2022 Ford F-150 Lightning Electric Truck

calicamper

Expedition Leader
I've never lived in an area that's likely to lose power for weeks on end but I did live in a house that would lose power for a day or two several times a month and I could see having a battery backup useful in those situations to just keep the fridge cold. The house has a propane generator hardwired with a grid bypass that was super easy to operate but I honestly would've left it off most of the time if it wasn't for food spoilage.

Of course for the F150 to power your house during an outage you have to be home!
After our wild fire shut off 3 yrs ago 6 days, ice blocks for ice chests got old. Not having air purifiers vs heavy smoke sucked. Add home office /COViD factor and going generator route made perfect sense. I have 37 hours in 12 months on the generator worth every penny.

Chorky

Observer
Just had a random thought - though i typically dislike hybrids, the hybrid option of some trucks (not full EV, just hybrid) could be super beneficial to those with campers. Since the lithium battery (for Ford anyway) is already wired to offer operation of higher voltage items. It probably could be used to run all electronics in a camper without having to spend bookoo bucks on a good battery setup.

B^2

Observer
A writer for InsideEVs got to visit Ford's Product Development center and noted a screen range estimate of 472 miles inside the Lightning's control screens. See article here. That lends credence to YouTuber Marques Brownlee's conjecture that the 300 range is a conservative estimate that is predicated on a 1,000 lb. payload. I already placed a deposit for a Lightning and would love to learn there is even more real range than advertised.

does that 1,000lbs of payload include passenger weight or just weight in the bed of the truck?

Grassland

does that 1,000lbs of payload include passenger weight or just weight in the bed of the truck?

I believe what he meant was the range listed assumed the truck was carrying a load of 1000#, not that the payload capacity of the truck was only 1000#
I could be wrong though.

At least the F150 in the pictures posted has a more reasonable center screen.

B^2

Observer
I believe what he meant was the range listed assumed the truck was carrying a load of 1000#, not that the payload capacity of the truck was only 1000#
I could be wrong though.

At least the F150 in the pictures posted has a more reasonable center screen.

Yea, I should have phrased it better. What I was trying to understand is that load of 1,000lbs, whether it includes passenger weight or just the load in the bed of the truck?

Grassland

Canada's ford website still doesn't have much for details when I checked last week
I'm still pissed off that for such a claimed "progressive" government we don't have any tax incentives for electric vehicles like the USA has, on top of our useless dollar and brutal price discrepancy on vehicles between the two countries.
I'm also waiting for some more details on the electric Transit 250/350. Since I don't road trip in the work van, a 300km range on one of those would be sweet.
Could probably make a Reg cab 8' box F150 work with the right topper, but having worked out of my F150 for 4 years I'd really rather not go back to that. Moot point really since it's unlikely Ford will build a straight cab.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
I'm still pissed off that for such a claimed "progressive" government we don't have any tax incentives for electric vehicles like the USA has,
That's cause they'd prefer the tax money only flows one direction...... But yeah, that baffles me too. Although, I *think* BC may have a provincial tax credit. But don't quote me on that.

Grassland

Anyone following the US pricing release for the Lightning?
It seems like a rich person only offering.
I'm seeing ER XLT push 80K, ER Lariat almost mid 80s. I sure hope Ford Canada doesn't just slap exchange rate on those #s
To be fair half the people on my city drive around in Lariat ICE F150s I guess, I suppose 7 years of payments is an option.
No Pro model offered in Canada AFAIK

jbaucom

It looks like they don't want people to buy the XLT with the extended range battery, as it's a $19,500 option (that includes a mandated equipment group upgrade). If you wanted the 312A equipment group with Pro-power onboard, heated seats & steering wheel, LED box lighting, etc, then I guess it's not as bad, but for someone looking for a nice mid-range electric truck with the long range battery, it's a steep price to pay. The long range XLT with 312A is only $3,605 less than the comparably equipped Lightning Lariat with long range battery. The Lariat with long range battery requires stepping up from the 510A package to the 511A, which includes the Towing Tech package, plus leather, heated front & rear seats, driver seat memory, plus the other equipment from the 312A package XLT, making it the obvious choice if you want the long range battery with XLT + level equipment.

Grassland

Just want the equivalent of a 301a gas truck XLT. Really would settle for the 300a equivalent and the extended range. The mandatory package is bull.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
The Silverado / Avalanche EV that was released today looks interesting. I kind of like the look of it in WT. When the Max Tow WT launces later it's saying 20,000 lbs tow rating.

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
Anyone following the US pricing release for the Lightning?
It seems like a rich person only offering.
I'm seeing ER XLT push 80K, ER Lariat almost mid 80s. I sure hope Ford Canada doesn't just slap exchange rate on those #s
To be fair half the people on my city drive around in Lariat ICE F150s I guess, I suppose 7 years of payments is an option.
No Pro model offered in Canada AFAIK
A lot of people just look at it as 600 a month or whatever….lol.

D

Deleted member 144299

That's not far off from the average, per Lending Trees website: The average monthly car payment in the U.S. is $563 for new vehicles, $397 for used vehicles and $450 for leased vehicles. When I bought a new Prius Prime about a year ago the finance guy was saying he sees people end up with +20% APR and put almost nothing down on a regular bases so that probably messing with that figure some.

New cars and trucks are getting really pricey. I would love a simple, no frills BEV 4x4 with a 300-400 mile range and modern safety equipment. It can have manual windows for all I care it just needs to be "affordable."

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
That's not far off from the average, per Lending Trees website: The average monthly car payment in the U.S. is $563 for new vehicles, $397 for used vehicles and $450 for leased vehicles. When I bought a new Prius Prime about a year ago the finance guy was saying he sees people end up with +20% APR and put almost nothing down on a regular bases so that probably messing with that figure some.

New cars and trucks are getting really pricey. I would love a simple, no frills BEV 4x4 with a 300-400 mile range and modern safety equipment. It can have manual windows for all I care it just needs to be "affordable."
Just nuts- saving up to buy stuff is not by parents or in school…

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles