well as another 3 point subframe on the forum-Dodge with a carbon fiber cab over.

2) I should hit 15.5-16.5K wet on my build, maybe 17K at the most and a snatch block is part of the recovery gear. Hopefully the plan is not to get stuck.

3) Yes, I wont win any awards for being light weight, compact, or nimble. This thing is going to be a beast, very similar to E.R's overall specs. I'm sure there will be several places I will not be able to access given the height of the rig, but that is the price you have to pay for wanting a modern tiny home on wheels. Wherever the rig can't go, I'll be MTB-ing, trail running or back packing to.

Did you and your wife end up traveling as long and as far as you had planned? I'll have to loop back around towards the end of my build to chat about your international adventures.

Vance Vanz

Find a Shop:
A normal size garage wasn't going to cut it, so I had to find a shop to build this thing in. It took a bit longer than expected, but I was fortunate to find something that fit my size requirements (just barely) and my budget.
IMG_6626.jpeg

It needed some serious cleaning, because I don't do a dirty shop.
IMG_6727.jpeg

Last edited:

Vance Vanz

Shop Set Up:
Now that the shop was clean, it was time to set things up and start building some stuff (y).

Gotta get the fridge going
Shop Set Up 1.jpeg

Work bench building ..........
Shop Work Bench Build 1.jpegShop Work Bench Build 3.jpegShop Work Bench Build 4.jpeg

Carbon fiber layup table building ..........
Shop CF LayUp Table Build 2.jpegShop CF LayUp Table Build 3.jpegShop CF LayUp Table Build 4.jpegShop CF LayUp Table Build 6.jpeg

and ..........

Vance Vanz

More Shop Set Up:
Material/Consumables rack building ..........
Shop CF Rack Build 1.jpegShop CF Rack Build 3.jpegShop CF Rack Build 4.jpegShop CF Rack Build 7.jpeg

"Man, am I going to get to work on the truck anytime soon..........?"

Before you ask, the layup table is big, about 8' wide and 19' long. I'm also running various layers of carbon fiber (CF) and doing vacuum bagging and resin infusion, so the material rack is a bit big as well. I also needed to put the material rack on wheels, so I can move it around the shop, as space is limited at the end of the layup table.

My favorite part of the shop so far..................? No, its not the cool looking truck on the left side of the shop........... It's my shop foreman and mascot hanging on the wall. You know, for (those days) that everything is going wrong and you want to drop an F bomb, or maybe even the thought of throwing something somehow crosses your mind for a split second as being a good idea. On those days, I just look up at Mr. Marley, take a few deep breaths, give him a little grin and put on some reggae to chill out.

Hopefully I can squeak through this project without having too many of (those days)?. Wouldn't that be nice!

Last edited:

Vance Vanz

Initial Flex Testing:

Here is some initial and very rudimentary flex testing to see what the chassis flex was looking like after the conversion.

Sheets of plywood
Flex Test 1.jpegFlex Test 3.jpegFlex Test 7.jpeg

Levels/Straight Edges
Flex Test 18.jpegFlex Test 12.jpegFlex Test 13.jpeg

Front wheels during max rear flex test
Flex Test 19.jpegFlex Test 20.jpeg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles