2022 Ford F-150 Lightning Electric Truck

jbaucom

Car and Driver's article, dated today, on the Lightning Pro confirms the $10,000 upcharge for the long range battery (at least on the Pro). It also shows the interior with the 12" screen, and it appears that even the base model will include bucket seats and a full length console. For a base model, I think the Lightning Pro is a pretty sharp looking truck.

85_Ranger4x4

Car and Driver's article, dated today, on the Lightning Pro confirms the $10,000 upcharge for the long range battery (at least on the Pro). It also shows the interior with the 12" screen, and it appears that even the base model will include bucket seats and a full length console. For a base model, I think the Lightning Pro is a pretty sharp looking truck.

The one screen they keep showing is borderline ridiculous.

2022-ford-f-150-lightning-215-1621455477.jpg

NorthwestDriver

I’m not a fan of the screen at this size, though I could probably get used to one about 3” smaller, where the top was even or below the dash edge. I recall hearing the standard screen is 8-9”, so I have hope yet.

jbaucom

The smallest screen on the Lightning is the 12" screen. On the 2021 F150, the base screen is an 8". None of the F150 screens appear to have physical preset buttons as of the 2021 model year.

dstock

Explorer
If the bed is full of battery for the extended range thing, where do you put dirtbike?

Hitch carrier?

Just because Ford filed a patent for an extended battery in the bed, like a tool box, doesn't necessarily mean they're going that route nor does does it mean the bed is full. Manufacturers file all kinds of patents that never see the light of day.

I get it though, might be an issue for people who haul dirtbike(s) or maybe it's just a matter of being creative and putting the front wheel of the dirtbike up on the extender.

85_Ranger4x4

Hitch carrier?

Just because Ford filed a patent for an extended battery in the bed, like a tool box, doesn't necessarily mean they're going that route nor does does it mean the bed is full. Manufacturers file all kinds of patents that never see the light of day.

I get it though, might be an issue for people who haul dirtbike(s) or maybe it's just a matter of being creative and putting the front wheel of the dirtbike up on the extender.

Just saying putting a battery pack in the back of truck to increase the range isn't going to be appealing to everybody. I threw out dirtbike out there. See also ATV, lawn mower, brush, lumber, furniture, fence posts, slide in camper etc.

It is already hobbled with the dinky 5.5" bed so it doesn't have much to lose before it hits the point of "why bother"

Grassland

I'm one of the few guys not buying crew cab trucks, and for my business certainly can't eat up bed space with a battery box.
I get that the majority of North America uses a truck as a car, but there is still a significant portion that uses a truck as a truck.
I can see if ford starts with a crew cab and then if demand proves worth is release super and regular cab options.
But then again, the Tremor is crew cab Short box only

And yeah the giant tv in the middle is ridiculous. I'm on the cusp of being a millenial depending what range you use, and we played Goldeneye on N64 on smaller TVs and Halo on a tv not much bigger. Get that ridiculous monstrosity out of the way and give me buttons I can use with gloves please.

Don't make me buy a Chevy WT please

billiebob

This will expedite the end of the ICE for everyday use. They'll sell so many of these things that the charging infrastructure ( a major turnoff for most car buyers) will naturally be increased and buffed up. Which in turn will entice more EV buyers.

I've never understood why it took this long to make an electric version of the best selling vehicle in America for 30 years now....why they wasted so much time on Cmax hybrids and Fusion hybrids.
you nailed. GMs EV-1 should have sealed the deal but big oil and status quo sent them all to the crusher. Finally, 30 years later we are here again, but global opinion says we are saying good bye to gasoline for good.

Mercedes just said they are no onger investing in fossil fuel engine development, what they have is as good as it will get. VW has just backed out of racing with gas engines. They own Porsche, Audi, Lamborghini, Skoda and Ducati. Ford is obviously committed but North America is a tougher sell so no one is making the commitments Europe is. China and India the most populated countries in the world will determine where we are in 10 years, and we will follow. Or they will quit buying from us.

The Green thing is Global and the Green Thing will determine who is a preferred trade partner.

Mark Carney, Governor of the Bank of Canada 12 years ago, Governor of the Bank of England until last year says the world will hit you with tariffs if you are undercutting your costs buy using fossil fuels instead of investing in alternate energy sources. Me, I'd rather lead the charge than become a world world economy.

Pure business, the market will set the course. Nothing political about it this is pure $$$$.

Last edited:

billiebob

Lots of us wonder about charging infrastructure so lets talk about that.

Admittedly there are some regions struggling today without adding load but would everyone commuting in an EV add load.

EV charging could easily be programmed to happen while we sleep, Midnight to 6am. 50 years ago we were told leaving office lights on overnite was more efficient that turning them off. Maybe true with florescent lights but with LEDs No. So turn off office lights, high rise office building lights at night. Somehow we adapted to charging laptops, cell phones, tablets...... we will do the same with EVs. Home heating will become more efficient. Street lighting has gone from Mercury Vapour to Sodium to LED. Change out everything to LED across the country, another Federal Infrastructure upgrade and suddenly we are there. Plenty of power.

Remember the size of our first cell phones, EVs will do the same thing. Remember how big a 300HP gas engine was is the 1960s and how much gas it sucked compared to todays 300HP turbo V6s with 30 plus MPG. Well EVs are at that 1960s point. In 30 years they might run on a penlight battery.

There is no doom and gloom. This is literally the opportunity of the century. Embrace it.

Sounds like the auto industry is.

I'm just waiting for an electric version of this....

5d68b50e62cdfc0c62f8a8e472ae78a2.jpg

Last edited:

billiebob

Just saying putting a battery pack in the back of truck to increase the range isn't going to be appealing to everybody. I threw out dirtbike out there. See also ATV, lawn mower, brush, lumber, furniture, fence posts, slide in camper etc.

It is already hobbled with the dinky 5.5" bed so it doesn't have much to lose before it hits the point of "why bother"
and yet....

L4MAV0Uh.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles