2022 Ford F-150 Lightning Electric Truck

kmacafee

Adventurer
I knew that there was more to the story! Also... Mine does just fine in the snow.
I tried to get it to slide with all systems on and it was easy to do. My guess is wrong tires -- low profile - but it can be done. In fact, all vehicles can be made to slide if you know what you're doing.

I'm sure yours does fine if you take it easy. I wanted to see if it would slide in normal winter conditions -- snow and ice -- and it does. No weight in the back end will do that.

Not sure what "more to the story means" -- I don't want an aluminum truck but that has nothing to do with making it slide, except perhaps the lighter weight. Insurance companies love the new aluminum trucks -- they charge higher premiums because the cost to repair is significantly higher. I'm guessing by your title that you're a bit of a fan boy.

D

Deleted member 9101

I tried to get it to slide with all systems on and it was easy to do. My guess is wrong tires -- low profile - but it can be done. In fact, all vehicles can be made to slide if you know what you're doing.

I'm sure yours does fine if you take it easy. I wanted to see if it would slide in normal winter conditions -- snow and ice -- and it does. No weight in the back end will do that.

Not sure what "more to the story means" -- I don't want an aluminum truck but that has nothing to do with making it slide, except perhaps the lighter weight. Insurance companies love the new aluminum trucks -- they charge higher premiums because the cost to repair is significantly higher. I'm guessing by your title that you're a bit of a fan boy.

L m a o!!!! My Aluminum F150 has a cheaper insurance premium than the steel Tundra it replaced. It also has a cheaper cost to repair accident damage due to the way it's built:

Once again... Mine doesn't slide around in "normal winter driving conditions." Doesn't slide in Massachusetts, doesn't slide in New Hampshire, doesn't slide in New York, doesn't slide in New Mexico, doesn't slide in Texas. I'd have to actually get it to try to slide in snow and ice.

Also...I had 35 series tires on my past two Tundras.... Neither had a problem in the snow. My wife's Fusion with 40 series tires doesn't have any problems in the snow. I've had no shortage of vehicles with "low profile" tires and they did just fine in the snow.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 9101

Oh look...more articles.

FYI: the only time the Aluminum F150 cost more to repair was right after it was introduced. Once shops were trained, the labor cost dropped due to the way the truck is assembled.

kmacafee

Adventurer
I have decades of experience working with insurance companies and law enforcement agencies on vehicle issues. I’m sure the Lightning will be great but facts are facts - I like to rely on facts and experience, not on industry press which is typically marketing. You are certainly entitled to your opinion, but not your own set of facts.

jbaucom

My 2019 F150 costs less to insure than my 2014 GMC Sierra. Traction in snow/ice/wet is about tread pattern, compound, and appropriate tire pressure, not the aspect ratio of the tire. Vehicles are shipped with inappropriate tires for snow & ice (with very few exceptions), everyone knows that. Any vehicle can be made to slide on snow/ice/wet, regardless of active driver assist technologies, if one tries hard enough. Ford did a good job with their traction & stability controls on the new F150s; in snow/wet mode I can accelerate pretty hard uphill from a stoplight with very little wheel slippage. It works about as well on wet roads in town as GMs auto 4WD.

D

Deleted member 9101

I have decades of experience working with insurance companies and law enforcement agencies on vehicle issues. I’m sure the Lightning will be great but facts are facts - I like to rely on facts and experience, not on industry press which is typically marketing. You are certainly entitled to your opinion, but not your own set of facts.

Fact: my insurance is cheaper for my 2017 F150 than it was for my 2015 Tundra. Both crew cab, both 2wd, both registered to the same address, both with the same two drivers, both with the same policy. My insurance dropped the day I took the Tundra off and added the F150.

Please provide something proving that a aluminum F150 is more expensive to repair than a steel bodied truck. We'll all wait for something that is not from 2015 claiming the F150 is more expensive to repair.

Also...you have exactly zero experience with the Lightning.

*Florida Highway Patrol went with the F150 and is phasing out their Tahoe's.... One reason they went with the F150... Cheaper repair cost after an accident.

D

Deleted member 9101

My 2019 F150 costs less to insure than my 2014 GMC Sierra. Traction in snow/ice/wet is about tread pattern, compound, and appropriate tire pressure, not the aspect ratio of the tire. Vehicles are shipped with inappropriate tires for snow & ice (with very few exceptions), everyone knows that. Any vehicle can be made to slide on snow/ice/wet, regardless of active driver assist technologies, if one tries hard enough. Ford did a good job with their traction & stability controls on the new F150s; in snow/wet mode I can accelerate pretty hard uphill from a stoplight with very little wheel slippage. It works about as well on wet roads in town as GMs auto 4WD.

Nailed it!

Davi Florea

Nice! What about logistics? long trip into the rural landscape of the america's and beyond? I dont think so. Driving across state and back after a recharge probably. Performance needs real world trials. right now its not feasable for the average person. it an expensive novelty.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
Insurance companies love the new aluminum trucks -- they charge higher premiums because the cost to repair is significantly higher.
I have not found that to be the case. I would suggest getting a couple insurance quotes on a couple trucks to compare.

However I guess if you are not interested in aluminum, it's a moot point.

I believe a lot of companies will be using more and more aluminum in the construction of the truck bodies....

The new Ram 1500's use an aluminum tailgate. So I suspect more use of aluminum is on the way there.

Toyota has not mentioned to the best of my knowledge what the 2022 Tundra will be made from. I suspect we will find out shortly though.

Last edited:

jbaucom

Nice! What about logistics? long trip into the rural landscape of the america's and beyond? I dont think so. Driving across state and back after a recharge probably. Performance needs real world trials. right now its not feasable for the average person. it an expensive novelty.

Right now it's perfectly feasible for the average person. The average person very rarely drives more than a couple hours from home and flies to their destination when taking a long trip. Additional planning is necessary when using EVs for long distance travel, but with ~300 miles of range, the average person need not suffer from range anxiety.

D

Deleted member 9101

1. Most people don't make extended voyages into the back country.

2. Most people don't plan on driving their vehicle outside of the US.

3. It's far from expensive. In fact, after the federal tax credit, even if you pay full sticker it's still cheaper than a gas STX F150.

4. Ford literally said that they designed it to meet the needs of the majority of their 1/2 ton truck buyers.

D

Deleted member 9101

Right now it's perfectly feasible for the average person. The average person very rarely drives more than a couple hours from home and flies to their destination when taking a long trip. Additional planning is necessary when using EVs for long distance travel, but with ~300 miles of range, the average person need not suffer from range anxiety.

I'm pretty average and with the exception of 2 annual trips ( quick trips from FL-NH and FL-NM) it meets 100% of my needs.

Give battery technology a few years and gas motors will be almost irrelevant for most consumers.

D

Deleted member 9101

I have not found that to be the case. I would suggest getting a couple insurance quotes on a couple trucks to compare.

However I guess if you are not interested in aluminum, it's a moot point.

I believe a lot of companies will be using more and more aluminum in the construction of the truck bodies....

The new Ram 1500's use an aluminum tailgate. So I suspect more use of aluminum is on the way there.

Toyota has not mentioned to the best of my knowledge what the 2022 Tundra will be made from. I suspect we will find out shortly though.

People seem unaware that body panels have been made out of aluminum for decades...lol. Ford has used Aluminum hoods for many years... Peterbilt has been building aluminum trucks since 1945. Mack rolled their first aluminum truck out in 1959. Class 8 trucks have also had the option for aluminum frames for about 50 years...lol. Aluminum is nothing new.... haha

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94