2022 Ford F-150 Lightning Electric Truck

calicamper

Expedition Leader
I assume so.
Also, what about heat? When it’s -28f and I have a 45 minute commute how much of my range is getting eaten up just keeping the windows defrosted?
That’s if it even has adequate heaters in it.
Of course that brings up the idea of pre heating the car before I get in on a cold day. You wouldn’t need remote start, you’d need remote... pre trip warmup something or other.
Tesla came out with a totally new heat pump system only just recently that is a huge step forward in efficiency for heating and cooling. I do not think they made it free to all, they will license it and collect royalties on the design. Currently only the recent Teslas have it and I’d bet that eventually the other EV makers transition to that and dump the old school inefficient systems ?

85_Ranger4x4

I have a chevron lab nerd two houses over he said nope. Apparently modern sealed gas tanks its not an issue for quite a bit longer. Ran fine has since been gassed up twice. Thanks to longer trips. 62mpg life time average at 70,000 miles.

Braver than me. Especially if it is ethonal. More your fuel pumps problem than mine though.
I assume so.
Also, what about heat? When it’s -28f and I have a 45 minute commute how much of my range is getting eaten up just keeping the windows defrosted?
That’s if it even has adequate heaters in it.
Of course that brings up the idea of pre heating the car before I get in on a cold day. You wouldn’t need remote start, you’d need remote... pre trip warmup something or other.

Just getcha little propane buddy heater to preheat...

gkieser92

Seems like pre-heating an electric vehicle shouldn't be a problem if it's still plugged in, since it doesn't have to drain the battery (or maybe more accurately tops off the battery as it's used) and it seems safer since there's no engine running to produce fumes. AFAIK, electric motors are not greatly affected by ambient temperature either. The only part of an EV really affected by cold is the battery itself. Maybe an EV would benefit from a "battery warmer" like a internal combustion engine benefits from an engine block heater.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Seems like pre-heating an electric vehicle shouldn't be a problem if it's still plugged in, since it doesn't have to drain the battery (or maybe more accurately tops off the battery as it's used) and it seems safer since there's no engine running to produce fumes. AFAIK, electric motors are not greatly affected by ambient temperature either. The only part of an EV really affected by cold is the battery itself. Maybe an EV would benefit from a "battery warmer" like a internal combustion engine benefits from an engine block heater.
Yep they all have that even the early ones.

D

Deleted member 9101

The batteries heat themselvs as you use them...lol.

NorthwestDriver

Put a deposit down for the Lightning. Something I couldn’t bring myself to do with the Cybertruck, R1T, or. R1S. The Rivian vehicles are amazing, but they just don’t fit my use case as well as a full size truck. Going to a 5.5’ bed will be an adjustment, but I made the change to a 6.5’ from an 8’ OK. Going from an extended cab to a super crew was worth the trade off. I couldn’t see going down to a 4’0” bed like in the Rivian, at that point I might as well just drive an SUV and trailer. My neighbor has a utility trailer I use often for bigger loads, but no way do I want to hook that up for every trip to the lumber yard.

All this said, I’d have to sell my F150 and LR3 to make a new truck pencil out and both those have a lot of life left. Maybe if used vehicle prices keep climbing it will become easier to justify. I may not convert my reservation, we’ll see.

givemethewillys

Jonathan Chouinard
I'm really intrigued by this truck, but I don't consider myself an early adopter. I'll more than likely buy one of these as my next truck, but given I just bought a 2016 f150 king ranch last week (5 years old seems to be a sweet spot for mileage/depreciation) itll probably be another 4-5 years before I move in the EV vehicle direction.

I'm assuming that development on these will move forward extremely quickly. We forget that the internal combustion engine has a 100 year head start, but I think we have all of the building blocks in place to make this work.

One of the things that the nay-sayers never take into consideration when charging, is that the bulk of the charge happens really quickly. I wouldn't be surprised if within 5-10 years, they get the charge rate to 80% down to 5 minutes, which would get you at least 100+ more miles.

Add in an auxiliary module (as ford already patented), and range could be a non-issue.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
I'm really intrigued by this truck, but I don't consider myself an early adopter. I'll more than likely buy one of these as my next truck, but given I just bought a 2016 f150 king ranch last week (5 years old seems to be a sweet spot for mileage/depreciation) itll probably be another 4-5 years before I move in the EV vehicle direction.

I'm assuming that development on these will move forward extremely quickly. We forget that the internal combustion engine has a 100 year head start, but I think we have all of the building blocks in place to make this work.

One of the things that the nay-sayers never take into consideration when charging, is that the bulk of the charge happens really quickly. I wouldn't be surprised if within 5-10 years, they get the charge rate to 80% down to 5 minutes, which would get you at least 100+ more miles.

Add in an auxiliary module (as ford already patented), and range could be a non-issue.

Most non EV people don’t realize you don’t “fill the EV all the way up” like we do at the gas pump.

Daily users of EVs know the mileage range they use daily and charge the EV according to that. Example grandma owns a T3 her typical use pattern it’s typically charged at 60% of its full range which is plenty for her typical use.

If a natural disaster ie weather warning is issued Tesla automatically will issue a order to the cars in that region to max range charge. So grandma goes out the next morning after hearing there is a weather warning and her Tesla is already 100% max range charged.

The reason you don’t max range charge EVs all the time? Most people don’t need max range, its just added unnecessary wear on the battery pack etc.

From a charging perspective yes it’s getting far better locally but its still not really a long distance solution. However long distance vehicle use really isn’t a factor today 90+% of vehicle owners never drive more than a few 100 miles. The EV really is a local largest vehicle use targeted product.

“Expedition” forums are likely the 1% vehicle people where a full EV wouldn’t really make sense outside their local use needs?

kmacafee

Adventurer
Does anyone know why the bed is only 5.5 feet long? It will make it hard to find a camper that fits, given that length and the pretty marginal carrying capacity?

D

Deleted member 9101

Does anyone know why the bed is only 5.5 feet long? It will make it hard to find a camper that fits, given that length and the pretty marginal carrying capacity?

Most F150s have the 5.5' bed. Offering a longer bed wouldn't pay off for them.
As for the payload... Its better than many 1/2 ton trucks.

jbaucom

The issue that I have with Ford's range extender is, according to the patent, it will be disguised as a bed mounted toolbox, so it will take up space in an already short bed. I like the idea of a range extender to make EVs viable for remote long-range travel, but taking up bed real estate is another hurdle to overcome for people like us. If the range extender takes up too much room in the bed, then it makes the bed virtually useless for hauling in exchange for alleviating range anxiety. If we used a Lightning with the range extender for extended remote travel, then we would have to buy a trailer to carry the displaced gear. Currently, I can carry everything my family of 4 needs for a week, including 3 bikes and a bike trailer, within the footprint of the truck - no hitch rack or trailer required.

billiebob

would running the AC , navigation, pw , stereo or other equipment affect mpc?
If you go to the TESLA web site you can key in the outside temperature and it will adjust the vehicles range. Yes 40 below affects the range of an electric car but I think 40 below has a bigger effect on the range of a gasoline engine.,,,, and no manufacturer will tell you how cold weather affects their gas mileage.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles