2022 Ford F-150 Lightning Electric Truck

85_Ranger4x4

It is kind of a Goldilocks size, isn't it? I mean I could get the WHOLE cord of wood in a 3/4 ton, but that's only something that's A Thing a few days a year.

We considered a Ranger, but I'm 6'2" and for 500 mile road trips with the family and dog, I'm glad to have the cabin space. I quit considering it when I realized the newer F150s have gas mileage real close to a Ranger. If I could afford a quiver of vehicles, I'd trick out a Ranger as a more off-road centric vehicle for getting around on the tight logging roads around here.

I am 6'-3" and have driven my Ranger farther from home than I have my F-150. :ROFLMAO:

'150's farthest is an hour west of Chicago, Ranger' s an hour west of Pittsburg.

I need to rebuild the seat but otherwise it is a nice cruiser. It's headed back to Attica again this year.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
I heard the Hummer was nearly 10,000lbs empty.
I think Ford did a impressive job its a truck, looks like a truck. Prices are way lower than expected! I read some of the posts on price above. Sorry guys but the EV game aint cheap. If a loaded T3 with no where near as capable in many ways hell even cup holders capacity is $60,000 its impressive Ford threw down the challenge of a serious contender under 50k and nicely optioned at 60k.

I think the EV truck game will be determined by weight. If the Lightning weighs less than most of its rivals it’s easily going to out class them in payload and range.

jbaucom

I heard the Hummer was nearly 10,000lbs empty.

The Hummer EV has a GVWR of 10,400 lbs, leaving the Edition 1 with less than 1,400 lbs of payload. The Hummer EV is a truck that weighs more than a 1 ton diesel dually and can barely haul more than a Tacoma. It makes little sense as a truck, and a lot more as a fashion/lifestyle statement. It has solid off-road and performance specs, and removable tops, but that's really where I see its advantages end.

jbaucom

I wish someone would build a PHEV truck with around 20-30 miles available on a charge. I'm a little surprised Ford didn't take this route with the Powerboost option. I could make my daily commute and run around at lunch using battery power, then use the same vehicle for long trips with no compromises.

I really like the Jeep Wrangler 4xe and would buy one now if a Wrangler would meet our needs, but it won't, which is why I drive an F150 and my wife drives a Subaru.

85_Ranger4x4

I wish someone would build a PHEV truck with around 20-30 miles available on a charge. I'm a little surprised Ford didn't take this route with the Powerboost option. I could make my daily commute and run around at lunch using battery power, then use the same vehicle for long trips with no compromises.

I think it is going to have short legs for doing real truck stuff, something more hybrid-like could have made up for it.

For roughly 80% of what I do the Lightning would be fine... but for that 20% I might as well have a golf cart.

calicamper

Expedition Leader

I really like the Jeep Wrangler 4xe and would buy one now if a Wrangler would meet our needs, but it won't, which is why I drive an F150 and my wife drives a Subaru.
This is exactly what I’ve been using my wifes Fusion Energi for local trips all Pandemic no joke it went 13 months with no trips to the gas station EV only.

Fords Exlorer and F150 Hybrids were designed for fleet use ie not plugin. It still does EV only driving but you can’t really plan the EV use like the Plugin.

85_Ranger4x4

This is exactly what I’ve been using my wifes Fusion Energi for local trips all Pandemic no joke it went 13 months with no trips to the gas station EV only.

Fords Exlorer and F150 Hybrids were designed for fleet use ie not plugin. It still does EV only driving but you can’t really plan the EV use like the Plugin.

You could be getting an interesting varnish concoction cooked up in your fuel tank...

jbaucom

As I understand it, the Chevy Volt starts the gas engine periodically just to ensure that fuel system issues don't develop as a result of long periods between refueling. Does the Fusion Energi not do this also?

calicamper

Expedition Leader
As I understand it, the Chevy Volt starts the gas engine periodically just to ensure that fuel system issues don't develop as a result of long periods between refueling. Does the Fusion Energi not do this also?
Yes its basically Toyota plug-in hybrid only actually built for the US market. Charger plug is on the correct side?, actually has a interior you can take a CEO to the lear jet in without being embarrassed how cheap the interior is etc.
LOL

Buddha.

Finally in expo white.
would running the AC , navigation, pw , stereo or other equipment affect mpc?
I assume so.
Also, what about heat? When it’s -28f and I have a 45 minute commute how much of my range is getting eaten up just keeping the windows defrosted?
That’s if it even has adequate heaters in it.
Of course that brings up the idea of pre heating the car before I get in on a cold day. You wouldn’t need remote start, you’d need remote... pre trip warmup something or other.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles