2022 Chevy Silverado ZR2

jbaucom

This truck is not a raptor and trx competitor, watch the TFL video. It’s basically a trail boss with a few more options.
Honestly, GM took a completely different design philosophy from what Ford and Ram took with the Raptor and TRX. The Raptor and the TRX really aren’t even comparable to one another because of the power and fuel economy difference. For buyers who will never get their truck dirty, the Raptor and TRX give them more bragging rights than the ZR2. For people who will use them as advertised, I’d say the Raptor and TRX will have more appeal to buyers in areas with wide open areas, and the ZR2 will have more appeal in areas with tighter, wooded, trails and FSRs. The ZR2 has a slight payload advantage and about a 10% towing advantage over the Raptor and TRX.

I see the ZR2 as a very well rounded off road truck that only lacks lower gearing and a bigger fuel tank.

Grassland

Raptor is $110k CAD locally, if ZR2 is $20k less then it's a touch more palatable. What prices come down to when COVID ends might make it something more accessible to people.
I've not looked at it yet as anything sub 32 gallon tank is immediately removed from my list, but to get an "off-road" truck sans tons of frills and features isn't a thing anymore.
I guess people have done the math, the amount of people who want lockers and better suspension etc also want power everything and leather, sunroofs, massaging seats etc

2022 is the mid cycle refresh. They’re continuing to sell the older style as the Silverado LTD, and the refreshed one as the Silverado.

It’s a similar concept to what they and other have done before (Silverado/Sierra Classic, F-150 Heritage, RAM 1500 Classic).
The Silverado 1500 LTD and Sierra 1500 LTD were an interim model until the 2022 refresh models became available, and can no longer be ordered. GM will not continue to build the 1500 LTD. Based on the GM distribution updates it appears that ordering for the 1500 LTD stopped in late December or early January. There are 1500 LTDs still making their way to dealers. Distribution after build has been slow, in part due to a shortage of truck drivers.

So are they discontinue the Trail Boss then?
Isn't there still a Z71 or did they ditch that when the Trail Boss came out?
Trail Boss is still available as the Custom Trail Boss and the LT Trail Boss. They include Z7X: Suspension Package, Z71 Off-Road equipment with 2" lift. Z7X is not available with other trim levels. The Custom Trail Boss and LT Trail Boss are distinct trim levels of the Silverado 1500 in the GM system, and are essentially based on the Custom and LT trim levels respectively. Z7X is not available on other trim levels.

Z71 Off-Road Package is available on Work Truck, LT, RST, LTZ and High Country trim levels. It includes (Z71) Off-Road suspension, (JHD) Hill Descent Control, (NZZ) skid plates, (K47) heavy-duty air filter, (G80) locking differential (NQH) 2-speed transfer case, all terrain tires and Z71 hard badges. It does not include the 2" lift. Z71 is not available with certain other options such as NHT Max Trailering or 22" wheels and tires. (Z71 hard badges not included with High Country trim.)

Z71 is not a trim level.

The GMC Sierra 1500 AT4 trim level is equivalent to, but not identical to, the Chevrolet 1500 LT Trail Boss.

The GMC version of Z71 is X31 which is available on Pro, SLE, Elevation and SLT trim levels.

Grassland

In April last year, IF you could find one, a Custom Trail Boss could be bad for low 40s.
Mid 40s with the 6.2 and ten speed.
It seemed like a better value, a decent mix of useful features and visuals like no chrome. The skid plates were pretty ho hum in my opinion.

Does this new ZR2 have the fancy boron skid plates that the Colorado had/has?

SDDiver5

Expedition Leader
Honestly, GM took a completely different design philosophy from what Ford and Ram took with the Raptor and TRX. The Raptor and the TRX really aren’t even comparable to one another because of the power and fuel economy difference. For buyers who will never get their truck dirty, the Raptor and TRX give them more bragging rights than the ZR2. For people who will use them as advertised, I’d say the Raptor and TRX will have more appeal to buyers in areas with wide open areas, and the ZR2 will have more appeal in areas with tighter, wooded, trails and FSRs. The ZR2 has a slight payload advantage and about a 10% towing advantage over the Raptor and TRX.

I see the ZR2 as a very well rounded off road truck that only lacks lower gearing and a bigger fuel tank.
This.

It's perfectly inbetween. Absolutely not a Raptor or TRX competitor, not even close. This truck is perfeclty in line with the F150 Tremor. And minus the fuel tank and gearing...it's basically the same truck.

jbaucom

The Multimatic shocks, front & rear e-lockers, high clearance front bumper, and exhaust tucked away behind the rear bumper for improved clearance elevate it above the Tremor. The Tremor is much more comparable to the Trail Boss, with only the optional Torsen front differential being a major differentiating factor. Neither the Tremor nor the Trail Boss have anything resembling a special suspension. The Multimatic shocks themselves elevate it well above the Tremor, with its Tremor spec monotube front and twin-tube rear shocks.

PirateMcGee

Expedition Leader
A Tremor with the Torsen front (arguably better for real world driving conditions besides crawling) is 55k....15k buys a lot of shock and bumper.

jbaucom

A Tremor with the Torsen front (arguably better for real world driving conditions besides crawling) is 55k....15k buys a lot of shock and bumper.
That is a base Tremor with the only option being the Torsen front differential. A comparably equipped Tremor requires the Tremor High equipment group, because the Silverado ZR2 is standard with heated leather seats and driver memory, and that truck lists for $68,970. A base ZR2 is $69,195 - $225 doesn't buy much shock and bumper.

jbaucom

I will add, the base F150 Tremor is a pretty stupendous value. It's not much more than an STX FX4 with the 3.5TT. I built a new STX 4x4 like mine and it was over $53K; its MSRP had increased over $6,000 more than my 2019.

PirateMcGee

Expedition Leader
That is a base Tremor with the only option being the Torsen front differential. A comparably equipped Tremor requires the Tremor High equipment group, because the Silverado ZR2 is standard with heated leather seats and driver memory, and that truck lists for $68,970. A base ZR2 is $69,195 - $225 doesn't buy much shock and bumper.

I get that. Was just making the point that a Tremor could be had for much less albeit with the caveat that it will have less doodads on the interior.

nwoods

Expedition Leader
I for one, am super happy to see GM making an effort. Scott's recent review was pretty on target, though it said something quite alarming at the very end that needs more scrutiny:
"Knee hits 4wd switch (which will likely lead to damage)"

Scott is not a big guy, maybe almost 6' tall? For him to have knee room problems is inexcusable. I will never understand how mgr's can spend literally a BILLION dollars designing a vehicle and screw up the ergonomics like that. Previous generations of GM trucks had the window switches on the doors in such a way that every time I turned a corner the window would go down because my leg would push up against the switch... and the Colorado interior looks like it was designed by toy maker Fisher Price.

There is a strong positive element though, that I was pleased to see (in addition to the front locker). That they strengthened the CV joints.
"6. Significantly upgraded CV axles with added strength and travel"

I have been on numerous runs with (lifted) GM trucks and have had a front drive shaft let go on every single run. I am now quite familiar with how to effect a field repair so that they can get home. I would have never seriously considered a GM truck because of those fragile front ends, but they fact that they strengthened it is very encouraging!

AbleGuy

Officious Intermeddler
Road and Track is also having a riotous love affair with the ZR2 (posted yesterday):

“The 2022 Chevrolet Silverado ZR2 is a performance truck that can actually play the role of great daily-driver alongside being a capable off-roader. No, it doesn’t have bulging muscle fenders, or booked-on-Expedia suspension travel, or astral-projection power figures. Instead, The ZR2 package takes a more practical approach to improving how the Silverado performs without self-conscious over-decoration. The result is an affordable truck with a broader use case that should appeal to more people.

the ZR2 is essentially no wider than any other Silverado. So by sheer virtue of its thinner size, it can get places that neither a Raptor nor a TRX ever could. During a drive through some of Joshua Tree National Park, the ZR2 would just barely be able to squeeze through some of the more challenging trails, gigantic boulders on either side ready to mulch wheels and bend metal. The Dodge (er, Ram) or Ford would be impossible— they’re simply too wide.”

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles